Ollie lands a new job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie lands a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sorry, but the reason KO couldn’t keep his job here is because he started pulling in recruits ranked outside of the top 150. I’ll trust that Hurley can out recruit KO 11 of of 10 times.

How many National Championships does Hurley have?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good for him and wish him the best. Put me somewhere in the middle of the BY hatred continuum of I felt like he lost his touch while here and went with a scorched earth approach on the way out. Regardless UConn has moved on and I hope he succeeds in his next endeavor. That being said, I never associated Ollie with player development and growth. I thought he was better suited for the pros because their games are more defined at the pro level.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the reason KO couldn’t keep his job here is because he started pulling in recruits ranked outside of the top 150. I’ll trust that Hurley can out recruit KO 11 of of 10 times.
So what... he will forever be a Husky (Player and coach)... that's where the respect comes into play... AND he's done something Hurley still hasn't done. I think Hurley will pull it off though... He can bring us a another National Championship (glass half full mindset) so that he gets his right of passage... just not there yet...

Reaction Score
Are the kids in Overtime Elite essentially ineligible for college the minute they step on a practice court for OE? That would seem to be the case if they are getting paid.

In the SI Article:

-> The OTE's plan is to offer six-figure financial packages and an academic tutoring component for high school players to compete against prep school and international teams in a year-round training program. The league's model would allow for players to share in prospective revenue from name, image and likeness and sales of custom jerseys, trading cards and non-fungible tokens. These players would lose college eligibility but be able to advance toward the G League and NBA draft in a more basketball-intensive environment.<-

Reaction Score
He really bled blue...

This is the biggest misconception on the 'yard. It just gets repeated over and over again. Where is the evidence of this? Maybe at one point he did. Maybe he enjoyed that Uconn helped him make millions and then directly paid him millions. But where is the evidence when we completely sucked that he was "bleeding blue"?

He ran the program into the ground. Never once seemed upset about it or proclaimed in a post game/ interview that its unacceptable for a program like UConn to get blown out by 20 again to another crappy AAC team. You see coaches do that all the time at far less prestigious programs. Even if its just coach speak, you would think he would be pissed that the program he supposedly cares so much about is in the toilet. And worst of all he was too lazy (or busy having fun) to recruit or work with players on getting better. This is the worst part. Those are not the actions of someone "bleeding blue".

Reaction Score
Well this thread has gone in a predictable direction.

Good for him, hopefully this is the first step towards rehabilitating his career. He seemed to lose his drive in the later years, but helped bring a national championship. It would be best for all parties if his career rebounds.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They'll compete against other prep schools, the "league" is really just a team

Like, high school prep teams? How is that going to work since they're paying these kids?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Like, high school prep teams? How is that going to work since they're paying these kids?
In the SI Article:

-> The OTE's plan is to offer six-figure financial packages and an academic tutoring component for high school players to compete against prep school and international teams in a year-round training program. The league's model would allow for players to share in prospective revenue from name, image and likeness and sales of custom jerseys, trading cards and non-fungible tokens. These players would lose college eligibility but be able to advance toward the G League and NBA draft in a more basketball-intensive environment.<-

Looks like it is more along the lines of playing international programs that pull kids out of traditional schools for sports development. More of the international soccer or hockey model than what we see in the US. US is still a bit of an outlyer when it comes to developing highly skilled athletes through their late teen years and preparing them for life as professional athletes.

Reaction Score
Looks like there is some $$ behind this venture...from The Athletic article

Overtime, which includes Durant, Carmelo Anthony and late NBA Commissioner David Stern among its investors, was founded in 2016.

Reaction Score
Is anyone really nervous about him stealing recruits for this hokey "league"?

He got run out of town in his last job, unsuccessfully sued that former employer, left the program burning like a tire fire then didn't get a legitimate job anywhere else as a head coach or assistant in the NCAA or NBA.

Now he's going to sway a recruit to go play in this barnstormer/XFL flyer of a league? Cmon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
unsuccessfully sued that former employer
I believe that is still to be determined. Last I knew the arbitrator died and they were trying to determine whether they would need to re-do the arbitration testimony to that point.

Reaction Score
I'm a little confused; he's being called "the" head coach for an entire league? Shouldn't he be one of at least a few different head coaches? Is he going to both teams in every game?
The AAU model (my experience isn't with big time by any stretch) is to lure players in with one head coach, but then that coach doesn't end up coaching most of the programs teams and rotating coaches with various interest level attend practices and games. I do think you mostly get the best coaches at the higher/highest levels, but overall the AAU model is just have as many teams as possible to get those parent $. This seems different of course with paying players, but no clue where those $ will come from. Admissions mostly go to arenas, not sure what would be in it for sponsorships?

Reaction Score
I think some prep schools would gladly accept the game and others would be against it. After Lamelo played professionally in Lithuania he went to a prep school in Ohio and some schools didn't want to schedule them because of that while others had no problem with it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I believe that is still to be determined. Last I knew the arbitrator died and they were trying to determine whether they would need to re-do the arbitration testimony to that point.

That's some good lawyer speak there. "Last I knew the arbitrator died". Are you expecting a change in the arbitrator's status?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Overtime, which includes Durant, Carmelo Anthony and late NBA Commissioner David Stern among its investors, was founded in 2016.

If this is to support a few teams, say less than 5, staff for each team, and league overhead, there's probably enough money already invested and able to be invested going forward.

If this is an attempt to create a real league with full schedules, they'll need more capital.

Reaction Score
This is the biggest misconception on the 'yard. It just gets repeated over and over again. Where is the evidence of this? Maybe at one point he did. Maybe he enjoyed that Uconn helped him make millions and then directly paid him millions. But where is the evidence when we completely sucked that he was "bleeding blue"?

He ran the program into the ground. Never once seemed upset about it or proclaimed in a post game/ interview that its unacceptable for a program like UConn to get blown out by 20 again to another crappy AAC team. You see coaches do that all the time at far less prestigious programs. Even if its just coach speak, you would think he would be pissed that the program he supposedly cares so much about is in the toilet. And worst of all he was too lazy (or busy having fun) to recruit or work with players on getting better. This is the worst part. Those are not the actions of someone "bleeding blue".
and you clearly don't get it.. It's all about wins and losses for you my friend... You don't bleed blue... you bleed wins and losses, which, fair point do matter.

Why is it now we can make the association with the AAC the past 7 or 8 years or so as a big issue with how how Men's programs have suffered. We were a part of a conference we didn't belong in.... Now, though, things are different... The BIG talk now is now that we're back in the Big East recruiting is gonna be better.. and it is definitely is... So focus on your wins and losses and appreciate less the good that Ollie brought to the program during troubling times...

Reaction Score

Durant and Ollie are very close, hence how he almost ended up in OKC. probably how he ended up here.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
The AAU model (my experience isn't with big time by any stretch) is to lure players in with one head coach, but then that coach doesn't end up coaching most of the programs teams and rotating coaches with various interest level attend practices and games. I do think you mostly get the best coaches at the higher/highest levels, but overall the AAU model is just have as many teams as possible to get those parent $. This seems different of course with paying players, but no clue where those $ will come from. Admissions mostly go to arenas, not sure what would be in it for sponsorships?

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
It's odd that one of the knocks on Ollie while he was here was a lack of development and improvement of individual players, but his title includes player development. It will be interesting to see the feedback from players and their families next Spring.

Reaction Score
and you clearly don't get it.. It's all about wins and losses for you my friend... You don't bleed blue... you bleed wins and losses, which, fair point do matter.

Why is it now we can make the association with the AAC the past 7 or 8 years or so as a big issue with how how Men's programs have suffered. We were a part of a conference we didn't belong in.... Now, though, things are different... The BIG talk now is now that we're back in the Big East recruiting is gonna be better.. and it is definitely is... So focus on your wins and losses and appreciate less the good that Ollie brought to the program during troubling times...
For the ten thousandth time, the losses occurred because the coaching, recruiting and administrative work was NOT being done by the person with the title of head coach. Losses and firing were the natural consequences a poorly done job and a poorly run organization. Yes there were challenges, confronting those challenges is what the money was supposed to be for. If you don't do the work, you do not succeed (not measured by just W& L) and then you don't get the money.

This league says they've got $60MM in funding and a lot of people behind it both funding and organizationally. It still seems a long-shot, but at some point in the next 5-15 years a bunch of things like this likely exist. Is this the European model* of developmental leagues?

*Where, not coincidentally, there is no such thing as college sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom