Ollie Needs... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie Needs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would a reasonable person believe that a divorce could have an emotional impact on a person? Would that same person believe that if so, the persons distress may be affecting their work, especially if things were not going to plan?
What I'm saying is that the issues were likely alive and in full swing during the NCAA tournament last year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with Ollie as a coach or his demeanor. He's just frustrated because he knows he can't find consistent production from anyone besides Boat.

Cassell Jr wouldn't be the best player at CCSU, Purvis is wildly inconsistent and even when he plays well he makes a ton of crucial mistakes, Brimah has largely disappeared anytime we've played a high-major quality opponent, Hamilton has worn down lately, Samuel doesn't really do anything well aside from defense, Facey shows some promise but is truthfully 2 years away from being someone to hang your hat on...

None of that has anything to do with Ollie and his personal life. He's clearly just frustrated knowing that no matter what he tries to teach and what adjustments he makes to playing rotations, nobody has really stepped up and played like they want to make a living playing this game.

great points about the players BUT you cannot get inside KOs head and tell me you know that the divorce has nothing to do with KOs mental state

Reaction Score
I could start a thread saying "Daniel Hamilton needs to step away from the team to tend to his sick mother" (he doesn't actually have a sick mother, as far as I know) and it would carry about as much merit as the OP. Maybe KO uses basketball as his escape - just because he's frustrated on the sideline doesn't mean it's spill-over of a custody battle. Good God, folks, nobody knows what's going through his mind so of all the pointless exercises on this board this one has to rank near the top. I get the feeling if we had won this game this wouldn't be a topic of conversation.

Reaction Score
Trying to analyze what is going through someone's head is pointless, but personally I'd guess Ollie's behavior is more likely related to his frustration with his team than his personal life.
First you say not to analyze then go on to do so....

This has little to do with the game tonight. His body language over the last month has told the story.
I thought tonights game said a lot to back your point. I could be wrong but at least one or more time outs were left on the table that could have been teaching moments for a young team. That and a little more heat on the officials would have been more the norm.
For those who say a divorce has no effect on a person or their job performance, they have never worked with someone who has gone through this or been through one themselves. Much worse than a death in the family which unites the group to comfort each other a divorce divides and leaves many with a long period of bewilderment. Add children and it is enough to have any man off their A game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First you say not to analyze then go on to do so....

I thought tonights game said a lot to back your point. I could be wrong but at least one or more time outs were left on the table that could have been teaching moments for a young team. That and a little more heat on the officials would have been more the norm.
For those who say a divorce has no effect on a person or their job performance, they have never worked with someone who has gone through this or been through one themselves. Much worse than a death in the family which unites the group to comfort each other a divorce divides and leaves many with a long period of bewilderment. Add children and it is enough to have any man off their A game.

I said it was pointless. I didn't say don't do it - that ship sailed a long time ago.

I do think it's more likely he hates coaching this team than his divorce is impacting him. I do choose the word carefully - 'more likely'.

I will admit I hope it's true that he is just frustrated. I'm sure I'd be in the minority who'd be less than impressed if getting divorced kept him from coaching the team well.

Reaction Score
George Blaney ain't walking though that door, so no!

/s

Reaction Score
Nothing that a 3 point shooter, another ball handler and consistent defense wouldn't cure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is there a feature to ignore threads?
If you ignore the poster who started the thread you won't see the thread on the forum page itself. You may see the thread title listed alongside the forum on the forum listing page if it is the most recent thread in which a post was made, but unless you click on it directly from there, you won't see it once you click on the forum itself.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not that any of this matters, but his son is 18--no custody battle there. His daughter is about to be 14. She should pretty much determine which parent she wants to live with. But I can't see KO fighting to take his adolescent daughter from her mother, especially with his schedule. So unless there is some deep dark secret, the divorce is an emotional loss and a financial struggle. But not a big custody fight.

Reaction Score
What he really needs are a couple more players, especially in the frontcourt. Ther just isn't anything reliable there right now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Imagine the difference Kromah would have made on this team. Ball handling, some outside shooting, composure, maturity.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Imagine the difference Kromah would have made on this team. Ball handling, some outside shooting, composure, maturity.

What Kromah did you watch last year? As valuable as he was, he could not shoot. At all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every time I think I've read the most ludicrous post in the boneyard, a worse one pops up.
That's its beauty.

Reaction Score
Yeah KO and his divorce is the reason we lost the rebounding battle 48-24 and gave up 18 offensive rebounds. Brilliant.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
Yeah KO is the reason we lost the rebounding battle 48-24 and he gave up 18 offensive rebounds. Brilliant.

Actually, there's a bit of truth to that. It was his decision to play a lot of four guard lineups. It wasn't necessarily bad coaching - the way Stanford was defending the high screen and roll to take Boat's driving ability away left them vulnerable in the corners, and you need to have shooters to put there to make them pay for it. Last year, we have DD and Giffey and don't have to give us as much on the glass to get shooting on the floor. This year we have to sacrifice rebounding. It was a little bit of a "something has to give" battle, and our shooting finally gave.

(Sorry - you edited to change to "KO and his divorce"). Now I agree with your sarcasm!

Reaction Score
To take a leave.

Before it was public knowledge that him and his wife were separating I made mention to friends of mine that something was wrong with Kevin.

This year there for not seem to be the fire on the sideline as there has been the last two years. Tonight, when AB gets his fifth foul, Kevin does not get into the refs. The countless non call over the backs and still nothing. He seems emotionally exhausted.

I hope everything with the guy is okay. He bleeds blue and is the man for the job. He needs to work out his personal life though. To me, he just seems off.
I actually think it should be "he and his wife", not "him and his wife." You will be more credible if your grammar was correct. Other wise I agree with what you stated in this post.

Reaction Score
Maybe he is an emotional basket case related to his personal life & needs to take a leave
or
Maybe the basketball court is his respite & the only thing that helps him keep his sanity

Bottom-line: It's nothing but speculation & KO has earned the right to decide what's best for him without people questioning his state of mind. Period.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
Even still, in a combined 49 minutes, AB, Facey and Nolan grabbed a collective 5 rebounds.

True. They didn't get it done as a group. There's a bit of a domino effect. AB's foul trouble kept him to nine minutes, Facey played a lot at the 5, where he is less effective since he has 5s putting bodies on him, and Nolan is Nolan - he just doesn't react to the ball. His hand-eye coordination just isn't DI level,which means his best role out there in AB's place is to play D with his feet, neutralize the other big, and let Facey and Hamilton get the boards, but instead it was Cassell/Calhoun and Purvis/Samuel

Hamilton helped a little in the 2H getting his nose in there and battling, but he didn't squeeze a couple he normally gets. His presence in the 1H would have made our numbers a little better, but not 24 better.

Reaction Score
True. They didn't get it done as a group. There's a bit of a domino effect. AB's foul trouble kept him to nine minutes, Facey played a lot at the 5, where he is less effective since he has 5s putting bodies on him, and Nolan is Nolan - he just doesn't react to the ball. His hand-eye coordination just isn't DI level,which means his best role out there in AB's place is to play D with his feet, neutralize the other big, and let Facey and Hamilton get the boards, but instead it was Cassell/Calhoun and Purvis/Samuel

Hamilton helped a little in the 2H getting his nose in there and battling, but he didn't squeeze a couple he normally gets. His presence in the 1H would have made our numbers a little better, but not 24 better.

DHam is our best rebounder. Kid goes to get the ball.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
DHam is our best rebounder. Kid goes to get the ball.

No question. He also does it all on the defensive end. He doesn't really get on the offensive glass much at all. That's mostly by design for floor balance - our three perimeter guys all drive so much that we'd give up too many fast breaks if the other two didn't rotate back (and we also don't want Boat by himself trying to stop transition baskets).

Reaction Score
buddy said:
I actually think it should be "he and his wife", not "him and his wife." You will be more credible if your grammar was correct. Other wise I agree with what you stated in this post.

Five pages in (on Forum Runner) and the grammar police come to the rescue. Thanks pal for the English lesson. Not too certain what I would have done without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom