Ollie threatening to sue UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie threatening to sue UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is anyone really (I mean, REALLY) surprised that KO is all in for all he can get?
Seems this should be no surprise...good will, fan favor, and unwritten rules don't make the mortgage payment...
Not sure how else anyone could have predicted it would play out.

On my earlier $5.5M estimate...thinking now, if anything, it will be higher.

How can you possibly believe that given how broad the definition of cause is? I predict a settlement in the 2.5 to 3.5 range at most.

C

Chief00

Still not sold on the sanctions. Was listening to the Gary Parrish podcast and they seemed to hint that UConn uncovering these violations, working with NCAA on them, and firing Ollie and whole staff would lead to some leniency.

That’s a dream - UConn will be treated extra harsh because we are a repeat offender. You think the NCAA President Mark Emmert is going to rubber stamp leniency toward UConn when previously he enforced retroactive rules against us?

KO is trying to destroy the school that some say he loves.

Disclaimer: The above is an opinion and not directly based on any inside information.

Reaction Score
Glenn Miller is on tape stating what he heard. UCONN has to release the transcript due to FOI laws. Unless UCONN paid Miller to say that how is that slander? In regards to Ollie's letter there is no way he wrote that. You have all heard him speak during court side interviews and at post game press conferences. It was all an attempt to polish his halo and try and make it look like he is a victim. If KO loves UCONN that much then I will wait to see him sitting court side with JC during games next year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If KO loves UCONN that much then I will wait to see him sitting court side with JC during games next year.
I do not.

C

Chief00

The statement/letter from less than n a week ago:

Just realized in the letter, no where does KO put coach of UConn in a past tense. He also refers to Hurley as Coach not Head Coach.

Reaction Score
That's just bull. You can bleed blue for the basketball program you love and still stick up for your rights if you think that as an employee you are being treated wrongly. They are hardly mutually exclusive concepts.
Perhaps, in a vacuum. That is not whats going on here though.

C

Chief00

I don't know what, if any, settlement offers were made to KO, but if he had the chance to walk away quietly with 7 figures and turned it down, he (or his counsel) made a very serious miscalculation.

As I've noted previously, the amount UConn will pay in settlement, if any, is likely dropping with each feces throwing event by his counsel.

Early on Chief wondered how much he revealed to his counsel. In part, I think he is in serious denial. I never could quite square what his legal representatives were telling anyone who would listen at the Big East Tournament to certain things I may know about his situation. At the time I was thinking, these guys are going to get blindsided big time.

Reaction Score
@Excalibur When you have time, please consider elaborating regarding his lawyer's misunderstanding of FOIA exemptions. Thanks in advance.

CL touched on it. They appear to be relying on either the personnel records exemption or the exemption relating to (going off the top of my head) workplace policies. The Miller interview was not cited in the cause for firing, so he would have trouble saying that it meets the definition of a personnel record.

There may be a duty to inform that the record is going to be disclosed but that doesn’t look like the gist of Ollie’s claim.

Not a FOIA expert by any means, but that’s my quick read. I also doubt that even a good plaintiff-side employment lawyer is better versed on this than UConn’s compliance lawyers, who are privacy-obsessed.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Who would have thought so many inept people could make such a mess.

I think Ollie should get his money. But I also hope he gives up the way he gave up on coaching.

Reaction Score
Well depending (and we dont know yet until its is disclosed) on whether a settlement offer was ever made and when it was made, and how much was it, we may be assigning that same disclaimer on the UConn admin (the bolded).

and if there was no settlement offer..............

Reaction Score
Is this the same legal representation that allowed KO to sign an employment/PSC that defines "cause" as damn near everything/anything; right down to on-campus littering?
No - different advisors

Reaction Score
Hearst/New Haven Register: Ollie wants retraction from UConn, threatening to sue

>>“UConn released the documents in direct response to a Freedom of Information request by Mr. Ollie’s own attorneys,” said school spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz. “Other parties, including the media, also requested and received these same documents as required by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) in Connecticut. The FOIA, which governs public agencies as the University, does not permit the selective release of public records to certain parties while denying those same records to others.”<<

We didn’t mean the bad stuff...

>>“There was no need to release the confidential transcripts to Coach Ollie in a FOI response since the AAUP already had been provided with them months earlier,” Parenteau wrote. “When the news organizations made the FOI request, the FOI statute required UConn to notify Coach Ollie that his right to privacy was implicated. The FOI statue states if Coach Ollie objects then UConn cannot release the information. All of the FOI releases occurred simultaneously, long after the requests were made. Had we been informed of the intention to release these false and defamatory claims, Coach Ollie would have objected to this invasion of his privacy. There is no excuse for UConn’s failure to notify Coach Ollie of their intention to violated his privacy interest.”<<

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm just not confident the UConn administration fully understand the ramifications if KO decides air everything out. He might be at a point that he just doesn't care after everything he's been through over the past 3 years. UConn worst nightmare is KO thinking he has nothing to lose since he's lost everything

Hoping he doesn't go that route

'Air everything out'? You mean admit to violations under his watch and therefore automatically forfeit the buyout?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think he's inferring a scenario where Ollie loses the battle and then decides to bash the university and try to tear the program down.

Ahhh gotcha. I'm slow.

That said, if he ever does want to work in the college game again, he'd be wise to avoid that tactic.

If and when there's a settlement, you can be sure an ironclad NDA is going to be part of the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom