Ollie | The Boneyard

Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gotta let this play out.

It will actually get Huskies basketball more media coverage. Having Ollie working to get his contract will keep the Huskies on the airwaves, give the talking heads something to opine about, and keep us relevant in a season that the media would otherwise ignore.

Reaction Score
What I like about KO's substitutions thus far is I believe he is awarding good practices for their early playing time. I've noticed different players being 1st, 2nd or 3rd in every game thus far and although it could be based on the team they are playing, I do think it's how they're practicing.

Also he lets them play through an error, mental or otherwise, but if there is not a positive change he will sit people and for long sessions. I like his patterns thus far and he has a nice flow!!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
What I like about KO's substitutions thus far is I believe he is awarding good practices for their early playing time. I've noticed different players being 1st, 2nd or 3rd in every game thus far and although it could be based on the team they are playing, I do think it's how they're practicing.

Also he lets them play through an error, mental or otherwise, but if there is not a positive change he will sit people and for long sessions. I like his patterns thus far and he has a nice flow!!

The one decision about playing time I am beginning to question is the starting and the amount of time Omar is getting at the expense of Giffey getting more involved to start the year. I think that Omar is an important player who we need to develop, but he is going to take some time to get ready for this level of play. I'm not talking about a huge shift, but Giffey is playing better than Omar at this time (IMHO) and could be on the verge of stepping up another notch in his play.

Reaction Score
The one decision about playing time I am beginning to question is the starting and the amount of time Omar is getting at the expense of Giffey getting more involved to start the year. I think that Omar is an important player who we need to develop, but he is going to take some time to get ready for this level of play. I'm not talking about a huge shift, but Giffey is playing better than Omar at this time (IMHO) and could be on the verge of stepping up another notch in his play.

Thought last game was pretty good split between the two. Having Gif and Evans ready to come in is good and 30-35 minutes between them is good. I would like to see 5 or so less minutes for Bazz, don't like 35 minutes as he and Boatright need to max at 30 minutes given how much they give up in height/weight each game and the beating they take, need them as strong/fresh as they can be for winning time. Gif and Calhoun together on floor some more makes some sense to me.

Reaction Score

At some point soon I would agree Db2u and we're getting close......more than likely KO trying to find his confidence and not losing him ala DD last year!! But Niels has earned more I agree........somewhere.

Reaction Score
Gotta let this play out.

It will actually get Huskies basketball more media coverage. Having Ollie working to get his contract will keep the Huskies on the airwaves, give the talking heads something to opine about, and keep us relevant in a season that the media would otherwise ignore.

I'd rather give Brandon Austin assurances of the future than let all this play out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He basically had been playing Giffey at the 4 and having him substitute for DD. When those two got in foul trouble it was LT playing the 4.

OC is usually subbed out by RJ. No hard rules because of the lack of bench. Sometimes Giffey does come in for OC but as a rule KO is saving Giffey for the 4 spot.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Apropos of nothing DB2U , your son came up and introduced himself at Toads Place last night.... Nice kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing DB2U , your son came up and introduced himself at Toads Place last night.... Nice kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! He's a big fan of Shakedown.

H

Husk-E

He's coached 3 freakin games! I agree that he has looked pretty sharp but there has not been any reason yet to sign him to an unearned long term contract extension.

Reaction Score
He's coached 3 freakin games! I agree that he has looked pretty sharp but there has not been any reason yet to sign him to an unearned long term contract extension.

There has not been any reason? Say wha?

Reaction Score
I'm with upstater, I'm okay that you don't think he should get it yet but to say "there has not been any reason..." is wrong. Maybe not enough yet but what has been done in 3 games has been impressive.

H

Husk-E

I'm with upstater, I'm okay that you don't think he should get it yet but to say "there has not been any reason..." is wrong. Maybe not enough yet but what has been done in 3 games has been impressive.
Listen to what you're saying! "What has been done in 3 games has been impressive!" I think that Ollie may turn out to be a good coach but I just don't think that he has fully earned it yet. If you give him some time I'm sure he will, but not yet.

Reaction Score
Listen to what you're saying! "What has been done in 3 games has been impressive!" I think that Ollie may turn out to be a good coach but I just don't think that he has fully earned it yet. If you give him some time I'm sure he will, but not yet.

This earning on the job thing is for the birds. Either you know what you're doing or you don't, and if Manuel doesn't know what he has yet, then he needs to move on to another line of business. Earning on the job is something that's just not done in major college basketball. Even if you hire a guy like Bill O'Brien at PSU who is clearly your 4th or 5th choice, you support him, because the alternative is pretty ugly.

H

Husk-E

This earning on the job thing is for the birds. Either you know what you're doing or you don't, and if Manuel doesn't know what he has yet, then he needs to move on to another line of business. Earning on the job is something that's just not done in major college basketball. Even if you hire a guy like Bill O'Brien at PSU who is clearly your 4th or 5th choice, you support him, because the alternative is pretty ugly.
Are you saying all of our alternatives are ugly? I think not. Also if you don't think earning of your job is the correct thing in basketball why don't you just watch the lakers franchise, i'm sure they would disagree. Why don't we just hire Jeff Adrien to coach our team in a few years if you don't need to earn your job.

Reaction Score
Are you saying all of our alternatives are ugly? I think not. Also if you don't think earning of your job is the correct thing in basketball why don't you just watch the lakers franchise, i'm sure they would disagree. Why don't we just hire Jeff Adrien to coach our team in a few years if you don't need to earn your job.

Earn ON the job. Not, Earn YOUR job.

Reaction Score
Yes, and so far he has not earned an extension on the job.

OK, I'll repeat my post so it isn't getting through. Earning on the job is a sure recipe for failure in bigtime college ball. Like fighting with both arms behind your back while walking on a pogo stick.

The guy is clearly in no mood for such distractions. Just support the guy and see what he can do.
It's hard for me to believe there are all these negative nellies around when it comes to Ollie. Are you watching the games?

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is the best man for the job. Not only is his hard work, commitment, and passion for the program abundantly clear, the players relate to him and genuinely play hard for him. He is respected all throughout the basketball world, not only for his talented basketball mind, but because he's legitimately a great guy. That's the kind of person we want representing the University of Connecticut.

But even on top of all of that, Kevin Ollie offers something that no other coach can: keeping the program "in the family." Some people may discount this, but it cannot be overstated how valuable it is to have all of our former players (and of course Coach Calhoun) support our coach and the program. If we hire someone from outside of the "family", much of the tradition and history that Calhoun has built over the past 25 years will be gone.

Warde Manuel needs to give Ollie the extension he deserves ASAP.

H

Husk-E

OK, I'll repeat my post so it isn't getting through. Earning on the job is a sure recipe for failure in bigtime college ball. Like fighting with both arms behind your back while walking on a pogo stick.

The guy is clearly in no mood for such distractions. Just support the guy and see what he can do.
It's hard for me to believe there are all these negative nellies around when it comes to Ollie. Are you watching the games?
For the last time, since this also seems to not be getting through- I don't hate Ollie! I just do not think that he has earned a coaching spot. I'm not saying he can't, and I will let you keep your opinions, it's just that there are some key hurdles to overcome before we can see that he is 100% the right fit for the job. I didn't say he wasn't close though.

caw

Reaction Score
For the last time, since this also seems to not be getting through- I don't hate Ollie! I just do not think that he has earned a coaching spot. I'm not saying he can't, and I will let you keep your opinions, it's just that there are some key hurdles to overcome before we can see that he is 100% the right fit for the job. I didn't say he wasn't close though.

And what pray tell are those hurdles? He looks the part on the sideline, he does a great job at teaching, does a good job relating to kids, has shown some solid play calling and getting the kids to execute. He's getting 100% effort. He may only have 3 games/wins under his belt but I could have sworn everyone and their mother agreeing this isn't about wins/losses this year.

Reaction Score

That's fine. The only point I'm making is that a BCS/D1 school is not a place for earning ON the job. Manuel should have made Hobbs interim coach, if this was his intention.

H

Husk-E

And what pray tell are those hurdles? He looks the part on the sideline, he does a great job at teaching, does a good job relating to kids, has shown some solid play calling and getting the kids to execute. He's getting 100% effort. He may only have 3 games/wins under his belt but I could have sworn everyone and their mother agreeing this isn't about wins/losses this year.
I'm not talking about how many games he wins, the major hurdles are going to be how they bounce back after a tough loss, and how well the players develop this year. If he at least does decent on those two topics then I say go for it. Sign him to a 20 year 30 million dollar contract or whatever, but he still has this season to think about first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom