Ollie's Press Conference - Interesting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie's Press Conference - Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly what are KO's options....Lubin & T'Sam play 35mins? We are stuck with a team that is very top heavy & bottom heavy with not much in between. Boat, Hamilton & maybe Brimah are reliable, talented, hungry D1 starters....the rest are all lacking in 1 or 3 aspects.

Reaction Score
Honestly what are KO's options....Lubin & T'Sam play 35mins? We are stuck with a team that is very top heavy & bottom heavy with not much in between. Boat, Hamilton & maybe Brimah are reliable, talented, hungry D1 starters....the rest are all lacking in 1 or 3 aspects.
His option was to find grad players who wanted to play for the National Champs last spring instead of flushing two scholarships down the toilet.

Reaction Score
" I got to find guys that want to play for each other and not for themselves "
Translation: KO is talking about Boatright

" At least Boat tried to play while Hurt, while others are sitting on the bench being Hurt "
Translation: KO talking about Omar number 1 and the Ferrari number 2.

On the first point. In the last 3 minutes, boat had a wide open Hamilton on the wing twice while he was dribbling at the top. I mean wide open. Both times, he tried to do it himself. Once he got stripped and one he jacked up a bad 3. If he passed to Hamilton either time, we probably win the game.

Reaction Score
" I got to find guys that want to play for each other and not for themselves "
Translation: KO is talking about Boatright

" At least Boat tried to play while Hurt, while others are sitting on the bench being Hurt "
Translation: KO talking about Omar number 1 and the Ferrari number 2.

Nobody else can create their own shot and nobody else can hit a shot outside of Boat I seriously doubt he was talking about Boat. Boat is the only one who has pride in the UConn jersey the only one who hustles and tries to do everything because the rest of the guys are lazy and like I said earlier this week Boat needs to call them out.

Reaction Score
His option was to find grad players who wanted to play for the National Champs last spring instead of flushing two scholarships down the toilet.
I'm guessing he thought he had a glut of Guards already....Boat, Purvis, Calhoun, TSam, Cassell....hasn't worked out yet obviously. Not going to find a lot Grad student big men though. It's ugly offensively no doubt, if we ever get all 5 guards healthy maybe different story.

Reaction Score

Didn't he try to work something out for a player or two and it didn't come to fruition? I seem to recall UConn being in on a transfer or two. Besides, I believe he gave the scholarships to the walk ons after the point new players could commit for this year.

Reaction Score
He tried and then gave up. Boat, who was probably hurting just as much if not more, didn't. And there's the problem.

Purvis had a high ankle sprain. Boatright didn't. Are you saying Purvis refused to go in when Ollie called on him?

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Giving schollies to walkons is a nice gesture but...we couldn't find two dudes on the planet that wanted to play for the national champs that could actually help the team outside of APR? Find a dude who can rebound KO...

He tried to get Justin Martin. He couldn't. He tried to get Calvin Godfrey. He couldn't.

Don't act like he immediately gave the walk-ons scholarships. He gave them the scholarships only after he exhausted all of his options.

Reaction Score

You don't realize how dumb the implication is that there were a bevy of these guys that we turned down? Use your head. You're just assuming that guys were line up to play here - even though you can't name a single one - and that Ollie turned them down. It's just dumb. You have to get these kids to commit. If you want to see the grad students that UConn was in on watch a Gonzaga game or an Iowa State game.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Didn't he try to work something out for a player or two and it didn't come to fruition? I seem to recall UConn being in on a transfer or two. Besides, I believe he gave the scholarships to the walk ons after the point new players could commit for this year.

I didn't see your post before I posted mine, but this is true. He tried to get Justin Martin and Calvin Godfrey. They went to SMU and Memphis, respectively.

Reaction Score
I didn't see your post before I posted mine, but this is true. He tried to get Justin Martin and Calvin Godfrey. They went to SMU and Memphis, respectively.

Godfrey was the one I was thinking of. Thanks.

Reaction Score
You don't realize how dumb the implication is that there were a bevy of these guys that we turned down? Use your head. You're just assuming that guys were line up to play here - even though you can't name a single one - and that Ollie turned them down. It's just dumb. You have to get these kids to commit. If you want to see the grad students that UConn was in on watch a Gonzaga game or an Iowa State game.
Exactly. Don't be "in on a guy." Go get them.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing he thought he had a glut of Guards already....Boat, Purvis, Calhoun, TSam, Cassell....hasn't worked out yet obviously. Not going to find a lot Grad student big men though. It's ugly offensively no doubt, if we ever get all 5 guards healthy maybe different story.

Problem is Purv hasnt been what many expected (ive never been impressed) and Omar injured has forced two players who shouldve been part time contributors(Tsam,SamJr) heavy minutes. Both those guys lack athleticsm and handle and thats a big problem. Brimah hasnt developed offensively like we hoped and needed which wouldnt be a problem except this team cant shoot. Could be a long year. Will be interesting to see if Ollie can turn it around.

Reaction Score
On the first point. In the last 3 minutes, boat had a wide open Hamilton on the wing twice while he was dribbling at the top. I mean wide open. Both times, he tried to do it himself. Once he got stripped and one he jacked up a bad 3. If he passed to Hamilton either time, we probably win the game.

And how many times has Hamilton got the ball when he was wide open and not shoot and just chose to pass it and I'm not talking about just this game.

Reaction Score
Problem is Purv hasnt been what many expected (ive never been impressed) and Omar injured has forced two players who shouldve been part time contributors(Tsam,SamJr) heavy minutes. Both those guys lack athleticsm and handle and thats a big problem. Brimah hasnt developed offensively like we hoped and needed which wouldnt be a problem except this team cant shoot. Could be a long year. Will be interesting to see if Ollie can turn it around.
I don't question TSam's athleticism but damn...Cassell Jr looks like he is in over his head out there. Moving 2-3 steps behind everyone else.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And do what, hold them at gun point? Storrs isn't for everyone. Kids make choices based on a slew of variables.

Exactly. I don't get why people think recruiting is as simple as pressing the A button in College Hoops 2K.

Reaction Score

Ok, which of these guys (a partial list) was KO supposed to "go and get", like he's walking into Target?

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/...5th-year-transfer-list-trevor-thompson-purdue

Edit: Also do you know for a fact that their academics are good enough to get them through UConn admissions? KO probably has some insight into this and wouldn't even chase after a kid he can't get through Wilbur Cross (or where ever the hell admissions is now.)

Reaction Score
I don't question TSam's athleticism but damn...Cassell Jr looks like he is in over his head out there. Moving 2-3 steps behind everyone else.
The only thing SamJr should be doing is looking to get an open shot from 3 and thats it. He shouldnt be trying to create his own shot, driving or bringing it up court. He should also lose some weight.

Reaction Score
Ok, which of these guys (a partial list) was KO supposed to "go and get", like he's walking into Target?

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/...5th-year-transfer-list-trevor-thompson-purdue

Edit: Also do you know for a fact that their academics are good enough to get them through UConn admissions? KO probably has some insight into this and wouldn't even chase after a kid he can't get through Wilbur Cross (or where ever the hell admissions is now.)
MJ Rhett would have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger