Ollie called the Boneyarders out! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie called the Boneyarders out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's funny he is throwing shade at haters from a position of being bailed out by a miracle 3!

We are proud of these guys now though. Hope for more miracles.
Great point.

They are what they are. Very good defensive team. Good in transition, though don't tend to finish well. There were at least 4 layups they missed today. Shoot free throws lights out. Lack a winning-time scorer they've had the past decade (Kemba, Bazz or Boatright). Great shot blocker. Dreadful half court offense for long stretches. In other words, they are a mix bag that squandered another late lead to overcome that thanks to a freshman's three quarter court buzzer beater.

I must admit, the way they ended the regular season, I didn't expect them to string together 3 straight Ws. They struggle to close out games, which is dangerous this time of year. Props to them for getting it done and getting the automatic bid. Maybe they'll surprise us and continue their winning time success on the biggest stage.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I would hope that KO never visits the boneyard. This site is no different then the websites of other teams. There are die hard fans, fair weather fans, trolls, and everyone is allowed to have an opinion. The HC should be concerned only about his team. If the HC has a beef with a journalist that is ok but calling out the fans shows the skin is a little thin IMO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would hope that KO never visits the boneyard. This site is no different then the websites of other teams. There are die hard fans, fair weather fans, trolls, and everyone is allowed to have an opinion. The HC should be concerned only about his team. If the HC has a beef with a journalist that is ok but calling out the fans shows the skin is a little thin IMO.

Nah, calling out the fans just shows he's got fire. Calhoun did the same thing. Both these guys are loyal to the bone, and they expect the fans to be the same. I like it.

Reaction Score
KO is waiting with baited breath for every word from the Yard, right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The definition of a fair weather fan is that they stop supporting the team when times are tough. There are some on this board who were ready to turn on KO after the Maryland game. Their attacks on KO became even more vile after every lost. At times I feel like they where almost waiting for loses just to justify their criticism. It doesn't mean their not fans, it just means that they pull their full support when things go wrong. Maybe they don't want to get their heart broken. They are the same people that got off the band wagon in 11 when UCONN lost to Providence and also in 14 when they got lit up by Louisville. The ultimate UCONN fan is Kevin Ollie. He believed in his team when they had nothing to play for, continued to believe in his team even after blow out losses, and he continues to turn down opportunities to coach the greatest players in the world in the NBA so that he can coach the program that he continues to believe in. Fair weather fans don't deserve Kevin Ollie. They should just all go support Duke or Kentucky. That way they will only get their heart broken at the end of the year instead going thru the ups and downs of the team thru out the year. You're either on the wagon or you watching it go by. Go to Kentucky if you can't take the bad times, that way you can always look at your recruiting classes and smile. I'll take the lows that go along with the season because at Uconn they lead to national championships.

Please. Stop supporting the team means you stop caring and stop watching. Even when the team, or KO drives me freaking crazy I come here nearly every day and I watch every game. If I didn't care I wouldn't bother to be critical.

Criticism flows from passion, it means you care enough to want them to overcome mistakes and succeed. I guarantee you that Kevin Ollie is hard on his players and, privately, hard on himself for his mistakes. There is no reason to expect any UConn fan to be otherwise.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't agree. I want a coach who defends his players and staff. Most likely he was responding to fans who were booing the team at games. Or worse. The Boneyard is terrific but I doubt it gets much of a reaction from the coaching staff.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Please. Stop supporting the team means you stop caring and stop watching. Even when the team, or KO drives me freaking crazy I come here nearly every day and I watch every game. If I didn't care I wouldn't bother to be critical.

Criticism flows from passion, it means you care enough to want them to overcome mistakes and succeed. I guarantee you that Kevin Ollie is hard on his players and, privately, hard on himself for his mistakes. There is no reason to expect any UConn fan to be otherwise.
Most of us look for an optimum performance in any endeavor. Why doesn't that apply to how we analyze games? Sucky attitude is sucky attitude whether on the court or in a forum.

I would wager the following correlation exists: people who most insist on changes in others are the most resistant to making changes in themselves.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Or maybe Ollie was responding to people who said his job was on the line or done.
I'm sure he was not responding to an internet website.

Passion doesn't justify everything. We need some ability to control our passion from being offensive. Otherwise, life becomes an insult fest and the next thing you know we will have presidential candidates that are nothing but...Oh. Nevermind.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Most of us look for an optimum performance in any endeavor. Why doesn't that apply to how we analyze games? Sucky attitude is sucky attitude whether on the court or in a forum.

I would wager the following correlation exists: people who most insist on changes in others are the most resistant to making changes in themselves.

They are also the people who would lead to the dreaded coaching carousel. Imagine if our AD was like Jeffrey Lurie (Eagles Owner). You'd get the same results.

Reaction Score
Where the hell is the nuance? Criticizing Ollie doesn't mean you want to "fire Ollie". He made mistakes. He knows it. He has the team playing much better, but unfortunately the screwups in several easily winnable games means we are a 9 seed instead of a 5-6. The path now runs through the #1 overall seed.

I think he's still growing and improving as a coach. Hope he is here a long time.

UConn's path always runs through the #1 overall seed. It's just a matter of when.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Passion doesn't justify everything. We need some ability to control our passion from being offensive. Otherwise, life becomes an insult fest and the next thing you know we will have presidential candidates that are nothing but...Oh. Nevermind.

It's an internet world...and we are just living in it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
They are also the people who would lead to the dreaded coaching carousel. Imagine if our AD was like Jeffrey Lurie (Eagles Owner). You'd get the same results.
Chip Kelly. UGH!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Chip Kelly. UGH!

Not to derail, but to provide context to what a sh-tshow looks like:

personally, I would have stayed with Kelly for another couple of years. He had one year of control of his players. That's not enough time. He got rid of some talented guys, but they were also headaches. His biggest mistake was letting Maclin go.

I think the main problem is Howie Roseman, the guy who calls all the shots. He failed prior to Kelly, got demoted, then like a snake-in-the-grass, he still had Lurie's ear and got Kelly fired. Now he's back in power with a puppet coach. He fired pretty much all the college scouting dept, right before the combine/draft! I think only 2 or 3 reps attended the combine: Howie, Lurie, and one other guy! And Howie doesn't have any real football background...he's a contract guy!!!

It all comes back Lurie himself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Criticism flows from passion, it means you care enough to want them to overcome mistakes and succeed.

Criticism certainly can flow from passion, and when that criticism is distilled into logical argument it makes for excellent debate and interesting reading. But when that criticism is just flung onto the board (outside of game threads, anyway), or when the criticism derives more from ego than passion, then you end up with a mess of ad hominem attacks - including against players and coaches, and including among posters - and a dearth of interesting discussion about anything other than pizza.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between criticism and meanspirited pessimism.

I'm talking about the people who want Purvis not to come back. The people who think Gibbs should be permanently benched. The people who take a dump on Brimah every time he doesn't have a great game.

Those people are not providing insightful criticism, they're just being jackasses.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We were not getting in if Adams doesn't hit that 60+ footer.
But, you also have to be in the position that when you hit the miracle shot, it counts. Luck is the residue of design.

Reaction Score
Face it:
1. KO is terrible and leaving for the NBA
2. Our players are awful and heartless
3. The program is tanking
4. The school is a drain on the state
5. And our fans are fair weather douches
6. We don't deserve to be in the tournament
7. Colorado is going to destroy us then lose to Kansas.

Reaction Score
exactly
there is a dolt in the chatroom today who never says anything positive about KO. JA committed a brain dead foul (not on the 3pt shot) and did it in front of KO (1st half). KO showed his disdain towards JA and immediately this dolt writes that KO was wrong to do this in front of the refs because, instead, KO should have been ragging on the refs to get an advantage. He was intimating that even though it was an evident screw-up, by KO letting his frustration at the player instead of the refs, somehow was showing the refs that he thought they were doing a great job.
I understand so little of this reasoning. Every time Memphis made a run, it was on KO. It was said that when Memphis got it to 4 that they wondered if UConn was in any kind of game shape? Did you not see 4 of the UConn guys sitting with 4 fouls? The fact that UConn played a 4OT game on Friday and a pressure packed game Saturday should never be considered, hell, KO doesn't know how to condition these guys.
Its this stuff that drives me crazy

Every loss was KO's fault, every negative thing was a direct result of a KO action.

I remember these same people eluding to, when AB got injured, that perhaps there was a conditioning question that may have caused a "freak" injury.

Do I think KO walks on water? Hell no BUT in 4 years he has produced 4 consecutive 20+ wins years (I know, an expectation) 1 league championship, how many championship game appearances and, oh yes, 1 NC (but that was with JCs guys so it doesn't count)
It's ALLUDING to, not ELUDING to. If you're going to continue to preach from your high horse, you should at least have a grasp of the English language.

Reaction Score
Did he call out @Husky Dad for trying to fire him for 2 straight years? Speaking of that, where has he been recently?

Just want to say I have drunk posted multiple times before while watching us lose. I over react. I don't want to blame the players although I made an ill advised thread on Enoch when I thought he should have passed out. For the record I always wanted Kevin to be full time at CT as coach. It's just sometimes I wish he would throw down and get a T just to alert refs he gives a spit or to alert the players he is going to give them hell in practice the next day. Kevin and the team deserve my respect they pulled it together this year. They made me watch 4 overtime game from my knees a foot from a 50 inch television. I yelled at any passer by who might ask a jinxing type question. I am a wear it on your sleeve kind of guy. Kevin has done a masterful job as a conductor this year getting this disparate group of talent to gel. We can take on anyone. Hu Ra Huskies!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It's ALLUDING to, not ELUDING to. If you're going to continue to preach from your high horse, you should at least have a grasp of the English language.

Ooh! Grammar burn!

Reaction Score
Face it:
1. KO is terrible and leaving for the NBA
2. Our players are awful and heartless
3. The program is tanking
4. The school is a drain on the state
5. And our fans are fair weather douches
6. We don't deserve to be in the tournament
7. Colorado is going to destroy us then lose to Kansas.

What a marvelous description of UConn men BB status. You forget to throw the UConn women BB under the bus also!!! They are so boring and lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom