Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

Reaction Score
Whoever is hired better have a flawless record as far as the ncaa is concerned, or Ollie will easily win his claim.
Perhaps, especially if one leaps to an assumption UConn's perception of "Just cause" is exclusively limited solely to alleged violations of NCAA regs. And, some people inexplicably appear to have bought a tweet or quote or so regarding some extra practices equates to "Just cause". Could be, in some minds.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I loved Calhoun and was very sad when he retired. But you are right about precedents Calhoun even had to vacate wins because of Kirk King but the University never tiol any action against him. Why? Because he was winning. Ollie's lawyers and union rep are certainly aware of that.
They needed to just admit it was for poor coaching and be done with it.
Minor violation + Winning =/= Minor violation + losing (badly)

I think we all can agree with that that is true, right?

Think of it this way, if you are a big producer at work your boss might tell you to stop yelling at the file clerk but he's not likely to fire you over it. But if you are not otherwise doing your job that could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Reaction Score

Think of it this way, if you are a big producer at work your boss might tell you to stop yelling at the file clerk but he's not likely to fire you over it. But if you are not otherwise doing your job that could be the straw that broke the camels back.
Exactly. If you're going to break the rules don't suck at your job.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Wow.

Unbelievable. I would absolutely love to be the lawyer representing the terminated employee in the scenario you just laid out.

Reaction Score
Wow.

Unbelievable. I would absolutely love to be the lawyer representing the terminated employee in the scenario you just laid out.
Why? It happens every day. To give you a better example, if you're some lowly employee and do a good job but show up 5 minutes late every day, no one is going to care. If you show up 5 minutes late everyday and you're bad at your job you have given them a reason to get rid of you. It's not that complicated

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you knew HALF of what happened behind the scenes you would change your mindset completely. If and when some of it comes out, you will be shocked.

I personally hope none of it has to come out and that a reasonable compromise is reached. But if KO plays hardball, things could get very interesting.

What makes me nervous is that if you and others have information about violations it is only a matter of time the NCAA gets a hold of those violations if they don't already have them. How does UConn escape a failure for institutional control?

This is just another reason why I can't get excited about KO's firing. How can anyone be excited about removing a bad coach when the university and the the bb program are very likely going to take a big hit (if your assertions are correct). Who in their right mind would be excited if they found a twenty dollar bill on the side walk the same day they lost their home to the bank. At least that's how I equate the degree of victory some of you casual fans are celebrating with KO's firing versus the war that will be lost with an NCAA issuance of institutional control failure.

August_West

Reaction Score
Why? It happens every day. To give you a better example, if you're some lowly employee and do a good job but show up 5 minutes late every day, no one is going to care. If you show up 5 minutes late everyday and you're bad at your job you have given them a reason to get rid of you. It's not that complicated

Would love to be the lawyer in that case too.

Reaction Score
What makes me nervous is that if you and others have information about violations it is only a matter of time the NCAA gets a hold of those violations if they don't already have them. How does UConn escape a failure for institutional control?

This is just another reason why I can't get excited about KO's firing. How can anyone be excited about removing a bad coach when the university and the the bb program are very likely going to take a big hit (if your assertions are correct). Who in their right mind would be excited if they found a twenty dollar bill on the side walk the same day they lost their home to the bank. At least that's how I equate the degree of victory some of you casual fans are celebrating with KO's firing versus the war that will be lost with an NCAA issuance of institutional control failure.

Violating the contract could involve activities that the NCAA wouldn't be concerned with, at least theoretically.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Violating the contract could involve activities that the NCAA wouldn't be concerned with, at least theoretically.
Your reply to Kathy hints otherwise. PM what you know so I can sleep better tonight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow.

I'm sure you would but you will just have to stick to jiggling connectors on the back of printers.

August_West

Reaction Score
Don't quit your day job.

Really? You think someone being fired for being 5 minutes late daily and another not fired for the same behavior would not bring about a lawsuit?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Ollie is a hungry huskie. pay that man.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Ollie appears to be on the hook for ANYTHING that occurred on his watch. Kinda sucks for him if he had no idea a violation was occurring and it results in him losing $10 million.

If the violation is something where UConn would have defended him if he was winning they should have offered him something in the buyout. UConn could have negotiated in private, but instead they are the ones that went public by releasing the statement that he was being fired for just cause. If the cause is minor UConn deserves all the bad press they receive

Reaction Score
But you are right about precedents Calhoun even had to vacate wins because of Kirk King but the University never tiol any action against him.
@Kathy Behind the scenes, how do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt the University took absolutely no actions with JC? Soft, wrist slaps perhaps, but absolutely zero actions? No, not perceptions, not interpretations; facts?

Setting aside JC's time as coach, how do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt UConn is unaware of other possible concerns regarding KO, e.g., not just some purported NCAA allegations? Reasonably, it's unlikely 99% of us truly know all of the facts regarding KO and similarly regarding JC during his time as coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ollie appears to be on the hook for ANYTHING that occurred on his watch. Kinda sucks for him if he had no idea a violation was occurring and it results in him losing $10 million.

If the violation is something where UConn would have defended him if he was winning they should have offered him something in the buyout. UConn could have negotiated in private, but instead they are the ones that went public by releasing the statement that he was being fired for just cause. If the cause is minor UConn deserves all the bad press they receive

Sorry -- but I disagree. AD Dave would be doing the university a disservice if he didn't do whatever it takes to save money and put it towards a new coach. Even if the violation was minor. It's a tough business.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is going to be rather straight forward. Either UConn can show Ollie breached his contract or they can't.

If they can't KO leaves with 10M.
If they can, then they settle to avoid a lawsuit and extending this past March.

KO, will be fine either way. He won't be the coach but he won't be short of cash.

They may even agree to pay him the 10M over a longer term.

We don't know what UConn's case is.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Really? You think someone being fired for being 5 minutes late daily and another not fired for the same behavior would not bring about a lawsuit?
It may generate a lawsuit, but the trick is to win that lawsuit. The law is an unemotional cold b'tard, and doesn't care who it is being applied to or who is doing the application, only that it be followed. While you may claim that the law is being unfairly enforced, proving that claim is more difficult than you imagine. Moreover, selective enforcement is not necessarily actionable under labor codes. There a reason those sleaze bags we lovingly refer to as lawyers earn large amounts of money, because they find a path through the thicket that is the law.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are unreal. There is zero benefit to allowing a guy you plan to fire hang around. If you are going to do it you just do it. You can negotiate terms later and undoubtably they will. But AD Dave said they were initiating action to remove him for cause. The process they are going through now is that action. Hearings and appeals. Doubtful Ollie wins. Most likely at some point he gets a settlement but not guaranteed.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Could you supply a theoretical example? Did the university give KO a warning over said issue? If we "should know half the things KO has done" as you implied to @Kathy, how can the university win an arbitration that claims KO broke university rules if his behavior occurred over a long period of time and no actions were taken by the AD? Is spontaneous enlightenment a strong hand for the AD?

Reaction Score
If he broke the rules - that's a huge if- something you have no idea about
It's something you have no idea about either, yet you and Kathy keep beating the drum that the university is trying to screw KO over. The University probably has a pretty good idea what's going on with the NCAA investigation. You and Kathy have absolutely no clue. It's probably best to have all the information at hand before jumping to conclusions. It's called common sense. You give someone else crap and tell them they have no idea if KO broke the rules or not, meanwhile your post is a whole host of assumpions, including that KO did nothing wrong. Unbelievable...

He is going to get his money - no question about it
AD David Benedict and co. rolled the dice and they will lose
KO wasn't coming back, everyone half a brain knew that but trying to get it on the cheap is going to cost money
It's now a matter of principle - KO would not do this if he knew he did something wrong enough to get himself fired beyond performance
This allows me to think that this was all a surprise and the school's AD, Pres, McHugh and BoT did not seek some type of amicable parting solution - something that should have occurred
Time for a complete housecleaning - start with McHugh and Herbst and send DB packing to where he wants to go -the SEC
This has the looks of something ugly and if I'm KO I would stick my nose up at any attempting of appeasement by DB.

Reaction Score
I strongly suspect that the University will divulge their grounds in terms of "cause" and that will result in a compromise settlement. As others have stated, the grounds for "cause" are very broad under the terms of the contract, and may involve numerous activities both within and outside the scope of the pending NCAA investigation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom