Ollie and Basketball IQ | The Boneyard

Ollie and Basketball IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

It is more than clear now that Ollie benefited from Calhoun's recruits namely Napier, Boat, Daniels, and Giffey. The recruits that Ollie is getting have all been one dimensional players who worst lack basketball iq and awareness. You can't teach fundamentals and intangibles. Miller is the only one right now who is playing like a UCONN level player. Again I will reiterate that our main problem is on offense namely executing plays. Gibbs is not a point guard like I have repeatedly warned. His lack of speed, breakdown ability, finishing ability, is a major problem. Until Adams starts and is encouraged to lead this team will struggle and most likely will not make the tournament. Ollie thinks he's coaching in the NBA with his substitution patterns. Phil Nolan and Cassell should never play in these type of games. Ollie needs to get tough and serious with holding players accountable. You make a terrible play or don't dive for a loose ball next to you, you need to be on the bench and get an earful from the head coach. No exceptions. Next game starting lineup should be Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, miller and Enoch.

pj

Reaction Score
Ollie is getting great recruits, but they are young (Jalen Adams) or not here yet (Alterique Gilbert). This year's class is very promising, every one. You can say that Ollie is a great recruiting success or that the jury is out, but you cannot say he has failed.

Reaction Score
It is more than clear now that Ollie benefited from Calhoun's recruits namely Napier, Boat, Daniels, and Giffey. The recruits that Ollie is getting have all been one dimensional players who worst lack basketball iq and awareness. You can't teach fundamentals and intangibles. Miller is the only one right now who is playing like a UCONN level player. Again I will reiterate that our main problem is on offense namely executing plays. Gibbs is not a point guard like I have repeatedly warned. His lack of speed, breakdown ability, finishing ability, is a major problem. Until Adams starts and is encouraged to lead this team will struggle and most likely will not make the tournament. Ollie thinks he's coaching in the NBA with his substitution patterns. Phil Nolan and Cassell should never play in these type of games. Ollie needs to get tough and serious with holding players accountable. You make a terrible play or don't dive for a loose ball next to you, you need to be on the bench and get an earful from the head coach. No exceptions. Next game starting lineup should be Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, miller and Enoch.

I agree with you about Adams and thats about it. I think KO may have a loyalty "problem" but not a basketball iq problem. I think he recruited Gibbs to play pg for the year and that's what he's going to do.

Reaction Score
The players KO recruited are all great kids but lack toughness (possible exception Adams). The good news is Mamadou and Alterique look mean as hell, and won't get pushed around like we did last night.

Reaction Score
Enoch is clueless defensively. Thats why he is never in there in crunch time. Nolan actually has good defensive principles even though he is nonexistent offensively. Enoch has great potential and Ollie is rewarding his hard work in practice with game experience but Enoch should never be in there when the game is on the line. He is too much of a liability on the defensive end. Still don't understand the majority of posters who completely ignore Facey's contributions. He still has room to grow but he has been great at giving energy, playing hard, rebounding and coming up with some defensive plays.

Agreed Adams needs to start being the lead PG. I have a feeling that change will be coming in the near future. Gibbs doesn't get the offense going and tends to dribble too much instead of getting the ball moving or penetrating to open up slashers or guys on the perimeter. Gibbs does have a vital part on the team but he just isnt the PG that this team needs to get the offense going.

Hamilton just has that laid back persona but you can tell he has a fire in his belly that comes out every now and then. Last night was tough to watch but just about every player his age is going to have games where they have an off game and it starts to impact the rest of their performance in that game. He has to learn from last night and realize he has to be more focused and trust his training and hard work get him through rough shooting nights.

This team is still talented and potential but they are still trying to figure out their identities and roles. Hopefully they hash things out very soon becuase they cant afford many more losses.

Reaction Score
Method is on it. Love Enoch and he deserves time but his defense is slow to react and not ready yet, but he will get it. Young bigs have trouble with that, look at Ab and KF still not great in the understanding of defense overall.

Agree it's time for Adams to see more time whether starting or not, but he can help make everyone better being the lead guy. Gibbs is what he is as a lead guard, ok. Better off the ball and ready to shoot.

By the way crappy title magic, you can do better

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One thing that concerned me was something I heard on WTIC Monday evening. Joe D said he was at UConn that day and was talking to Purvis and Hamilton about the Tulane game. He said that they were encouraged by the fact that they could blow a 19 point lead and still have the toughness to win the game. "Overcoming adversity?" It disturbed me somewhat when I heard that. I think it should have been emphasized that blowing a 19 point lead is unacceptable and not that they showed toughness by hanging on.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One thing that concerned me was something I heard on WTIC Monday evening. Joe D said he was at UConn that day and was talking to Purvis and Hamilton about the Tulane game. He said that they were encouraged by the fact that they could blow a 19 point lead and still have the toughness to win the game. "Overcoming adversity?" It disturbed me somewhat when I heard that. I think it should have been emphasized that blowing a 19 point lead is unacceptable and not that they showed toughness by hanging on.

Depends on the question. If Joe D asked "what positives you can take away from the Tulane game?" Then that's an answer you should expect to get. Context is everything.

Reaction Score
Enoch is clueless defensively. Thats why he is never in there in crunch time. Nolan actually has good defensive principles even though he is nonexistent offensively. Enoch has great potential and Ollie is rewarding his hard work in practice with game experience but Enoch should never be in there when the game is on the line. He is too much of a liability on the defensive end. Still don't understand the majority of posters who completely ignore Facey's contributions. He still has room to grow but he has been great at giving energy, playing hard, rebounding and coming up with some defensive plays.

Agreed Adams needs to start being the lead PG. I have a feeling that change will be coming in the near future. Gibbs doesn't get the offense going and tends to dribble too much instead of getting the ball moving or penetrating to open up slashers or guys on the perimeter. Gibbs does have a vital part on the team but he just isnt the PG that this team needs to get the offense going.

Hamilton just has that laid back persona but you can tell he has a fire in his belly that comes out every now and then. Last night was tough to watch but just about every player his age is going to have games where they have an off game and it starts to impact the rest of their performance in that game. He has to learn from last night and realize he has to be more focused and trust his training and hard work get him through rough shooting nights.

This team is still talented and potential but they are still trying to figure out their identities and roles. Hopefully they hash things out very soon becuase they cant afford many more losses.
Enoch is only 18 and has terrific potential. He needs time and when he matures we will have a special player.

Reaction Score
Method is on it. Love Enoch and he deserves time but his defense is slow to react and not ready yet, but he will get it. Young bigs have trouble with that, look at Ab and KF still not great in the understanding of defense overall.

Agree it's time for Adams to see more time whether starting or not, but he can help make everyone better being the lead guy. Gibbs is what he is as a lead guard, ok. Better off the ball and ready to shoot.

Magic can't do better.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Its actually kind of sad watching us try to run an offense. James Naismith must be crying in his grave.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
kevin is learning the ropes, he's a work in progress

JC's kids gave him a magnificent start, hard to maintain that start

H

huskymagic

Look no further than his posts in that thread for proof that huskymagic is among the bigger morons on this board.

Cracken I am the greatest motivator on the boneyard that part is true.

H

huskymagic

Your right I could do better mauconn. I was thinking of going with: A Tale of Two Cities: Ollie Past and Present, but cynicism won out in the end.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
kevin is learning the ropes, he's a work in progress

JC's kids gave him a magnificent start, hard to maintain that start
agreed, he has had 20 wins in each of his seasons here and would have had two ncaa appearances if it wasnt for the ncaa ban... he also has a NC when everyone wrote us off... he is in his, what 4th? year coaching and is still learning but is still doing a great job... he will adapt, he needs to get the defense down that's the biggest thing this year (who knows, maybe all the seniors, grads, purvis, hamilton are thinking about other things) I think in two years when we have gilbert, adams (if he stays), vance, mammadou, enoch, durham, larrier etc you'll see the true team ollie wants

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Your right I could do better mauconn. I was thinking of going with: A Tale of Two Cities: Ollie Past and Present, but cynicism won out in the end.
I think you may be referring to " A Christmas Carol."

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
nobody was complaining when we were putting up 70+
Scoring 70 with the 30 second shot clock and new foul rules is hardly an achievement, especially against the likes of Tulane, Michigan, and Texas.

Reaction Score
nobody was complaining when we were putting up 70+

Actually many were... The offense was pretty crappy then too; guys just made more tough shots (DHam and Gibbs). The simplistic observation that we scored 70+ against a couple teams equating to our team having strong offensive sets or a high basketball IQ is not accurate. The problems were there then, too. We shouldn't have to count on someone being really hot to overcome extremely poor fundamentals and execution.

Against OSU Omar was hot; 4 for 4 from 3.
Against Texas we had 9 team assists on 27 fg and got to 70 with 6 free throws in the last minute
Against Tulane Gibbs hit three tough 3's and we again added on 6 free throws in the last minute.

Since the Michigan game (first half), our offense has regressed. Part of it is missing Amida as having him in there does open up the threat of the lob. But a lot of it is that we have become totally one-on-one in the half court. The screening is exceedingly poor and the ball stops in certain guys hands. I find it baffling that Shonn Miller does not get the ball more often. In the post, he is efficient and effective (he's shooting over 60%) and when he pops out he knows how to move and reverse the ball quickly. Too often our passing ends up in Purv or DHam's hands and it's a pump fake fest until they decide to drive into traffic. At this point, 4 guys watch 1 go to work. It's awful and neither guy is a good enough finisher in traffic to be completely effective at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom