Ollie Made the Right Call | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie Made the Right Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think who we started in the game matter much. What did matter is that the players listened to Ollie stressing that you can't just settle for 3 point jump shots like they did against Tulsa. All the guard drove to the hoop more this game and that resulted in better flow, better shots and more fouls called on Houston. Adams is not a pure point guard but I think he improves our offense despite some freshman mistakes that he makes out there. I like the small lineup with Hamilton at 4 and Purvis at the 3 spot but against some teams that lineup will have problems on the defensive side of the floor. This team is a work in process and the second half yesterday was a demonstration on how good they can be.

Reaction Score
The major flaw I saw today was not a Purvis flaw but a coaching flaw.

If the opposing team is 1-14, don't change the defense. Houston got hot against the zone. Our guys can't seem to stop penetration when they zone. Zone seems to mean something else to them.
The 1 for 14 was against the zone, which Uconn played from the opening tip, just like at Tulsa. KO stayed with it until Houston got hot, then went Man. And it was their terrific Man defense that won the game going down the stretch.

Reaction Score
We need experience, energy, and aggressiveness coming off the bench. Purvis is just that. I LOVE him coming off the bench. The starting lineup of Adams/Gibbs/Hamilton/Miller/Nolan makes the most sense to me. Have the 3 guys on the team with the most experience, coupled with the 2 guys with the most talent. Great recipe in my opinion.

Bringing energy and passion off the bench with Purvis/Kentan/Omar is a scrappy second unit that will tire teams out. When Brimah comes back you can add Nolan to this group. I've always seen Rodney as an excellent guy to bring off the bench. He'll still get his 30 minutes...but we need someone of his caliber to bulk up the bench scoring.

This is simultaneously sending Rodney the message he has to earn his starting time with consistency, and instilling confidence in Jalen and allowing him much needed in game experience to prepare for March....where we WILL make the tournament.

Reaction Score
Any line up would look better if DHam wasn't ice cold. He's trying to guide the ball in right now.

Thank you Funster - BINGO

I mean if he's shooting just 35% in the last 2 losses we win and there's no "line up or we miss Brimah" threads instead it would be about how much better we will be when AB returns. Score the basketball and we have 14 wins right now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ollie had to do something. He gets a point for doing something for this game. We can still lose to almost anybody on our schedule.
The offense has has been so stagnant with next to zero penetration by anybody. Hamilton's attempts were painful to watch over this past stretch. And despite the maddening turnovers Jalen had, he was crucial in accelerating the break and penetrating. His teardrop is not Jeremy Lamb amazing, but it is fun to watch when he converts. He's not a point guard, but he's the closest we've got.

I think Purvis is one emotional dude. How he handles this change is going to be critical for us.

He may be emotional, but he's also mature and team focused. I think he'll be fine. I also think he'll be back in the starting lineup when he gets himself ironed out.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize this board was full of Red Auerbachs. Someone alert the staff to check the boneyard and Twitter so we can take advantage of the basketball geniuses on the Internet.

and they're the same people who jump to call anyone else absurd for their predictions or takes. The referencing your own tweets to show how smart you were months ago thing is really hilarious to me. Just throw enough turds at the wall and in 6 months you can selectively call yourself a genius, and other people can make you look as crazy as Dr. Ben Carson with the opposite selective memory

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thank you Funster - BINGO

I mean if he's shooting just 35% in the last 2 losses we win and there's no "line up or we miss Brimah" threads instead it would be about how much better we will be when AB returns. Score the basketball and we have 14 wins right now.

I think a number of posters feel that his numbers will improve once Brimah returns. His numbers look better with Brimah in the lineup. I still maintain that the Brimah lob is his 'safety valve', for whatever reason, which should help clear up the indecisiveness we've seen lately from Hamilton. That option alone should increase his shooting percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom