Ollie post game interview | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie post game interview

Reaction Score
Apology? No. Can I admit I was wrong, yes

You weren't one of the handful of guys who got nasty about it. But there are a few guys who didn't want to see what was right in front of them and got nasty whenever valid criticism of how the program was being run was brought up. Even those guys have eventually seen what is unmistakable, although they remain hesitant to admit it.

I have always maintained that KO makes a fine assistant coach. Unfortunately, he is not equipped to run a program successfully.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was an Ollie advocate up until Arkansas.
But please don't think my changed opinion of Ollie means I now agree with even his most unreasonable of detractors. Some of them said stupid things and several of them invaded every thread with the same argument.
But, I will admit they were right about our coaching situation and I hope I wasn't too snarky. If I was, I apologise.

Reaction Score
To be fair, this was a trap game. KO said a "great" Monmouth team is coming in next.

He has a point. Columbia is now 1-5. Monmouth is 3-4. Hold on to your butt.

He called Columbia “great” too. Can’t make this stuff up.
I am not happy with the product on the court and I feel it all starts with the coach. Having said that, I wonder if most of you realize the irony in opinions like that above? Give some respect to your opponent, no matter who it is. If the players, who some criticize along with the coach, had the same pre-game attitude to their opponent as some fans here at the BY, it is no wonder they play like crap. Any team on any night can play above or below their abilities. We are not playing well and we are consistent in that respect, so it is a cause for concern. Fans are fans, but I hope the players and the coach do not feel the same way about the competition as the fans. Having said all that, we are playing poorly against inferior competition and fans have a right to be alarmed and concerned.

Reaction Score
We have a right to be concerned, yes. Because how many times did this happen between 1990 and 2011? A handful of times. Since 2011, it has already happened more than a handful of times. Jim's team lost to St. Bonnies of the A10, maybe a few other bad losses but most of the worst losses were to basement teams in the Big East like BC or Providence which is more understandable. Or March upsets that eventually strike all coaches, (even the greatest coaches), like San Diego (13 seed) or GMason (10 seed that was on fire). Not nearly as bad as what we are seeing here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His attitude about so many things is simply too accommodating. The press conference just reflects that attitude. Live and let live, it's all fine, peace in our time, everybody gets a trophy. Kevin Ollie has become a hippie. This team needs the Kevin Ollie that was known as the most tireless worker in the NBA.

Ollie's worst moment last night was watching Vital shoulder into an opposing player, then shove him and give him lip, earning a T. There shouldn't have been a double T, so Vital, and UConn got lucky. Calhoun would have yanked Vital and screamed at him, or worse, given him the look and said nothing. But he wouldn't have stayed in the game or gone back in quickly. Other guys make stupid mental mistakes or show no effort or hustle...the stay in the game. No reaction from the coach. We have a soft, lazy team because the coach is letting them be soft and lazy. It's sickening.

Reaction Score
We have a right to be concerned, yes. Because how many times did this happen between 1990 and 2011? A handful of times. Since 2011, it has already happened more than a handful of times. Jim's team lost to St. Bonnies of the A10, maybe a few other bad losses but most of the worst losses were to basement teams in the Big East like BC or Providence which is more understandable. Or March upsets that eventually strike all coaches, (even the greatest coaches), like San Diego (13 seed) or GMason (10 seed that was on fire). Not nearly as bad as what we are seeing here.
Aj got hurt against San Diego with a young team. But I get your point. Just wanted to be a know it all.

Reaction Score
In light of last year’s injuries, I think most of us wanted to give him one more year with a full roster to prove he has the goods. Now that we’re seeing the same traits for the fourth consecutive year; flat starts, lack of an offensive game plan, lack of heart, poor adjustments, repeated national blowouts.... people are officially fed up.

As I’ve said before, I feel the strong majority of us want to see the program return to its glory days with KO leading the charge, but 100 plus games of evidence tells us it’s just not meant to be.

Yeah that’s kind of my point though. 100 games of this wasn’t enough convincing but 107 all of a sudden is?

The injuries were an easy excuse when last years team displayed all of the same tendencies and shortcomings of he previous two.

Reaction Score
Aj got hurt against San Diego with a young team. But I get your point. Just wanted to be a know it all.
Ya, I forgot about that. And KA rolled his ankle either before or during the Tenn. game in 2000. I know in that awful 59-42 loss to Cuse in 1999 Jim was without two players too. Not sure about St. Bonnies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
His attitude about so many things is simply too accommodating. The press conference just reflects that attitude. Live and let live, it's all fine, peace in our time, everybody gets a trophy. Kevin Ollie has become a hippie. This team needs the Kevin Ollie that was known as the most tireless worker in the NBA.

Ollie's worst moment last night was watching Vital shoulder into an opposing player, then shove him and give him lip, earning a T. There shouldn't have been a double T, so Vital, and UConn got lucky. Calhoun would have yanked Vital and screamed at him, or worse, given him the look and said nothing. But he wouldn't have stayed in the game or gone back in quickly. Other guys make stupid mental mistakes or show no effort or hustle...the stay in the game. No reaction from the coach. We have a soft, lazy team because the coach is letting them be soft and lazy. It's sickening.

Very valid points there. The team could really use some fire from KO from pregame -> tip -> end of game.

Reaction Score
This team reminding me of OKC Thunder. Have some great pieces but not clicking to expectations/potential. Just a mess.
This team is nothing like OKC. OKC has 2 all-stars and a scorer in Anthony. We have no all-stars and no scoring machine. Adams has no heart or grit. Larrier can't dribble or pass. Gilbert is a tbd. Sorry but the talent just isn't there.

Reaction Score

I’ve thought about this a lot, maybe he’s just gotten complacent since he got the big contract after 2014. We see pro athletes get complacent after landing big contracts, I’m sure it happens with coaches too. He just seems like an entirely different guy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think everyone who follows the football program realizes this now.
I don't know that I realize it yet, but I'm sure as hell worried about it.

Diaco's level of ineptitude, paranoia, idiocy and lack of self-awareness is pretty much the gold standard of suckiness. I don't throw around the comparison lightly.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ve thought about this a lot, maybe he’s just gotten complacent since he got the big contract after 2014. We see pro athletes get complacent after landing big contracts, I’m sure it happens with coaches too. He just seems like an entirely different guy.
It may just be that he's got a scheme that works with two exceptional guard who can breakdown the opponents at will and doesn't understand why it doesn't work without that level of talent. Maybe the adjustments we saw in the 2014 NC run actually did come from Miller. I don't know but the guy we saw out coaching icons like Izzo and Calipari sure seems to be MIA.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Huskybass, tenspro2002 and others were ridiculed as well but now even the strongest apolliegists have seen the light and owe them an apology. This is a poorly run program that sinks to new depths with each season.
You are crazy
No apologies necessary

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
1-5 and they’re great! Wow!

KO has been calling every opponent great in SNY post games - " ... now we have to prepare against a great BU team ..... "

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Remember the good old days when the Ollieisms were quaint?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know that I realize it yet, but I'm sure as hell worried about it.

Diaco's level of ineptitude, paranoia, idiocy and lack of self-awareness is pretty much the gold standard of suckiness. I don't throw around the comparison lightly.

I’m talking superficially - young, good looking, first time with a head coaching job, religious, wacky press conferences, etc.

You are right that the reason for their struggles is different.

Ollie is likable and I want him to be successful.

Diaco was unlikeable and I got to the point where I wanted things to get so bad they had to move on. I enjoyed every pasting Nebraska took this year.

If Ollie someday is coaching Siena or DePaul I would root for him.

Reaction Score
This team is nothing like OKC. OKC has 2 all-stars and a scorer in Anthony. We have no all-stars and no scoring machine. Adams has no heart or grit. Larrier can't dribble or pass. Gilbert is a tbd. Sorry but the talent just isn't there.
i agree TL can not dribble but i disagreed with u on everything else. Im sorry but Ollie has to find a way to develop his players or pass the baton. He won with Calhoun players and did nothing after.....

Reaction Score
I’m talking superficially - young, good looking, first time with a head coaching job, religious, wacky press conferences, etc.

You are right that the reason for their struggles is different.

Ollie is likable and I want him to be successful.

Diaco was unlikeable and I got to the point where I wanted things to get so bad they had to move on. I enjoyed every pasting Nebraska took this year.

If Ollie someday is coaching Siena or DePaul I would root for him.
Ollie thinks he's OG and paid his dues. He can do whatever he wants now, as long as he knows he's getting paid and wins enough.

Reaction Score
We are 7 games in and have beaten everyone we should have beaten, which is an achievement, given we have 4 returning players. Glass half full.
I'm still holding out hope that Jalen takes this team by the scruff of the neck, and leads us to the NCAA tournament.
All it takes is to not come out of the gate losing 18-7 every game, and we will be viable.

Sure, we haven't completely screwed ourselves yet. But margin of victory and level of performance indicators are not good. We are not playing like an NCAA tournament team and 4/6 next games are against tournament level competition, 3 of them away from home. We don't have time to gel... we need a switch to flip.

Reaction Score
i agree TL can not dribble but i disagreed with u on everything else. Im sorry but Ollie has to find a way to develop his players or pass the baton. He won with Calhoun players and did nothing after.....
Adams is just so frustrating to me. lots of talent but disappears and when he wants to show up and dominate, he does but that's not always the case so that why I said that about him not having heart or grit. Tough following two warriors in Napier and Walker. I think Gilbert has high level talent but he's a tbd because of injuries. Poor kid..I hope the shoulder isn't serious....and I do agree with you that Ollie has to develop his own recruits. So far we haven't seen that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom