Olivia Ododa-Nelson | The Boneyard

Olivia Ododa-Nelson

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The article in the Hartford Courant today, confirmed what I and some others on the BY have been saying. Olivia will get a lot of playing time. With that news, I feel she will be the first off the bench, and UConn's 6th man. May someone please post the article for me. It was a very nice article.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here's a bit on ONO from Carl Adamec.

“This is the most I’ve ever run before in my life,” Nelson-Ododa said with a smile.

Welcome to UConn.

“It’s such a quicker pace than anything I’ve been used to,” Nelson-Ododa said. “The college pace is high speed, uptempo, and you have to think really quickly.

“One thing I think I’ve improved on is the way that I see the court,” Nelson-Ododa said. “Then there are all the little details that Coach Auriemma is always picking on. He always emphasizes the little things.

“The upperclassmen tell me to keep working hard and don’t be afraid to make a mistake. It’s definitely harder than I thought, but I knew that it would be difficult and that’s why I’m here.”

UConn freshman Nelson-Ododa on faster track in Storrs

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score

“This is the most I’ve ever run before in my life,” Nelson-Ododa said with a smile.

Welcome to UConn.

“It’s such a quicker pace than anything I’ve been used to,” Nelson-Ododa said. “The college pace is high speed, uptempo, and you have to think really quickly.

“One thing I think I’ve improved on is the way that I see the court,” Nelson-Ododa said. “Then there are all the little details that Coach Auriemma is always picking on. He always emphasizes the little things.

“The upperclassmen tell me to keep working hard and don’t be afraid to make a mistake. It’s definitely harder than I thought, but I knew that it would be difficult and that’s why I’m here.”

This isn't the one, I was talking about. This is a nice article too. The one I was referencing is also talking about Christyn. It was posted by the Hartford Courant about 4hrs. ago. Thank you so much for sharing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here's the Courant article which I didn't think had a lot of new information or quotes.

With less than a week of practice under their belts, the pair were already garnering praise from their teammates and Auriemma. Williams, especially, has been a standout early on. The freshman guard has exhibited a wealth of confidence and aggression that fits Auriemma’s style perfectly, and she’s proven to be a pleasant surprise for a team that’s looking to replace three key players.

Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa give UConn women a brash, high-flying freshmen class

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here's the Courant article which I didn't think had a lot of new information or quotes.

With less than a week of practice under their belts, the pair were already garnering praise from their teammates and Auriemma. Williams, especially, has been a standout early on. The freshman guard has exhibited a wealth of confidence and aggression that fits Auriemma’s style perfectly, and she’s proven to be a pleasant surprise for a team that’s looking to replace three key players.

Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa give UConn women a brash, high-flying freshmen class

Thank you!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Welcome to UConn.

Before we go too much further want to pat you on the back again for being the first to spot ONO. To Paraphrase:
"UCONN needs to get in on the recruiting of Olivia immediately. For the things that UCONN likes to do she is the perfect fit". That was you more than two full years ago. Well Done!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Measured optimism from Lou

“Olivia is learning to play at the pace Coach wants,” senior All-American Katie Lou Samuelson said. “For freshmen, it’s always a struggle to get things quickly and have an impact. But I like what I have seen so far. I’m going to continue to support them to get them through to the point they can help our team as much as they can.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Before we go too much further want to pat you on the back again for being the first to spot ONO. To Paraphrase:
"UCONN needs to get in on the recruiting of Olivia immediately. For the things that UCONN like to do she is the perfect fit". That was you more than two full years ago. Well Done!

Wasn't hard to spot her talent, or to hear all the accolades she was getting while trying out for the U17 team. But I'll take the pat anyway!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's something how players who commit to UConn say they knew the practices would be hard, have heard they will be hard, but when they get there, almost to a player, they say they did not think it would be as hard as it actually is. UConn's practices must be very unique and very hard. They are also very productive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In my honest opinion I believe she will be better than Azura. I say that respectfully.
Said something similar last year, that ONO would push Azura for minutes as a Freshmen. One of Azura's struggles was she was not an instinctive mover and had to be taught to constantly move. ONO is exactly the opposite she moves instinctively to get a better angle, position etc both defensively and offensively. That kind of constant movement is perfect for the UCONN offense and a pain in the behind to defend.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Said something similar last year, that ONO would push Azura for minutes as a Freshmen. One of Azura's struggles was she was not an instinctive mover and had to be taught to constantly move. ONO is exactly the opposite she moves instinctively to get a better angle, position etc both defensively and offensively. That kind of constant movement is perfect for the UCONN offense and a pain in the behind to defend.
What you've said is spot on CC. Liv's talents to me are indisputable: Size, good speed, athleticism, good form on her shot, good handle etc. However, if indeed Liv wants to play a motion game at UConn she's going to have to up her fitness level big time. I noted during the Cup games that Liv spent a lot of time between plays huffing and puffing with her hands on her hips. This will markedly improve of course. But to be as effective and contribute as much as Z did during her (sadly) one year at UConn we would see that improvement toward the end of the season, not at the beginning.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The article in the Hartford Courant today, confirmed what I and some others on the BY have been saying. Olivia will get a lot of playing time. With that news, I feel she will be the first off the bench, and UConn's 6th man. May someone please post the article for me. It was a very nice article.
First off the bench...AND the 6th man? Is that possible?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Shorty Dee stated they think Olivia will be the first off the bench AND UCONN's 6th man. I'm having fun with that.

You must think they're two separate things. :O
After reading again I realize why you are having fun with that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In my honest opinion I believe she will be better than Azura. I say that respectfully.

I hope you have a little "Carnac" in you. :D She has a chance to be better. She'll be under the tut-ledge of Geno for 4 years. Azura only had him for 2. Stevens was conflicted some what because during her time at Duke and UConn, she was asked to do different things in totally different systems. The expectations she'll have at UConn I believe will also be greater than those Stevens had at Duke. Having to sit out a year because of NCAA transfer rules didn't help Azura's overall development either. :cool:

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Olivia & Mikayla would be my two bets to give MW & CW breathers. Our 3 stars won’t come out unless foul trouble or game has been decided. There would be too much of a drop & we saw how Geno is even with a top 10 pick like Azura. If you think he was strict with her mins imagine how he will be with who we have this year!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
& we saw how Geno is even with a top 10 pick like Azura. If you think he was strict with her mins imagine how he will be with who we have this year!

I think Geno was trying to mold her, not expecting her to bolt after one year. I'm not sure he'll have the luxury of restricting minutes as tight unless a few of the bench players really surprise and step up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom