Ollie the favorite for OKC if Brooks is gone? | The Boneyard

Ollie the favorite for OKC if Brooks is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HuskyNationJE said:
Do we need to start worrying that Ollie is going to leave again for the OKC job. Talking on SportsCenter about his friendship with Durant and how Ollie would be the guy to keep Durant in OKC. Already getting anxiety. We lose Ollie what would we do? http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ma-city-thunder-job-opens-20150416-story.html
This is going to keep happening every year. Despite winning it all last year, (IMO) KO feels/knows there's so much more for him to do here and won't go anywhere anytime soon. Once he takes us to our 2nd NC, then I'll start worrying.

Reaction Score
He's not telling you to stay away for bringing it up. He's saying that's what he recommends if Ollie leaves.

Ahhh...yea...definitely on board avoiding the Boneyard for a good period of time if the worst case were to occur. Hopefully we don't face that. Like to keep him and somehow get Ray Allen on the coaching staff. Pipe dreams.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Trolltastic headline. The link doesn't mention "favorite".

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Trolltastic headline. The link doesn't mention "favorite".
The "favorite" had to do with commentating on espn that the OP mentioned. Not the link.

Reaction Score
He's not the favorite. They're cheapskates and wouldn't pay his buyout, and they'd probably rather have Donovan because Donovan is a better coach.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Where's the guy who wants Ollie fired? He's probably jumping for joy right now.

Reaction Score
Brooks isn't getting canned after a season where 2 of their 3 best players missed a majority of the season. Durant loves the guy which is the main reason he's still there despite early playoff exits. Ollie's ours and lets go back to worrying about him fixing our team.

Reaction Score
I worry about everything, esp recruiting and the total lack of recruiters on staff especially, but I am not worried about this.

If/when KO leaves it will be when the program is in great shape and he feels comfortable with who he's passing it to or at the very least the strong position UConn bball is in. JC handed him the keys and KO bleeds blue deeper than even us insane fans do. He would not leave us in a precarious situation. Despite 2/5 of titles and four in recent history, due to realignment we are not in that position of strength.

Plus, I truly believe he loves the opportunity to build character in these young guys. In the pros you could do some of that, but not at all to the extent you can do in helping shape who 18-23 year olds become.

Reaction Score
I don't get ... the DOOMSDAY crowd around the Boneyard.

Promoting thoughts about Ollie leaving and UConn deteriorating to MAAC status. Eager to post their wildest fears (or egg on others). Believe me ... "the Sun will come up tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar ..."

Reaction Score
i'm sure these re the types of articles the other coaches love to show recruits. KO will probably have to re-assure Miller tomorrow of his plans to stay if/when anyone comes calling.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ESPN will be promoting this rumor until there is no longer any threat of CR and UConn getting into a P5 (other than a conference they prefer) or until the future AAC contract is finalized with some sort of major penalty for defectors. It's in their best interest to sabotage the premier program in the AAC.

If UConn was in the ACC there would be very little of this from ESPN imo. But with the rumors swirling about the B!G or the Big12 being interested in UConn I expect a lot of this from ESPN.

Even if my opinions did not have merit I'm staying optimistic about UConn's bb future. Worry solves zilch.

Reaction Score
Did he interview last year with the lakers as leverage in contract negotiations?

I think he probably also wanted to see what was out there, but I'd imagine that it helped in getting Warde to stop nickel-and-diming him.

Reaction Score
Where's the guy who wants Ollie fired? He's probably jumping for joy right now.
Husky Dad is hands and knees praying for him to take the job. 1 plus side would be that we would not have to endure Husky Dad's idiotic posts after every loss about how Ollie cannot coach.

Reaction Score
4-5 million buyout as well as a contract that would probably run 3-3.5 million per season. Probably around 6 years, since that is was Stevens got from Boston. I don't think OKC wants to pay that.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Ollie played this game last year for a raise, and I am sure it was used against us in recruiting. I hope this year he shoots this down fast to save any hopes we have of improving our 2015 class.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt he leaves. IF he did, wasnt the rumor Calhoun wanted to go to BC or something and coach? get him to sit in for a year or more while we find a new coach.

But yea Ollie isnt going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky