Ollie Coaches Like He's an NBA Coach | The Boneyard

Ollie Coaches Like He's an NBA Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That isn't good or bad at face value, but that's how he coaches.

In the NBA there's 82 games, seven months of games plus the post season and varying ages and interests amongst the players.

You can't get too high or low and too much emotion is draining for all involved.

Those characteristics need to be modified for a college coach. Every college season is like the strike-shortened NBA season a few years ago. It's a sprint and every game counts.

You can't go through the motions for a week and lose 2-3 games and it not impact your seeding for the playoffs. One or two games like Temple last night are the difference between a 3 seed and a 7 seed in the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
My impression was that NBA coaches call plays sometimes.

[I also agree that he's lacking the necessary urgency both in-game and with respect to the whole season.]

Reaction Score
A good coach coaches to his players abilities and I don't think he does this well. He runs his "NBA offenses," which is usually the motion offense that is run for the most part. But everything single thing about it is nonchalant. No one cuts hard. No one actually sets a pick on an opposing player. No one makes a good and well placed pass. Which eventually leads to a one-on-one iso at the end of the shot clock and forced shot. Or, Ollie loves the horns set, with both bigs coming up and the PG picking his poison, however, our pick and roll offense is atrocious so this doesn't work as well. Time to stray away from the motion offenses and move towards quick hitters.

That's just the problem I have with his offensive coaching abilities. Don't get me started on his game managing mishaps.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A good coach coaches to his players abilities and I don't think he does this well. He runs his "NBA offenses," which is usually the motion offense that is run for the most part. But everything single thing about it is nonchalant. No one cuts hard. No one actually sets a pick on an opposing player. No one makes a good and well placed pass. Which eventually leads to a one-on-one iso at the end of the shot clock and forced shot. Or, Ollie loves the horns set, with both bigs coming up and the PG picking his poison, however, our pick and roll offense is atrocious so this doesn't work as well. Time to stray away from the motion offenses and move towards quick hitters.

That's just the problem I have with his offensive coaching abilities. Don't get me started on his game managing mishaps.

I use cross-sport and cross-gender comparisons sparingly, but...........Geno A has a quote about the difference between practicing til you get it right vice practicing til you can't get it wrong. The devil is in the details of hard cuts, setting screens, running your man in to a screen, catching the ball with feet set, etc.

Reaction Score
Practice til you can't get it wrong vs practicing til you get it right. Geno is such a boss.

Reaction Score
Could Coach be treating his players NBA style, as in prima donnas or simply too much respect. I have not seen him demonstratively pull a player from the game, tongue lash a player or even reprimand a player for poor play (during games).

NBA coaches don't do that. But these are college 'kids', many may require disciplining at various times or require strong tactics to drive a message through.

Not saying he's too nice (or am I saying that?).

Reaction Score
He's still learning that is obvious. I'm not a big fan of his criticism of Daniel in the media while not sitting him when he didn't dive. What message are you sending? How about some lessons while the game is being played then maybe he will see the light?

Not good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's still learning that is obvious. I'm not a big fan of his criticism of Daniel in the media while not sitting him when he didn't dive. What message are you sending? How about some lessons while the game is being played then maybe he will see the light?

Not good.

Either way it's a teaching moment. It's a matter of what lesson you taught.

Lesson #1- You half-assed an attempt at a loose ball and the other team gained an extra possession. Sit. Lesson learned? Hustle matters. Effort can equalize or overcome talent. Whole team sees the message. Quote probable that a player sees an opportunity for more PT just by putting max effort and literally leaving everything on the floor.

Lesson #2- You half-assed an attempt at a loose ball and the other team gains an extra possession. Player stays in because of skill and talent. Whole team sees it and realize that skill development is the way to more PT.

Most of my best bosses and mentors had a common theme when it came to leadership and standards. Whether you choose to enforce a standard or ignore a standard your personnel will adjust to the expectancy level.

Reaction Score
I wish Calhoun signed up as an assistant coach to help Ollie. Just seeing him sitting on the bench would make me want to run through a brick wall.

Reaction Score
I wish Calhoun signed up as an assistant coach to help Ollie. Just seeing him sitting on the bench would make me want to run through a brick wall.
Nobody would see the team as truly KO's if JC is next to him on the bench. And that's just not how it's done in the coaching world, especially for a coach of JC's caliber. Pops is not stepping down to an assistant role when his heir apparent takes the throne and then slowly fade away. Neither will Izzo, and neither will K.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Not good.

Because thats what an NBA/Professional level coach does - they criticize and "coach" players through the mass media.
I am quite sure that KO has the ability to be a very successful long term NCAA MBB coach. I am just surprised how impassive he is on the bench when the players are losing their heads, doing stupid things and playing lazy. These are "kids" learning not pros being paid for things they should know and do.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I use cross-sport and cross-gender comparisons sparingly, but......Geno A has a quote about the difference between practicing til you get it right vice practicing til you can't get it wrong. The devil is in the details of hard cuts, setting screens, running your man in to a screen, catching the ball with feet set, etc.

He's not a bad example for this kind of point/post. Some things are universal throughout sport in general and this is one of them. Geno just happens to do it the best in his particular sport. It's a good model to follow. In the NBA, I see a team like the Spurs doing the same thing. Or the Patriots in football. The old cliche 'practice makes perfect' is true.

RE the OP, it is interesting theory. I would love to have some insider perspective on how Ollie runs practices and how the team responds in those sessions. I've absolutely no idea about that stuff.

Reaction Score
PcketknfNiels said:
He's right though? Not that Calhoun was ever some halfcourt offensive savant either though.

No, he's not. And while I'm sure you think the Calhoun comment is clever, it's equally dumb. Calhoun put his best players in positions to make plays, just like they do in the NBA. He didn't run a motion offense like Bob Knight (half the people referring to motion offense on this board have no idea what it means) and he didn't run the Princeton offense because both of those systems are designed to mask athletic and individual deficiencies. The offenses of both Calhoun and Ollie are intended to put players in favorable matchups. When the players execute, it looks great. When they don't, you get the other night.

The stuff about Calhoun not knowing how to run offense is just nonsense from people who never had any idea what they were watching.

Incidentally, the only reason I saw your post is because I opened this thread on my phone. I didn't know you were back in town. Usually you pick a fight, get your feelings hurt, and disappear.

Reaction Score
No, he's not. And while I'm sure you think the Calhoun comment is clever, it's equally dumb. Calhoun put his best players in positions to make plays, just like they do in the NBA. He didn't run a motion offense like Bob Knight (half the people referring to motion offense on this board have no idea what it means) and he didn't run the Princeton offense because both of those systems are designed to mask athletic and individual deficiencies. The offenses of both Calhoun and Ollie are intended to put players in favorable matchups. When the players execute, it looks great. When they don't, you get the other night.

The stuff about Calhoun not knowing how to run offense is just nonsense from people who never had any idea what they were watching.

Incidentally, the only reason I saw your post is because I opened this thread on my phone. I didn't know you were back in town. Usually you pick a fight, get your feelings hurt, and disappear.
Ollie's motion offense is so slow and drawn out. Especially when Purvis and Hamilton start in the corners. Ollie or the floor general at the time often times is calling out what they want done each and every step of the way (and by this I mean the motion has already been called and the guys on the floor aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing so Gibbs/Adams/Ollie will call for the next movement of the offense). At the end of the Temple game (and Texas and Tulane for that matter) often times there was 1-2 guys moving while the other 3 stood around. Games in the end in which we lead, we play not to lose rather than continuing to play to win and executing how you'd normally like to execute. That's not how you play basketball or win games.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, I just can't take you seriously after your MSG incident. You're no longer a serious analyst, you're a "rah-rah" mascot.

Your comments about Calhoun and Ollie are so general that it's clear you don't know what you're actually talking about. You're just generalizing for the sake of having a response, because you're too insecure to ever leave well enough alone.

This bizarre "I'm the smartest guy in the room" act is worn out. You can't even attempt to convincingly pull that off anymore.

Reaction Score
Ollie's motion offense is so slow and drawn out. Especially when Purvis and Hamilton start in the corners. Ollie or the floor general at the time often times is calling out what they want done each and every step of the way (and by this I mean the motion has already been called and the guys on the floor aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing so Gibbs/Adams/Ollie will call for the next movement of the offense). At the end of the Temple game (and Texas and Tulane for that matter) often times there was 1-2 guys moving while the other 3 stood around. Games in the end in which we lead, we play not to lose rather than continuing to play to win and executing how you'd normally like to execute. That's not how you play basketball or win games.

I'd like to see him actually design a play to get somebody open in a close/late situation (even if it means leaving time on the clock on the other end) rather than the stagnant "hold the ball until there's 6 seconds left on the shot clock" and iso or have time for 1 pass. Looked great 2 years ago when we had the best player in the country, doesn't work when that isn't the case.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see him actually design a play to get somebody open in a close/late situation (even if it means leaving time on the clock on the other end) rather than the stagnant "hold the ball until there's 6 seconds left on the shot clock" and iso or have time for 1 pass. Looked great 2 years ago when we had the best player in the country, doesn't work when that isn't the case.
He's shown it before. Out of a timeout last game he ran a quick set to get Miller coming off a screen down low and getting the ball on the low block. I'm sure he has a ton of set plays - just wish we'd see them more. I'd like to see more quick hitters.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

But that's just it, it's not a motion offense to begin with. UCONN has always relied on it's athletes to make plays. The main 'traditional' weapon is the pick and roll. Right now, guys just aren't executing. And it looks slow and sluggish as a result. Someone else said it, when a bunch of athletic guys are ducking this offense up, it looks even more like a turd than a traditional college offense. It takes away their greatest strength.

Reaction Score
But that's just it, it's not a motion offense to begin with. UCONN has always relied on it's athletes to make plays. The main 'traditional' weapon is the pick and roll. Right now, guys just aren't executing. And it looks slow and sluggish as a result. Someone else said it, when a bunch of athletic guys are ducking the offense up, it looks even more like a turd than a traditional college offense.
Well, our pick and roll offense is atrocious because our players set screens on air. When they do make contact with a body, it's an illegal screen.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I just can't take you seriously after your MSG incident. You're no longer a serious analyst, you're a "rah-rah" mascot.

To be fair, leaving aside any Boneyard interactions, he was bombed out of his mind for that particular stretch. And is noticeably embarrassed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom