Ollie has the makings of a media darling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie has the makings of a media darling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if dapriest is a homeless man's version of Frank Ivy or if the original's writing has slipped.

Yeah, say what you will about Frank, but at least he's pretty funny.

Phillionaire is 100% correct about y'all by the way. Try it and you won't go back.

Reaction Score
I'd be the first one to support seeing a head coach of at an ACADEMIC INSTITUTION have a certain level of speech, but I have to say, I see no issue with the youtube up there. In fact, KO speaks with the type of poise and cadence that are actually pleasantly suprising in that clip, not having heard much of him. In the least, guy has the foundation to work with - doesn't sound like some jabbering moron. I'm sure someone will point it out and he seems like the kind of guy who will work at it, nothing to suggest he wouldn't up until this point in his life.

Reaction Score
Much better, to be sure.
Like I said, with some effort he could go from passable to outstanding.
It's much worse when you read it quoted than it is hearing it. He's a better public speaker than Calhoun, but the writers (after mocking him) usually cleaned up all the confusing parts of JC in the quotes. Before the press conference, I had never heard Ollie speak, only read him quoted. I was much more concerned then than I am now. He can still fix things, but he's good.

Reaction Score
I know there are some people who won't be able to get past his language skills, but I don't' think the NBA was exactly the place to improve such skills. Writers have the benefit of rough drafts editors. I wonder how they'd do if there was a law that said they have to publish every word they type and can't hit the Backspace key, or the Delete key?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I give dapriest credit for calling it as he sees it. I don't see it the same as he does here, but I understand exactly what he is saying and I am sure there are many who do agree with him. I think many of his points are legitimate and not intended to be racist or otherwise offending. People should be capable of having these conversations without assuming that those who see it differently are necessarily motivated by bad intentions. Assuming arguendo that his is a mindset formed by regional prejudices (which I have no basis to do), do you think that mindset is more likely to change when people call each other inflammatory names, or when one side simply observes that the thing they thought mattered doesn't seem to bother others whose opinions they respect?

Wonderfully stated. Unfortunately not heeded by some.

It is our nature to judge things by the cover. We make quick impressions of someone and relate those impressions to our experiences including whatever ideas we accept from others about what is good or bad. I'm no different than anyone else. It's prudent to make quick assessments. When we're put in a situation that is unknown it's important to look for cues to determine if the situation is dangerous as opposed to safe. Most higher organisms including humans are wired this way. But that should only be the beginning of our examination if we're not in a life threatening situation. Unfortunately there will be some people who will think KO's speech will reflect badly on UConn, particularly because of the APR issue.

I prefer to look at someone's character as opposed to skills in speech or how one dresses. Those things are important but they don't hold a candle to someone who is dedicated, loyal, trustworthy, has the ability to relate to others, has a strong desire to develop others, has a hunger to learn and improve, and so on. I'm strongly in KO's camp because he oozes those qualities. These attributes served the previous coach pretty darn well and I feel KO is an upgrade regarding his ability to relate to others but, like JC, isn't phony about it. I don't know anything about KO's ability to coach. He's an unwritten book, but he has all the qualifications to become an outstanding coach imo.

It would be a shame if any of the powers to be fall into the trap that says a person needs to be a good spokesperson to represent the institution properly because I think that the majority of people who would follow KO would decide he is a class act.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I care a lot more about the man's character than the way he speaks. He's coaching a sport not running a white collar business. You can lead young men and turn them into better players and people without being a good public speaker.

Reaction Score
He's a basketball coach for heaven's sake! I'm more concerned about him saying the right things than how he says them. I don't care if John Calipari hired the guy who helped with the King's Speech, that guy consistently says the absolute wrong things to the media. Ollie shows he has substance and priorities.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He's a high character guy. The only thing he might want to work on is to say something different than yall over and over again. I love the guy but a little polish applied to his public speaking would help. Just replace Yall with All of you or some other form of that idea would work.

We've gone from Bostonian to Deep South...but KO is from LA. He was born in TX though. I don't know how long he lived there.

Don't get me wrong. I mean not to judge him. I'm over the top impressed with the content of what he says and the way he conducts himself, which is what a person should be measured by.
If yall brings in recruits yall is what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom