Ollie Not Going to Final Four | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie Not Going to Final Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Too bad our state already has a similar law. If Malloy really means what he says, then he'll do something about the law in his own state.
It's really not similar, read up on it and take it over to the cesspool.
From everything I've been reading and hearing it's very similar. It's not the same verbatim, but anyone who has a problem with the Indiana law should be similarly disturbed by the legislation here in CT. Malloy has the market on saying one thing and doing another. Just ask anyone who lives in Rocky Hill.
I'm no Malloy fan and my guess is he's just playing politics here but the Indiana law and the CT. law are very different, you're misinformed.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Apparently, Malloy, Herbst and Ollie haven't got the message yet. No brainiacs in this crowd. The message: Ct is a tiny little nothing of a state with one great college and it ain't UConn. That's why we are in the AAC. And don't think Indiana, a member of the B1G, is going to forget this snub the next time some mentions our invitation to the B1G. Payback is usually a bitch. Why are putting ourselves in the center of this far left power play? You don't see any of these far left guys screaming about ISIS killing gays, Christians and children. What you don't think the Gov. of Indiana watches basketball and know where UConn wants to go? How stupid is our team?

Reaction Score
Apparently, Malloy, Herbst and Ollie haven't got the message yet. No brainiacs in this crowd. The message: Ct is a tiny little nothing of a state with one great college and it ain't UConn. That's why we are in the AAC. And don't think Indiana, a member of the B1G, is going to forget this snub the next time some mentions our invitation to the B1G. Payback is usually a bitch. Why are putting ourselves in the center of this far left power play? You don't see any of these far left guys screaming about ISIS killing gays, Christians and children. What you don't think the Gov. of Indiana watches basketball and know where UConn wants to go? How stupid is our team?

April Fools' post?

Reaction Score
The Indiana law differs significantly in that a) it covers the religious freedom of businesses, and b) there is no anti-discrimination law in Indiana.

Therefore, a business like Hobby Lobby could say it's against their religion to serve gay customers, which would be illegal in CT because a) our law doesn't cover business, and b) we have the anti-discrimination law.

That's what people are upset about -- the implication that businesses will now be able to discriminate based on the concept of religious freedom.

Reaction Score
Shamefully, I thought the same thing at first (in regard to offending IU for B1G purposes). I'm not sure I want to be in any political power plays with B1G states. Fortunately, there is a huge likelihood that the decision makers at IU are extremely liberal and agree with our stance.

Boycotting the state of Indiana seems childish in a way. My parents have always taught me to be part of the solution rather than walking away from problems. By doing this, it can certainly come off as grandstanding if someone wants to portray it that way.

Reaction Score

Somebody didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Remember when we sued the ACC and our Attorney General was running off his mouth. That kept us out of the ACC.
Now, we have shot maybe at the B1G and our Governor interjects his opinions into Indiana state politics and calls them bigots.
Isn't Purdue in Indiana? Are they all bigots too?
Ollie and Warde needed to be in Indiana shaking hands and kissing babies. Instead, we boycott them.
Call them names.
Is the President of BYU calling the residents of Indiana bigots? Boise St? Virginia? Virginia Tech?

Reaction Score
Oh my god, at first when I got this news break last night, I was terrified because why would I get a news break mentioning Kevin Ollie if we're out!? I definitely thought he was taking a job elsewhere. Initially I thought, oh how great of Ollie to be making a social statement at this time. Later I realized that I think this is just a product of the governors banning government travel to Indiana. The coaches are government employees right?

I now am wondering if Boat will still be at the 3 point shooting competition, thats in Indiana too right? But I guess he's not an employee so he can go.

Reaction Score
The Indiana law differs significantly in that a) it covers the religious freedom of businesses, and b) there is no anti-discrimination law in Indiana.

Therefore, a business like Hobby Lobby could say it's against their religion to serve gay customers, which would be illegal in CT because a) our law doesn't cover business, and b) we have the anti-discrimination law.

That's what people are upset about -- the implication that businesses will now be able to discriminate based on the concept of religious freedom.

Also, the Indiana law protects those businesses from lawsuits by individuals, whereas the CT law is just about government interference. The laws really aren't very similar at all.

Reaction Score
I think the Indiana law is very troubling and disturbing to me. On the flip side if businesses choose to discriminate against gays I think free market capitalism will take care of that.

However, I find this boycott offensive and disingenuous. Someone said it earlier. If our run happened this year Ollie, Warde, Herbst and the whole gang would be there. For once I would like someone take a stand when it's most difficult to do so.

Reaction Score
I think the Indiana law is very troubling and disturbing to me. On the flip side if businesses choose to discriminate against gays I think free market capitalism will take care of that.

However, I find this boycott offensive and disingenuous. Someone said it earlier. If our run happened this year Ollie, Warde, Herbst and the whole gang would be there. For once I would like someone take a stand when it's most difficult to do so.

http://wbb.adimeback.com/uconn-should-threaten-to-boycott-2016-final-four/

Reaction Score
Remember when we sued the ACC and our Attorney General was running off his mouth. That kept us out of the ACC.
Now, we have shot maybe at the B1G and our Governor interjects his opinions into Indiana state politics and calls them bigots.
Isn't Purdue in Indiana? Are they all bigots too?
Ollie and Warde needed to be in Indiana shaking hands and kissing babies. Instead, we boycott them.
Call them names.
Is the President of BYU calling the residents of Indiana bigots? Boise St? Virginia? Virginia Tech?

When you're in a hole, stop digging.

Instead, you continually pick up the shovel.

Reaction Score

Hobby Lobby could not refuse gay customers, or any group, that's left wing propaganda.

What they could do is go to court to stop gay customers from demanding they carry certain items.

The law merely gives them access to the courts when they feel their religious freedom is being trampled on.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
To @pnow15 who is worried if this will impact our ability to get into the B1G or work with IU going forward, please remember that these people are academics. This is most likely ingratiate UConn to them. I'm pretty sure the people that make the decisions here are not going to be offended.

edited post to clarify that pnow15 is the only one who seriously thinks this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To everyone who is worried if this will impact our ability to get into the B1G or work with IU going forward, please remember that these people are academics. This is most likely ingratiate UConn to them. I'm pretty sure the people that make the decisions here are not going to be offended.

I think "everyone" is just pnow15.

Reaction Score
Hobby Lobby could not refuse gay customers, or any group, that's left wing propaganda.

What they could do is go to court to stop gay customers from demanding they carry certain items.

The law merely gives them access to the courts when they feel their religious freedom is being trampled on.

This is definitely not what Hobby Lobby was about. It was about health care.

Reaction Score
"....The message: Ct is a tiny little nothing of a state with one great college and it ain't UConn. That's why we are in the AAC....."

Out of anything said about CR, this, at least in the view of the rest of the country, is probably the most accurate. Our most-famous non-athletic attendees are Meg Ryan and the guy who played Arnold Horshack (who if still alive, would definitely not be going to Indiana, except to protest).

Reaction Score
This is definitely not what Hobby Lobby was about. It was about health care.
I only used Hobby Lobby because it (as a business) was called out in the post I replied to.

The point I am trying to make is that the law is basically about who can sue or be sued. It does not give anyone the right to refuse service to any other group. It gives a business the right to have standing if they think their religious rights are being denied. Just as a person has that right.

The law is virtually identical to one that Barrack Obama voted for when he was in the Illinois Senate but that law did not include businesses.

Reaction Score

There's a lot of small towns in Indiana.. sometimes your choices are VERY limited. People say "just go to another store".. well sometimes there ISN'T another store of that type nearby....someone might potentially have to go out of town for a particular type of business (possibly a huge inconvenience). It's just bad all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom