Olivia Nelson-Ododa stay focused! | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa stay focused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have not seen a UConn women's basketball player that has gone through so much with her own personal game and the expectations of the fan base than Oliva. I hope next year she has a great year, be the MVP of the NCAA Tournament Women's National championship game and when the final horn sounds of the game she kicks the ball into the stands! I pray she does well!
Olivia Nelson-Ododa4.jpg

Reaction Score
I have not seen a UConn women's basketball player that has gone through so much with her own personal game and the expectations of the fan base than Oliva. I hope next year she has a great year, be the MVP of the NCAA Tournament Women's National championship game and when the final horn sounds of the game she kicks the ball into the stands! I pray she does well!
View attachment 66583
I would be happy with a few made layups.!!

Reaction Score
She was rated #5 overall in her high school class. IMO, it’s hard to remember a more-underperforming “big” at UConn.
Shw was horrible last night. But she has had good games. Don't judge her on one performance.

Reaction Score
Nelson-Ododa shot under .500 just twice during conference play, both times were against Marquette when she was 2-5 and 4-9. She also had a 5-14 outing against UMass Lowell in the season opener.

There is not a lot of great post play or tall post players in the Big East. Many if the notable players are guards/wings like Selena Lott, Espinoza-Hunter, Park-Lane, Sonya Morris, Lexi Held, Leilani Correa, etc.

Aside from her nice game against Syracuse, she has not been able to score or shoot the ball well against better competition:
  • 2-7 against Tennessee
  • 1-2 against Arkansas
  • 3-10 against South Carolina
  • 2-6 against Iowa
  • 1-3 against Baylor
  • 0-7 against Arizona

Arizona and Arkansas do not have a lot of height inside, and Czinano is not necessarily a great post defender.

She does do a lot of things well (defense, rebounding, passing), but her inability to convert layups in non-conference games is something that should not be an issue at this point. Especially in games like Arkansas and Arizona that aren’t known for their post play.

Reaction Score
ONO got a lot going for her on defense (aside then some silly fouls) but if she wants a future in the WNBA she MUST get on a serious weight lifting program during the summer. She is just physically to weak to battle aggressive posts and probably a big reason why she misses those lay-ups.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ONO got a lot going for her on defense (aside then some silly fouls) but if she wants a future in the WNBA she MUST get on a serious weight lifting program during the summer. She is just physically to weak to battle aggressive posts and probably a big reason why she misses those lay-ups.
Since this is her last year before the WNBA , I really do not see her physical strength making a big jump. Therefore, She needs to continue on her path of getting her range out to 18 feet, be able to drive facing the basket, perfect her fadeaway, run to the rim like Aaliyah and maybe develop some hook shot. This is what Breanna had to do to compensate for a slight frame. Getting her 3 point shot is beyond hope.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Since this is her last year before the WNBA , I really do not see her physical strength making a big jump. Therefore, She needs to continue on her path of getting her range out to 18 feet, be able to drive facing the basket, perfect her fadeaway, run to the rim like Aaliyah and maybe develop some hook shot. This is what Breanna had to do to compensate for a slight frame. Getting her 3 point shot is beyond hope.
6'5" kids shouldn't be fading away. She needs to improve her jumper and also perfect quick moves with either hand. I would have her watch tapes of Kevin McHale to learn some of his moves. With her footwork, she could become very accomplished.

Reaction Score
Yes, Ono has a great defensive impact on this team. When Edwards is on the court in low post position we have been most effective. Because Ono doesn't shoot well from the key, the defense can pack in the hoop. Her shooting technique is flawed, look at the clothes line foul shots she shoots. In her three years at UConn this hasn't been address nor her tendency to undershoot layups. They are called layups with an open palm, not jamdowns. Don't know if touch can be taught? Can it? She still is a difference maker in many games and a serious plus for the team. Her effort and desire are strong. She has changed her game a lot this year to accommodate Edwards and driving guards, it may take a virus free fall to see a major improvement in her game but the potential is there.

Reaction Score
Olivia is my favorite player on UConn .. and she's had some gr8 performances during this past season like 24 points in 22 minutes against someone decent .. she has also excelled at playing the high post, passing, rebounding and especially shot-blocking .. but no one was more disappointed than me in her performance against Arizona .. an incomprehensible enigma .. I feel SO sorry for her, my favorite ...

Reaction Score
Yes, Ono has a great defensive impact on this team. When Edwards is on the court in low post position we have been most effective. Because Ono doesn't shoot well from the key, the defense can pack in the hoop. Her shooting technique is flawed, look at the clothes line foul shots she shoots. In her three years at UConn this hasn't been address nor her tendency to undershoot layups. They are called layups with an open palm, not jamdowns. Don't know if touch can be taught? Can it? She still is a difference maker in many games and a serious plus for the team. Her effort and desire are strong. She has changed her game a lot this year to accommodate Edwards and driving guards, it may take a virus free fall to see a major improvement in her game but the potential is there.
None of my old coaches thought you could teach toughness, and I would agree after years of coaching girls and boys - it seems to be innate trait.

Reaction Score
Nelson-Ododa shot under .500 just twice during conference play, both times were against Marquette when she was 2-5 and 4-9. She also had a 5-14 outing against UMass Lowell in the season opener.

There is not a lot of great post play or tall post players in the Big East. Many if the notable players are guards/wings like Selena Lott, Espinoza-Hunter, Park-Lane, Sonya Morris, Lexi Held, Leilani Correa, etc.

Aside from her nice game against Syracuse, she has not been able to score or shoot the ball well against better competition:
  • 2-7 against Tennessee
  • 1-2 against Arkansas
  • 3-10 against South Carolina
  • 2-6 against Iowa
  • 1-3 against Baylor
  • 0-7 against Arizona

Arizona and Arkansas do not have a lot of height inside, and Czinano is not necessarily a great post defender.

She does do a lot of things well (defense, rebounding, passing), but her inability to convert layups in non-conference games is something that should not be an issue at this point. Especially in games like Arkansas and Arizona that aren’t known for their post play.
Her form is poor. She shoots a line drive and holds the ball over her head. Why don't the coaching staff work on that with her.??

Reaction Score
6'5" kids shouldn't be fading away. She needs to improve her jumper and also perfect quick moves with either hand. I would have her watch tapes of Kevin McHale to learn some of his moves. With her footwork, she could become very accomplished.
Soft layup hook a must get fouled move. Dolson, Stewie Had it and Tina
somewhat, Diana also. I love this kid but she really was the difference in us winning a close one.

Reaction Score
One observation, Olivia doesn't have the strength to succeed in the low post against anyone but inferior (Big East) competition. She prefers the high post, like Stef, but doesn't have the shot to keep the defense honest when at the high post. That leads to challenges against top-tier teams. Her defense and rebounding is strong, but offensively, that has led to her struggles against top-tier teams. (IMO)

Reaction Score
One observation, Olivia doesn't have the strength to succeed in the low post against anyone but inferior (Big East) competition. She prefers the high post, like Stef, but doesn't have the shot to keep the defense honest when at the high post. That leads to challenges against top-tier teams. Her defense and rebounding is strong, but offensively, that has led to her struggles against top-tier teams. (IMO)
Stef was able to keep the ball above her head when shooting layups and put backs. It reduces time for defenders to react and reduces chances of getting blocked. Many BYers have already said this but she brings the ball too low and then up for her shots around the rim.

Reaction Score
Line drive foul shots, it’s amazing she makes any.
Liv is shooting 60% from the charity stripe, not much worse than Aaliyah and CW who are also in the 60s, eh?

Reaction Score
I think she's made progress every year, on defense, rebounding, shot blocking and passing.............my hope is she puts it all together with an improved outside shot and finishing strong in the paint in her senior season..............BTW there aren't many top tier basketball coaches that wouldn't like having her on their team....

Reaction Score
Liv is shooting 60% from the charity stripe, not much worse than Aaliyah and CW who are also in the 60s, eh?
AE really improved from the foul line during the course of the season..........I expect she will be a .750 plus foul shooter before long......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom