Ollie and Basketball IQ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie and Basketball IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Actually many were... The offense was pretty crappy then too; guys just made more tough shots (DHam and Gibbs). The simplistic observation that we scored 70+ against a couple teams equating to our team having strong offensive sets or a high basketball IQ is not accurate. The problems were there then, too. We shouldn't have to count on someone being really hot to overcome extremely poor fundamentals and execution.

Against OSU Omar was hot; 4 for 4 from 3.
Against Texas we had 9 team assists on 27 fg and got to 70 with 6 free throws in the last minute
Against Tulane Gibbs hit three tough 3's and we again added on 6 free throws in the last minute.

Since the Michigan game (first half), our offense has regressed. Part of it is missing Amida as having him in there does open up the threat of the lob. But a lot of it is that we have become totally one-on-one in the half court. The screening is exceedingly poor and the ball stops in certain guys hands. I find it baffling that Shonn Miller does not get the ball more often. In the post, he is efficient and effective (he's shooting over 60%) and when he pops out he knows how to move and reverse the ball quickly. Too often our passing ends up in Purv or DHam's hands and it's a pump fake fest until they decide to drive into traffic. At this point, 4 guys watch 1 go to work. It's awful and neither guy is a good enough finisher in traffic to be completely effective at this.

when we don't play good defense we dont run anything on offense, there have been a handful of games when our offense doesnt move which turns into what we happened last year with boat and before with bazz... we've only had 2 games not getting 70 which at this point last year we would gladly have taken... i agree it has become really stagnant as of late but we have 4 guys averaging over 10 points which is great... to me it starts on the defensive end and we have nothing there that translates to the offensive end... i couldnt agree more about miller, ive been saying all season that he needs to touch the ball every possession on the block... this team doesn't lack skill or coaching, it lacks effort, energy, and confidence... it starts ans ends with defense

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Scoring 70 with the 30 second shot clock and new foul rules is hardly an achievement, especially against the likes of Tulane, Michigan, and Texas.
30 second shot clock is irrelevant, ollie wanted to push the tempo and we have a majority of the season... we barely shoot freethrows (if we do, we dont make them) so the fouls dont really help us... 2 games we didnt get to 70

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
when we don't play good defense we dont run anything on offense, there have been a handful of games when our offense doesnt move which turns into what we happened last year with boat and before with bazz... we've only had 2 games not getting 70 which at this point last year we would gladly have taken... i agree it has become really stagnant as of late but we have 4 guys averaging over 10 points which is great... to me it starts on the defensive end and we have nothing there that translates to the offensive end... i couldnt agree more about miller, ive been saying all season that he needs to touch the ball every possession on the block... this team doesn't lack skill or coaching, it lacks effort, energy, and confidence... it starts ans ends with defense

Definitely agree with the defense aspect. We don't really force any turnovers w/ our D (11/gm) so to get transition opportunities we need to rebound and outlet and that is something that we do not do well at all. I think it's safe to say that for like the 6th or 7th straight year, the UConn head coach promise of getting back to running is yet again, coachspeak. Oh well. There's always next year.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree with the defense aspect. We don't really force any turnovers w/ our D (11/gm) so to get transition opportunities we need to rebound and outlet and that is something that we do not do well at all. I think it's safe to say that for like the 6th or 7th straight year, the UConn head coach promise of getting back to running is yet again, coachspeak. Oh well. There's always next year.
6 or 7 years? Try about 20. Haven't been runners since KO and Doron drove the bus.

Reaction Score
6 or 7 years? Try about 20. Haven't been runners since KO and Doron drove the bus.

Meant that for the last 6 or 7 years (at least), the head coach of the UConn basketball team has proclaim three truths during the offseason. We are going to get back to being a running team, we will be pressing and using our athleticism more, and that Justin Brown is really improved and could be our starting center.

And I disagree wholeheartedly that we weren't a running team when Khalid, Taliek, Marcus, and to a lesser extent AJ were running the show. We were absolutely devastating in transition with those teams. Hell, in 04 we ran a Georgia Tech team out of the building with our transition game.

Reaction Score
Meant that for the last 6 or 7 years (at least), the head coach of the UConn basketball team has proclaim three truths during the offseason. We are going to get back to being a running team, we will be pressing and using our athleticism more, and that Justin Brown is really improved and could be our starting center.

And I disagree wholeheartedly that we weren't a running team when Khalid, Taliek, Marcus, and to a lesser extent AJ were running the show. We were absolutely devastating in transition with those teams. Hell, in 04 we ran a Georgia Tech team out of the building with our transition game.

Have to rebound #1 and then you have to have people who can throw a pass, an outlet pass with zip. We hand the ball off because our bigs can't pass and that kills the running game. And those guards you mention above were great at head up and being able to throw the 50-60 foot pass off a short outlet to a cutting Husky up court. Those are gifts for kids, but we didn't get those gifts for Christmas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
30 second shot clock is irrelevant, ollie wanted to push the tempo and we have a majority of the season... we barely shoot freethrows (if we do, we dont make them) so the fouls dont really help us... 2 games we didnt get to 70

The change in the shot is clock mildly relevant as it can result in more possessions per game, which in turn should increase scoring.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

2009 was definitely not a running team. With Adrien and Thabeet down low, that was inevitable. You have some athletic bigs who can really run the floor. Thabeet, Stanley, JA weren't exactly a gifted passers. AJ didn't exactly have his legs at the end either. Being a running team doesn't mean you don't have any fast breaks, it's more of a team 'identity' thing.

Reaction Score
2009 was definitely not a running team. With Adrien and Thabeet down low, that was inevitable. You have some athletic bigs who can really run the floor. Thabeet, Stanley, JA weren't exactly a gifted passers. AJ didn't exactly have his legs at the end either. Being a running team doesn't mean you don't have any fast breaks, it's more of a team 'identity' thing.

We might not have "run" a la Doron to Donny long passes off makes, but that team absolutely got that ball up the court quickly and could be deadly in a secondary break. At it's best, AJ, had two of our most athletic players ever in Sticks and Dyson to work with. That team scored almost 80 points game and I remember a good deal of them being on the break or on the secondary break. Having Thabeet back there also allowed our guys to gamble defensively and get steals. Watch the UConn-Marquette game. It was an up and down game most of the way; 93-82 if I remember right, and the announcers spoke all game about the breakneck pace. Today our pace makes me just want to break my neck.

H

huskymagic

This thread is absolutely relevant to what I have been saying about Ollie's coaching style and his players. The players are soft as tissue paper and a reflection of their coach who is soft emotionally with them. Ollie treats his players like they are his friends and that is a huge part of the problem. The players need to know who is boss, and if you are playing terrible or make a boneheaded play, you need to get the YANK starting with Hamilton and down the line. He needs to man up and compose himself better on the sidelines. Stop with that awful whiney face and get mean and serious out there. These players have no heart, no desire, no guts, no sense of pride of playing for UCONN. These performances are becoming routine for Ollie and its sad when Tulsa has better guards than we do, and they do in Woodard and Shaq Harrison. This is compounded by the fact we have a bunch of role players on this team and no leader. I have always stated that Brimah is one of our 2 most talented players on this team and the most impactful player on this team. He is absolutely the most important player on this team as he not only a great shot blocker and intimidator but opens thins up for Hamilton and others on the perimeter. Anybody who denies Brimah's importance to this team on both offense and defense is a lunatic aka mauconn lol.

Reaction Score
This thread is absolutely relevant to what I have been saying about Ollie's coaching style and his players. The players are soft as tissue paper and a reflection of their coach who is soft emotionally with them. Ollie treats his players like they are his friends and that is a huge part of the problem. The players need to know who is boss, and if you are playing terrible or make a boneheaded play, you need to get the YANK starting with Hamilton and down the line. He needs to man up and compose himself better on the sidelines. Stop with that awful whiney face and get mean and serious out there. These players have no heart, no desire, no guts, no sense of pride of playing for UCONN. These performances are becoming routine for Ollie and its sad when Tulsa has better guards than we do, and they do in Woodard and Shaq Harrison. This is compounded by the fact we have a bunch of role players on this team and no leader. I have always stated that Brimah is one of our 2 most talented players on this team and the most impactful player on this team. He is absolutely the most important player on this team as he not only a great shot blocker and intimidator but opens thins up for Hamilton and others on the perimeter. Anybody who denies Brimah's importance to this team on both offense and defense is a lunatic aka mauconn lol.

Can't believe I ever questioned you!

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
Look no further than his posts in that thread for proof that huskymagic is among the bigger morons on this board.

I found this little taid bit written by some guy named Hoophound in there:

"I skipped reading this whole thread. Shabazz is one of the best players we've had. I saw him play at URI several years ago in a holiday prep tourney and said repeatedly that he was our answer at PG. I was thrilled when JC got him and I've never regretted it. Shabazz is a warrior. He is untouchable after last season."

Smart guy. I hear he's extremely handsome as well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I found this little taid bit written by some guy named Hoophound in there:

"I skipped reading this whole thread. Shabazz is one of the best players we've had. I saw him play at URI several years ago in a holiday prep tourney and said repeatedly that he was our answer at PG. I was thrilled when JC got him and I've never regretted it. Shabazz is a warrior. He is untouchable after last season."

Smart guy. I hear he's extremely handsome as well.

....according to his mother.

Reaction Score

Yeah, there have been games where we did, but overall we didn't press and/or run that much. Much more half-court focus because everyone we played knew they couldn't run with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom