Ollie called the Boneyarders out! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie called the Boneyarders out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

I don't think anyone who spends time on this board and takes the time to post should be considered fair weather fans. Everyone (except the troll fans of other schools) is passionate about the team or we'd find other things to do with our time. There are different ways to express the passion in good times and bad. Some funny, some analytical, others thought provoking, and some, well.....bat-shizz crazy....

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone who spends time on this board and takes the time to post should be considered fair weather fans. Everyone (except the troll fans of other schools) is passionate about the team or we'd find other things to do with our time. There are different ways to express the passion in good times and bad. Some funny, some analytical, others thought provoking, and some, well.....bat-shizz crazy....
I agree. I think 80% of us have been fair with our criticism and fair with our praise. The team was a 60 foot prayer away from a 2nd straight NIT, with plenty of talent on its roster. KO had many head scratching moments the past two years, it doesn't make someone a bandwagon fan to rightfully be concerned about our incredibly successful program and where it was headed. I see good adjustments out of KO and staff recently, along with better judgment and execution from the players. They appear to be playing their best ball of the year when it counts most and we're here to support them just as we were after that embarrassing loss to SMU and some other bad losses this season. I'm glad KO wants to prove doubters wrong, now if he can learn to work officials better :)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Disagree. Some fans are committed fans with loyalty. Others just want to be fans of winners.
Some see only negatives and respond with insults with their criticism, like a horrible parent/teacher/coach/etc. Others critique w/o trashing and also see the positives.
If you're a fan only when all is rosey, you're not a fan, you are a frontrunner

Reaction Score
Disagree. Some fans are committed fans with loyalty. Others just want to be fans of winners.
Some see only negatives and respond with insults with their criticism, like a horrible parent/teacher/coach/etc. Others critique w/o trashing and also see the positives.

Yeah, just see the at-SMU game thread. Tons of people in that thread announced that they had given up on the team. Losers.

Reaction Score
A: Some see only negatives and respond with insults with their criticism, like a horrible parent/teacher/coach/etc.

B: Others critique w/o trashing and also see the positives.
I would be incredibly interested to figure out who here is a UConn alum and who isn't; then see the spread of those two populations across columns A and B.

Reaction Score
Well if you told me this season we'd be in the tournament, having won our conference tournament and playing our best ball this season - i'd have been pretty happy with that.

Reaction Score

There's an implicit question here: what does it mean to be a fan? In the simplest terms, there are two definitions:

A) Someone who wants the team to do well
B) Someone who thinks the team is doing or will do well

I don't think it's disloyal to both want the team to do well, but also point out its faults, what could be done better, or what may be troubling in the future.

A consistent problem on this board is the people who believe the "B" definition of fanhood think the "A" people aren't true fans, while the "A" group thinks the "B" people are pollyannas. Of course it's a continuum and there's nuance to consider, but that's the framework.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of crap statements
Bailed out? If KO feels bailed out I would lose a ton of respect in him
You are proud of these guys NOW!!!!!???????
What a DB

Where does your lack of comprehension start? The point is a 1 in a million shot changed our season and overcame bad coaching. My opinion is a fluke shot does not erase all the bad coaching or.change the past.

Yes, proud of them now for pulling through in OT and putting 2 more solid wins together with actual scoring in the last 5 minutes of a game.

Reaction Score
The board minus some posts has been fair. Based on results he knows it hasnt gone well at times but niw KO and the staff are in full tourney mode. This ain't their first rodeo and Coach Calhoun is in the bullpen. They will get the most out of this team that they can. There's no use worrying about it, we know these kids want it bad.

Reaction Score
one missed 62 foot shot and its a different conversation...

ollie does know how to get them to play when it matters

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Fans who critique the team (or on other threads, criticize AB, SG, etc) don't have to get defensive if I say some of our fans are not the best. I probably don't mean you.
There are some people who have no frustration tolerance and act out their being aggravated in a gross fashion. And not just momentarily after a bad loss or too many drinks. My reaction is always to be glad I don't work with them and to feel sorry for their families.
Other fans are just "good-time Charlies" looking to jump on the bandwagon when all is going well and jumping off when it is not. I agree you are not very likely to see that type here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would be incredibly interested to figure out who here is a UConn alum and who isn't; then see the spread of those two populations across columns A and B.

Dunno for sure, but I think you'd find the people who grew up in CT to be some of the most hardcore fans. Especially those that have been watching since the 80s.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's funny he is throwing shade at haters from a position of being bailed out by a miracle 3!

We are proud of these guys now though. Hope for more miracles.

As it has turned out, I don't think Adam's shot had any effect, except possibly regarding seeding. I think we were already in, win or lose vs Cincy. Absolutely no disrespect to Adams...it was the shot of the entire college BB season, considering what we all thought was on the line at that moment, including most notably the team and coaching staff.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We should start a poll:

1) Did you grow up in CT?
2) Are you a UConn Alum?
3) Are you an a$$hat fan?

Reaction Score
Would be interesting study, but my guess is there is not a huge correlation on this board, I think its personality type

Reaction Score
The definition of a fair weather fan is that they stop supporting the team when times are tough. There are some on this board who were ready to turn on KO after the Maryland game. Their attacks on KO became even more vile after every lost. At times I feel like they where almost waiting for loses just to justify their criticism. It doesn't mean their not fans, it just means that they pull their full support when things go wrong. Maybe they don't want to get their heart broken. They are the same people that got off the band wagon in 11 when UCONN lost to Providence and also in 14 when they got lit up by Louisville. The ultimate UCONN fan is Kevin Ollie. He believed in his team when they had nothing to play for, continued to believe in his team even after blow out losses, and he continues to turn down opportunities to coach the greatest players in the world in the NBA so that he can coach the program that he continues to believe in. Fair weather fans don't deserve Kevin Ollie. They should just all go support Duke or Kentucky. That way they will only get their heart broken at the end of the year instead going thru the ups and downs of the team thru out the year. You're either on the wagon or you watching it go by. Go to Kentucky if you can't take the bad times, that way you can always look at your recruiting classes and smile. I'll take the lows that go along with the season because at Uconn they lead to national championships.

Reaction Score
Where does your lack of comprehension start? The point is a 1 in a million shot changed our season and overcame bad coaching. My opinion is a fluke shot does not erase all the bad coaching or.change the past.

Yes, proud of them now for pulling through in OT and putting 2 more solid wins together with actual scoring in the last 5 minutes of a game.

Please be a little more specific regarding the bad coaching. I think Ollie and staff did a good coaching job this season. Think about having to meld the personalities of this roster into a team. I'm sure Miller, Gibbs and Adams were all alpha on their last team. Now add them to our roster and try to mold them into a cohesive unit. It takes time and that may be more important than the X's and O's. Please tell me more about his bad coaching.

Reaction Score
As it has turned out, I don't think Adam's shot had any effect, except possibly regarding seeding. I think we were already in, win or lose vs Cincy. Absolutely no disrespect to Adams...it was the shot of the entire college BB season, considering what we all thought was on the line at that moment, including most notably the team and coaching staff.
We were not getting in if Adams doesn't hit that 60+ footer.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
We should start a poll:

1) Did you grow up in CT?
2) Are you a UConn Alum?
3) Are you an a$$hat fan?

Yes to all of the above. My earliest recollections of Husky hoops are from the early 1960's, when we beat Bill Bradley's Princeton team in the East Regional and then got clobbered by Puke, in a game when their coach Vic Bubas ran the score up against us deliberately. He was still pissed that Fred Shabel left his staff to coach at UCONN the year before. Jeff Mullins was their star player and I think he played 33 of the available 40 minutes, scoring over 30 points. They were ahead 62-27 at HT and won 101-54. It was the genesis of UCONN Nation's abject hatred of the Blue Devils, drop the blue.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
We were not getting in if Adams doesn't hit that 60+ footer.

Then explain how Tulsa is in, after getting creamed in the AAC tourney? They were already in no matter what happened in the AAC tourney. If they were, so were we, Cincinnati and Temple. The tourney may have had some effect on seeding for those four teams, but they were all already in. There's way too much stock put in what all the bracketologists indicate leading up to today. I think all the last four in, first four out stuff involving AAC teams was incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom