OLIVIA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OLIVIA

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“She knows she’s not strong enough yet,” Auriemma said. “She knows there’s some things she’s going to have to do. But her willingness and aggressiveness in the course of the past two games has been what’s stood out… We try to get our freshmen to understand that you’ve got to go hard, and you’ve got to compete and finish around the basket. This kid’s going to be something else because she’s got all the other attributes. I’m excited for the last two games and anxious to see her play.”

Five takeaways from UConn women's win over St. Louis including Nelson-Ododa's confidence growing

Reaction Score
If she could develop the hook shot Stewie learned and mastered while at UConn, her offensive efficiency will dramatically increase. Next summer should prove to be very telling for her... Go Huskies!
Exactly. If I were her, I'd find a way to spend a couple days with Stewart during her off season and learn that jump hook with both hands. No other big post in the country that I've seen has it to both sides and at 6-5 it's unstoppable. With her coordination it wouldn't take long at all.

Reaction Score
Liv is really tall and long, she looked taller then 42 Brooke Flowers who is listed at 6’5, Liv looks 6’6 to me. Right now her game reminds me of Jessica Moore/ Kiah Stokes, I see National defense of player of the year in her future and she could win the award four times in AAC this year if her rebounding and shot blocking is consistent.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We must hope that she is one of those people who is able to add mass and muscle while maintaining her skills. Not everyone can do that. Without more strength, she will not become an impact player.

Olivia's body type may not lend itself to adding mass. She can become stronger without becoming bigger. Stewie was/ is thin. She gained strength without body mass.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Olivia's ceiling is very high...watching her progress is going to be a lot of fun!

I hate to be choosy when it come to our girls, I must confess something here. I'm becoming increasingly fond of our two freshmen. How can you not find Christyn charming and folksy with her "okie-doakey" persona? They're growing on me, and I don't think I'm alone here. I've read all of the criticism and concerns about Liv. I maintain she'll be fine. She's only 7 games (105 minutes on the floor) into her college career. Her minutes add up to less than 3-40 minute games. All of this is new to her, she'll adjust. Rome was not built in a day. Give her time. She's improving and getting better with every game. March is still a long way off.

Has anyone else noticed how Christyn has no trouble getting Liv the ball on the block? That dynamic will pay huge dividends down the road. Like Napheesa, she has already perfected the technique of wedging her man on her hip as she calls for the ball, and she does call for the ball on offense. They may not give it to her, but she does call for it. I like that!!! She's being aggressive. Something you know all of the coaches have told her she needs to be. She's not going to make a play every time down the court, nobody does. But she does make her presence known much of the time with a block or a much needed rebound. There will continue to be times she looks great, and times when she looks like the freshman she is. The more minutes she gets, the less she'll look like a freshman. The game WILL come to her (and slow down) in her own time.

I'm really going to enjoy watching them play the next 4 years. I already enjoying watching her and Dangerous play together. You can tell Crystal has arrived. She's making it look easy. She's running the entire show, and appears to be able to get anything she wants, anytime she wants. That's got to be scary as hell for their opponents. I love it!!! heh heh heh. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of the best things to come out of Olivia's game is that she had 12 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks AND no personal fouls!

She got into foul trouble pretty quick with ND and has had problems with that in earlier games. Can't just look at the results from 1 game and say "problem solved", but it's certainly nice to see her trending that way (to less fouls)...

I don't know how high her ceiling is, but as with Christyn, she is fast becoming a fan favorite and we are so blessed to be able to enjoy watching them grow and mature for the next 3.5 years!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the best things to come out of Olivia's game is that she had 12 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks AND no personal fouls!

She got into foul trouble pretty quick with ND and has had problems with that in earlier games. Can't just look at the results from 1 game and say "problem solved", but it's certainly nice to see her trending that way (to less fouls)...

I don't know how high her ceiling is, but as with Christyn, she is fast becoming a fan favorite and we are so blessed to be able to enjoy watching them grow and mature for the next 3.5 years!

Collier is a senior and still gets into early foul trouble like she did against ND, and she's a senior. How many times did Gabby get caught with her hand in the cookie jar in the first half last year? It happens. Some players lose focus and start reaching and grabbing, while others are able to maintain their discipline and composure and play without fouling. Asia Durr (Louisville) is good about not fouling. So was Moriah Jefferson, or was she so fast that she could foul and the refs didn't see it? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
These recent days have been great. Winning at ND in the fashion we did and finally having people notice AO's dirty play (after other games besides UCONN) and now with Muffet getting skewered on twitter just kind of blowing up. Our freshman are growing before our eyes and couldn't be greater examples of the UCONN way and the way they are taught to play and act. So proud of the UCONN program. This after a little disappoint from the recruiting misses.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Collier is a senior and still gets into early foul trouble like she did against ND, and she's a senior. How many time did Gabby get caught with her hand in the cookie jar in the first half last year? It happens. Some players loose focus and start reaching and grabbing, while others are able to maintain their discipline and play without fouling. Asia Durr (Louisville) is good about not fouling. So was Moriah Jefferson, or was she so fast that she could foul and the refs didn't see it? :eek:
I think Mo Jeff was a master of sleight of hand. Possibly the fastest player I’ve seen.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Exactly. If I were her, I'd find a way to spend a couple days with Stewart during her off season and learn that jump hook with both hands. No other big post in the country that I've seen has it to both sides and at 6-5 it's unstoppable. With her coordination it wouldn't take long at all.
One thing for sure, Stewie won't be busy reading Muffet's tweets. So she might be able to help ONO.

Reaction Score
Olivia has the same build as Natasha Howard. I don't think Natasha has a strength problem. Perhaps, Stewie could arrange for Natasha to work with Olivia.

If only Olivia could dunk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom