Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If that is the case, you must then believe that UConn should have fired Jim Calhoun right after the NCAA released its report of infractions while he was coach. You just can't have it both ways. Ollie is going to cite the handling of Calhoun by UConn as precedence. He may even throw out the race card which would then make this situation even uglier. The real reason Calhoun was treated differently was that he was still winning games and Ollie no longer did.

Not 'should' have, but 'could' have. It gave them the option. Why bother firing a HOF coach if they don't have to?

But since Ollie stunk, AND he got the school under investigation, they chose to excercise that option.

Nice little piece of optionality for the school if it works. They can hire/fire using performance as the tipping point on the decision. If I'm the next coach, I try to get that language tightened up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If that is the case, you must then believe that UConn should have fired Jim Calhoun right after the NCAA released its report of infractions while he was coach. You just can't have it both ways. Ollie is going to cite the handling of Calhoun by UConn as precedence. He may even throw out the race card which would then make this situation even uglier. The real reason Calhoun was treated differently was that he was still winning games and Ollie no longer did.

Absolutely, we are in full agreement on that point. Short of and perhaps including murder, the “for cause” option would not be exercised if this were Jim Calhoun. He is a once in a generation, hall of fame coach.

Ollie demonstrated himself to be over his head, with little hope of recovering soon. He was paid as a top 10 coach. Bringing NCAA heat ( and I assume this is real heat and not some ticky tack minor violation like what has been leaked recently ) when he is clearly deficient at the coaching part of his job is certain death. Others have put it much more eloquently than I, but if you are going to suck at your job, at his pay grade, your program needs to be squeaky clean.

Ollie’s contract spells all of that out. There shouldn’t be any outrage here if we are presented with credible, material violations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom