Ollie lands a new job | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Ollie lands a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If I took over a team decimated by transfers from a coach that wasn't smart enough to game the APR system and in my second year with Bazz, Boat, Daniels, Giffey and Nolan as the starting team win it all; and then the lame fans give more credit to the ex-coach than me - I'd have a serious case of the ass.
Of course if you took over a team that started Bazz, Boat, Daniels Giffey and Nolan would it really be decimated by transfers?

( Also, you realize that the NCAA changed the APR rule, applied retroactively to Connecticut, using prior data for which they had already been punished, and refused to use current data which would have prevented any punishment. Kind of tough to “game” a moving target of a rule which rejects the principles of ex post facto and double jeopardy.)

Stunningly bad post, 68.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thank you.

Your response and link was better than I'd expected, and I enjoyed my free trip to the Conference Alignment Board.

It was similar/not similar to the days when I only dropped into the Cesspool when a thread got moved, and didn't know how (or want) to access it otherwise. While it served as a pleasant diversion and revisit to 2013, I could easily recognize that I'm too ignorant to form an informed opinion and don't care that I don't care to.

Reaction Score
My view? More like 60% of the fanbase's view, and Twitter skews young which would probably be in Ollie's favor.

Why do you not want to give any credit to Calhoun, Hobbs and Miller for 2014? Did you forget about Miller's free throw shooting routine that was vital to that season? How about Hobbs bringing in his former player Kromah? You think it was all Ollie and his inspirational quotes? LOL!! You are the one who is lost in space.

You don't like the rocket analogy? How about this one, Jim Calhoun was very much the general manager of the 2014 team. He hired all of the coaches including the head coach, he brought in the 4 key starters and mentored them. He still had a desk in the building and watched the practices and most certainly gave feedback. Jim Calhoun was the Theo Epstein of the 2014 team, or do you not give Epstein any credit for what happened with the Red Sox?

60% lol, what a joke. Yes it was Ollie for the APR year and the NC but feel free to embarrass yourself.

Reaction Score
So, here is some objective evidence-Ollie was an assistant from 2010-12-then HC from 2013 on-
Wouldn't it be fair to assume he played a significant role as recruiter and development?
Just sayin.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thank you.

Your response and link was better than I'd expected, and I enjoyed my free trip to the Conference Alignment Board.

It was similar/not similar to the days when I only dropped into the Cesspool when a thread got moved, and didn't know how (or want) to access it otherwise. While it served as a pleasant diversion and revisit to 2013, I could easily recognize that I'm too ignorant to form an informed opinion and don't care that I don't care to.
Of course that the revisionist version. Here are some of the many, many originals:

1618353267318.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Of course that the revisionist version. Here are some of the many, many originals:

View attachment 66808
Thanks, I think.
It lands as an opportunity for me to again recognize & register my ignorance on the matter and my lack of interest in remedying ihe ignorance. I've abandoned all hope of creating a happier past around Conference Realignment, and intended no criticism toward you or Nelson.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Weird seeing you post in a thread that isn’t about Syracuse
You appear here to be evolving from misbelief that I've ever begun a thread about Syracuse to perhaps now believing that I only post on the subject.

Follow your bliss, if that's what it is, and you should easily be able to confirm how true or not that is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Recognizing that Ollie won with JC's team and JC's assistant coaching staff is not hating on Kevin Ollie, it's just recognizing a fact. Some of you want to turn a blind eye to JC's contribution to the 2014 championship, i'm not going to do that. To each his own.

Do you think the people that hire college head coaches at big time programs are going to turn to Kevin Ollie in the next few years because "he won a championship at UCONN" or are they going to stay away because Hall of Famer Jim Calhoun won't be coming with him?

Reaction Score
Recognizing that Ollie won with JC's team and JC's assistant coaching staff is not hating on Kevin Ollie, it's just recognizing a fact. Some of you want to turn a blind eye to JC's contribution to the 2014 championship, i'm not going to do that. To each his own.

Do you think the people that hire college head coaches at big time programs are going to turn to Kevin Ollie in the next few years because "he won a championship at UCONN" or are they going to stay away because Hall of Famer Jim Calhoun won't be coming with him?

I have a better question do you honestly believe 60% of the people agree with your lame assessment of "Ollie won with JC's team and staff"? The only blind eye is yours and the fact you won't admit the hate because most know KO deserves the credit for a national title just as much as he deserves to be hammered for his lackluster performance his last 2-3 years. Give it up your take is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ignoring the fact that KO was an assistant on the team since 2010 and played a large role in recruiting and developing this team is also a fact-If you want to diminish KO's contribution to the 2014 title, I'm not going to do that. To each their own.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Well we kind of did a dry run of that last year.

Thankfully.

I dont think anyone actually missed it.

Definitely saved some money at least.

Could you imagine sinking money into this program to go 0-7 with the extra cost of covid restrictions?

CL82

Reaction Score
Thankfully.

I dont think anyone actually missed it.

Definitely saved some money at least.

Could you imagine sinking money into this program to go 0-7 with the extra cost of covid restrictions?
Yes, yes I can. What did we save? Not scholarships, not coaches salary. Just the rent on the Rent, and uniform laundry fees.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We'd be much better off if they shut the football program down when Nelson said.

I was saying we should shut the football program down if we were going to be so stupid about how we managed it. In particular, I thought the AAC was going to destroy the football program and we would be better off shutting it down than letting that happen. I was proven 100% right.

UConn would have a consistently .500 football program with a better coach, and would have a solid deal on SNY, if it had gone independent in 2013.

I stand behind all 4 posts CL82 screen-shotted. I really nailed it 8+ years ago.

Reaction Score

You play for him for money. Then do notg
In the SI Article:

-> The OTE's plan is to offer six-figure financial packages and an academic tutoring component for high school players to compete against prep school and international teams in a year-round training program. The league's model would allow for players to share in prospective revenue from name, image and likeness and sales of custom jerseys, trading cards and non-fungible tokens. These players would lose college eligibility but be able to advance toward the G League and NBA draft in a more basketball-intensive environment.<-
is a loser for the kids. they cut themselves off at the knees.

Reaction Score
2014 was a rocket ship built by Jim Calhoun. Ollie rode that rocket ship to the moon and pressed all the right buttons along the way. Ollie also got the parade and hero treatment when he landed, but make no mistake about it, Jim Calhoun built that rocket.
Calhoun blew up the rocket ship when he was too lame to game the APR system and got UConn out of the NCAA's in 2013 and the two best payers (Drummond and Lamb; and only guys from 2012 in NBA now) left for NBA and two other best inside guys (Roscoe and Alex) transferred out.

So the rocket ship left by Calhoun was Bazz and Boat with a 2.6 pts per game Giffey and 3.0 pts per game Daniels. Nolan didn't come 'till the 2013 season and Kromah in 2014 along with Amida.

The 2014 was the most overachieving NCAA champ in the last 25 years.

If he set up 2014, Calhoun's 2012 team should have been champs also as they had the 4 key players from 2014 plus 2 NBA talent level players and 2 big time inside presences who finished very successful college careers elsewhere, talk about a lousy coaching job. All that talent in 2012 and all Calhoun could do in NCAA's was one and done, losing by 13 to Iowa State who lost their next game by 16.

Reaction Score
Calhoun blew up the rocket ship when he was too lame to game the APR system and got UConn out of the NCAA's in 2013 and the two best payers (Drummond and Lamb; and only guys from 2012 in NBA now) left for NBA and two other best inside guys (Roscoe and Alex) transferred out.

So the rocket ship left by Calhoun was Bazz and Boat with a 2.6 pts per game Giffey and 3.0 pts per game Daniels. Nolan didn't come 'till the 2013 season and Kromah in 2014 along with Amida.

The 2014 was the most overachieving NCAA champ in the last 25 years.

If he set up 2014, Calhoun's 2012 team should have been champs also as they had the 4 key players from 2014 plus 2 NBA talent level players and 2 big time inside presences who finished very successful college careers elsewhere, talk about a lousy coaching job. All that talent in 2012 and all Calhoun could do in NCAA's was one and done, losing by 13 to Iowa State who lost their next game by 16.
This board is horrendous at nuanced takes. All of these things are true:
  • JC stupidly thumbed his nose at the NCAA by blowing off the APR instead of gaming it like everyone else and practically begged Emmert to hammer us with penalties
  • JC did a horrible job coaching in 2012, probably the worst of his career
  • KO did a good job coaching up the 2012 players over 2013-2014
  • KO benefited tremendously from JC's recruiting. He could not have done what he did with his own recruits, he needed JC's tough-minded recruits. In fact, we know this because KO failed spectacularly at identifying talent and coaching up his own recruits.

tl;dr: JC gave KO the pieces, but KO molded them from there. Both deserve some credit.

Reaction Score
2014 was a rocket ship built by Jim Calhoun. Ollie rode that rocket ship to the moon and pressed all the right buttons along the way. Ollie also got the parade and hero treatment when he landed, but make no mistake about it, Jim Calhoun built that rocket.
Revisionist history at its finest, the tenor on this board after JC's retirement, the tourney ban, NBA departures and transfers was doomsday. To try to claim that Ollie was handed this great team/situation that he had to guide on autopilot is complete nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom