Olivia Nelson-Ododa stay focused! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa stay focused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While ONO may continue to develop, likely some of her and all the bigs increase in performance will come from Geno and the coaches. While ignored in some of the posts, with ONO and Edwards, we already have one of the best defenses in the country. While I respect Boston and some other opposition post players, unlike past years, there is no team I fear due to their size. With more experience, UConn's defense could be scary next year.

This year, our bigs had to fight to get position down low on offense. Within our league, they looked unstoppable but against the top teams, not so much. Next year, I predict Geno will run more picks to get them open or isolated on smaller players. While like most I cringe at some of the lay ups ONO misses, we have some of the best shooters in the US and don't need a bulked up, high scoring ONO to win it all.
One would think however, that with all the connections and acquaintances that Geno has, he would bring someone, Tina, Kevin McHale, Stef, Stewie, Tim Duncan etc in for a day or two to work with Liv. While I do tend to think Liv may have issues with high pressure games, I don’t believe for a second that she is locked in to her present level of performance! Clearly she can at least improve her free throws, foul line jumper, keeping the ball high, finishing while being bumped, and perhaps, develop a hook shot!

Reaction Score
I don't think it's the coaching, everyone can see the line drive, poor form. I think Liv reverts to her default skills under game pressure. She made some great strides last year when Jamelle came in, but I don't know where they went. More strength work, add some weight, the fall away jumper has to go, concentrate on one or two up and under moves, and work them to death until it is automatic.
Sorry to disagree. Her high school and college coaches needed to work with her in her form. As a high school player i shot the ball over my head. I worked on my form for 6 months and i became a much better player. She needs a shooting coach now.!!

Reaction Score
It seen to me this post and many others like it could have been written (probably was) at the conclusion of ONO's Freshman year. This is the conclusion of her Junior year. Candidly I don't think this team should invest another year in ONO hoping she will develop into a reliable post player (starter) to complement the outstanding UCONN perimeter play. A better investment for next year IMO is in the development of Aaliyah Edwards and Amari DeBerry. I'm also getting increasingly annoyed with the references to ONO's WNBA potential or draft stock ( not your post @HopJim ). I honestly don't care about her WNBA potential, I'm interested in what she can do to help UCONN next season.
Agree 100 percent about Ono and I don't see her playing in the WNBA for long or at all. Brink scored inside on Arizona tonight because she was taught to go up strong with a high release. Might of had some guidance from her Godmother's sons Steph & Seth Curry. Edwards and Deberry time and Ono can be there for foul trouble. UConn will not win a NC with her the main post player.

Reaction Score
Agree 100 percent about Ono and I don't see her playing in the WNBA for long or at all. Brink scored inside on Arizona tonight because she was taught to go up strong with a high release. Might of had some guidance from her Godmother's sons Steph & Seth Currys Mom.
I still can't believe ONO just scored 1 point with the height advantage inside. After Stanford game today, my heart is broken again.

Reaction Score
I have several reactions that go in different directions:
  • I think Olivia's scoring failures were the decisive element in UConn's loss of the game. She was 0-for-7 from the field (and I believe every one of those 7 shots was a layup attempt), and 1-for-4 from the line. If she had made 4 of her 7 layup attempts and 3 out of 4 free throws, that would have been 10 more UConn points, which was AZ's margin of victory. Moreover, if she had done that, she would have played more than 21 minutes, and would have been on the floor in the final minutes of the game, which would have further tipped the balance toward UConn.
  • BUT ... if you look at her sitting on the bench, you will see that her physique is VERY developed compared to her freshman year. She is NOT a physically weak post player, even in comparison to other top post players on top teams. If she were not physically strong, she would not have gotten all the contested rebounds that she got this year, including 6 rebounds in the AZ game, and several against Egbo and Smith on Monday night. Her problem last night was nerves on the big stage, aggravated by the fact that UConn trailed in the game and really needed her to perform. It was not physical inability to score through contact. As far as I could see, most of her layup attempts against AZ were essentially uncontested, but she missed them anyway.
  • Geno has acknowledged that she prefers to play at the high post on offense. Until this year, he did not encourage that, since there was no one to scrap in the paint. But with Edwards now on the team and fully capable of the scrapping role, Geno can play Liv at the high post and thereby take advantage of her passing abilities, which are considerable. You should have noticed that on defense, she always plays under the basket where she can't avoid the physical play, and she seems to be doing well as a defensive rebounder even against good competition.
  • I don't think there is anything, other than increasing personal maturity aided by the experience of this setback, to calm her nerves in tight situations where he team is counting on her. So I wouldn't put that on her development list for next year.
  • But I certainly would put improvements on her shooting accuracy, both from 15 feet and on free throws, at the top of her list for summer improvements. If she is going to play in the high post effectively, she needs to make that shot often enough that defenses need to guard it. That should be a reachable summer goal.
If she grows emotionally and fixes her jump shot and her free throw shooting, I think she can be a Top 8 draft choice in next year's draft. I'm fairly optimistic that she will do exactly that.
Once you have bad mechanics in shooting the bb hard to fix once you get to college. An example was Joakim Noah, ever see him shoot a free throw and he was a professional NBA player. How come no one showed him the proper way to shoot. At this point it is ingrained and hard to change and develop .

Reaction Score
  • I think Olivia's scoring failures were the decisive element in UConn's loss of the game. She was 0-for-7 from the field (and I believe every one of those 7 shots was a layup attempt), and 1-for-4 from the line. If she had made 4 of her 7 layup attempts and 3 out of 4 free throws, that would have been 10 more UConn points, which was AZ's margin of victory. Moreover, if she had done that, she would have played more than 21 minutes, and would have been on the floor in the final minutes of the game, which would have further tipped the balance toward UConn.
  • BUT ... if you look at her sitting on the bench, you will see that her physique is VERY developed compared to her freshman year. She is NOT a physically weak post player, even in comparison to other top post players on top teams. If she were not physically strong, she would not have gotten all the contested rebounds that she got this year, including 6 rebounds in the AZ game, and several against Egbo and Smith on Monday night. Her problem last night was nerves on the big stage, aggravated by the fact that UConn trailed in the game and really needed her to perform. It was not physical inability to score through contact. As far as I could see, most of her layup attempts against AZ were essentially uncontested, but she missed them anyway.
  • Geno has acknowledged that she prefers to play at the high post on offense. Until this year, he did not encourage that, since there was no one to scrap in the paint. But with Edwards now on the team and fully capable of the scrapping role, Geno can play Liv at the high post and thereby take advantage of her passing abilities, which are considerable. You should have noticed that on defense, she always plays under the basket where she can't avoid the physical play, and she seems to be doing well as a defensive rebounder even against good competition.
  • I don't think there is anything, other than increasing personal maturity aided by the experience of this setback, to calm her nerves in tight situations where he team is counting on her. So I wouldn't put that on her development list for next year.
  • But I certainly would put improvements on her shooting accuracy, both from 15 feet and on free throws, at the top of her list for summer improvements. If she is going to play in the high post effectively, she needs to make that shot often enough that defenses need to guard it. That should be a reachable summer goal.
If she grows emotionally and fixes her jump shot and her free throw shooting, I think she can be a Top 8 draft choice in next year's draft. I'm fairly optimistic that she will do exactly that.
Unfortunately I’m not as optimistic as you are about her fixing her jumpshot or her foul shooting I believe it’s her form that is the problem and they haven’t fix that yet in three years with the best coaching staff and women’s college basketball I don’t think they’re about to fix it this summer. Maturity may help with the nerves but she’s a long ways from good offensively at 6 ft 5 she has the benefit of height but the raw talent on those shots is not up to par for a number eight picking the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
First...ONO didn't lose this game. The TEAM didn't either. We got BEAT. It happens. If you allow it...a defeat can build as much character and deliver rewards as much or more than a win. And...I'm sure it will. I thought this team went above my expectations. I always felt...they were collectively too inexperienced...not to mention...young. And I have never thought ONO was a true 5...despite her height. I always thought she was a 4. She'll be fine. Why? Because she has never stopped trying despite the criticism and despite being asked to do things she never had to do before. These young people provide us with a lot of joy. Be hopeful and just say thanks. We don't always need to tell them to do something better. They will do that on their own. Thanks, ladies.

Reaction Score
First...ONO didn't lose this game. The TEAM didn't either. We got BEAT. It happens. If you allow it...a defeat can build as much character and deliver rewards as much or more than a win. And...I'm sure it will. I thought this team went above my expectations. I always felt...they were collectively too inexperienced...not to mention...young. And I have never thought ONO was a true 5...despite her height. I always thought she was a 4. She'll be fine. Why? Because she has never stopped trying despite the criticism and despite being asked to do things she never had to do before. These young people provide us with a lot of joy. Be hopeful and just say thanks. We don't always need to tell them to do something better. They will do that on their own. Thanks, ladies.
AMEN!!!!!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Look guys, we all have our opinions about how we lost, but as the thread acknowledges, the post, specifically ONO, is a real cause to be concerned. I have one opinion of how we can try to avoid this problem. The top priority in July and August would a plan to develop Amari. She is our only other option, and if she could develop like Alya did this year, we may have something with the three of them going into the tournament. This could be big for us, so Geno has to experiment when we meet SC this year, cause I'm sure we will see Boston again in the tournament.

Reaction Score
It seen to me this post and many others like it could have been written (probably was) at the conclusion of ONO's Freshman year. This is the conclusion of her Junior year. Candidly I don't think this team should invest another year in ONO hoping she will develop into a reliable post player (starter) to complement the outstanding UCONN perimeter play. A better investment for next year IMO is in the development of Aaliyah Edwards and Amari DeBerry. I'm also getting increasingly annoyed with the references to ONO's WNBA potential or draft stock ( not your post @HopJim ). I honestly don't care about her WNBA potential, I'm interested in what she can do to help UCONN next season.
Sadly, Coco, although I am a big Liv fan, I have to agree with your commentary... And even sadder, I feel that Geno's mindset is aligned with yours... Liv has not demonstrated consistency that Geno expects from upperclassmen and with Amari coming in, he'll have to devout development time to her...

Reaction Score
Sadly, Coco, although I am a big Liv fan, I have to agree with your commentary... And even sadder, I feel that Geno's mindset is aligned with yours... Liv has not demonstrated consistency that Geno expects from upperclassmen and with Amari coming in, he'll have to devout development time to her...
Amari is not coming and taking minutes away from Oliva. Oliva runs the court better at this time and I think it will take time for Amari to catch up to the speed of the game and playing with taller girls like her self. She is a better passer at this time than Oliva.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari is not coming and taking minutes away from Oliva. Oliva runs the court better at this time and I think it will take time for Amari to catch up to the speed of the game and playing with taller girls like her self. She is a better passer at this time than Oliva.
I'm not sure I agree with most of this. For starters ONO is a terrific passer-probably her best attribute.
Second Amari is quite mobile. Can Amari out run Olivia? Probably not. But this is not a track meet it is mostly about what you do at the basket at the end of the run. ONO should be beating the defense down the floor at least once a game and that is not happening. BLUF: Amari is a better finisher than Liv and so is Aliyah Edwards=AE and AD are better investments for UCONN IMO.

Reaction Score
'If she fixes her jump shot and her free throw shooting.." Those are big asks. She has terrible form. She is excellent when not challenged, under and around the hoop. But terrible against good teams.

Reaction Score
Absolutely

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
'If she fixes her jump shot and her free throw shooting.." Those are big asks. She has terrible form. She is excellent when not challenged, under and around the hoop. But terrible against good teams.
I'm been trying to dismiss this: "ONO only struggles against good teams" for two years now because it is maddingly not the case. During this season ONO struggled against Seton Hall, Georgetown and Providence front lines.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Liv certainly does draw a ton of attention on the Boneyard, and no shortage of advice and criticism, most of the latter focused on her lack of bulk and strength, her lack of a baby hook, etc. I've contributed some criticism here and there, hopefully without sarcasm or being demeaning or meanspirited. Please indulge me here, at season's end, after watching her closely for three seasons. I offer this summary based only on video viewing (and re-viewing) her habits and tendencies. I'm still not sure I can claim to "know" why she falls short of what we think is her full set of capabilities. For any of us fans to be sure of a full diagnosis, we would need extended observation, day-to-day, of her practice and scrimmage sessions. But only the UConn coaching staff can offer that.
But . . . this is what I think I see: a tall, earnest young player who is not a richly gifted natural athlete. This is not someone who lacks "character" or a desire to improve herself. But I see in games someone who does not use her jumping ability (her legs) or have a feel for a proper jump shot:
1. she does not get lift from her legs when on offense
2. takes long steps instead of shorter quicker ones that allow
her to keep her balance, make reversals, make quick upward
movement. (A la N Collier, Stewie, even Steph Dolson)
3. often shoots layups and "gimmie" jumpers by shoving the
the ball with her arms, often off the heel of her hand. True
and controlled layups, jumpers are finessed and directed
with fingers/finger tips. She doesn't seem to do that, so
every layup, etc. is an adventure. I don't know if or when she
has been intensively coached on those principles. Heaven
knows I spent hours with "beginning" players about basic
shooting principles. I have to assume that Liv's coaches
have worked with her about those mechanics.
4. She often seems to have planned her first moves in the
low blocks before she has located her defender(s) instead of
feeling where they are and then faking (shot or spin move) to
move them before committing herself.
She has had three full seasons to improve her game, but i don't think she has yet found the way to refine or add to her offensive skill set. I'm not sure why. Is it partly a confidence issue?

Reaction Score
IMO, there seems to be a split here between those who “like” certain players and those who are more committed to winning. For many of us in the latter group, we‘re more focused on stats and results.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Liv certainly does draw a ton of attention on the Boneyard, and no shortage of advice and criticism, most of the latter focused on her lack of bulk and strength, her lack of a baby hook, etc. I've contributed some criticism here and there, hopefully without sarcasm or being demeaning or meanspirited. Please indulge me here, at season's end, after watching her closely for three seasons. I offer this summary based only on video viewing (and re-viewing) her habits and tendencies. I'm still not sure I can claim to "know" why she falls short of what we think is her full set of capabilities. For any of us fans to be sure of a full diagnosis, we would need extended observation, day-to-day, of her practice and scrimmage sessions. But only the UConn coaching staff can offer that.
But . . . this is what I think I see: a tall, earnest young player who is not a richly gifted natural athlete. This is not someone who lacks "character" or a desire to improve herself. But I see in games someone who does not use her jumping ability (her legs) or have a feel for a proper jump shot:
has been intensively coached on those principles. Heaven
She has had three full seasons to improve her game, but i don't think she has yet found the way to refine or add to her offensive skill set. I'm not sure why. Is it partly a confidence issue?
Precisely! Copied from a post in January.
The three major problems with ONO is that she has pre-determined what she is going to do often before she even catches the ball, too easily moved off her spot and cannot finish through even slight contact. The strips last night were perfect examples of that and she compounded the mistake by looking down at the floor. She is in too much of a hurry to be an effective post player.

Reaction Score
ONO is a such a wonderful talent. Love watching this young lady play and have fun out there. Also, it is a joy listening to hear and the rest of the team, during their post game interviews. Great group of young ladies.

Reaction Score
has been intensively coached on those principles.
Heaven

Pretty much what I see as well. I've posted before that I doubt she had much if any quality instruction before college. I assumed the same as you about her UConn instruction up until the end of her freshman year. I now question how much she's getting based on a few things I'm still seeing. At 6-5, she's still being allowed to shoot a fadeaway that takes her so far out in the lane that she sometimes has trouble reaching the rim. She's still can't extend her arms above her head area on layups. And she's still trying to jam her elbow into the defenders ribs on her roll and hook move to the basket. This stuff should have been eliminated by now IMO. And your other observations are right on and I see them as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Liv missed 7 shots [in a crowd] against AZ .. CW missed 10 shots against AZ, eh?
So draw your own conclusions.

Liv brings a LOT to the table that CW doesn't:
Rebounding: Liv led the club in rebounding by a wide margin
Passing: in 27% less minutes than CW, Liv recorded 35% more assists!
Defense: Liv is an intimidator, defensive player-of-the-year [POY], the anchor of UConn's defense.
Blocked Shots: Liv led the club in blocked shots by a wide margin; her two monster blocks in the 4th-quarter vs TN turned the game around
FG% - Liv led the starters in field goal percentage
Setting screens: most of Paige's pullup jumpers are off ONO high-post screens; Liv is the hub of UConn's offense at the high post with her passing and picks.
Scoring: Liv is an extremely versatile 'big' who can score in the low post, from the high post, in transition [often] and off the pick-n-roll. In one game, her 24 points in only 22 minutes shows her capabilities, eh?

So, I think it's time [don't you?] to stop glorifying CW at Liv's expense. IMO, I think they will BOTH be important pawns in next season's gambit.

Reaction Score
ONO got a lot going for her on defense (aside then some silly fouls) but if she wants a future in the WNBA she MUST get on a serious weight lifting program during the summer. She is just physically to weak to battle aggressive posts and probably a big reason why she misses those lay-ups.
We have been sending Liv to weight room for three years. That ship will never sail, just as we keep saying Aubrey will suddenly develop as a shooter. Recognize them for what they have, not what we wish they had.

Reaction Score
I know this is an ONO thread, but I'm curious to know what folks think about
the possibility that Piath could develop to the point where she is able to provide
the team with meaningful minutes by the time she's a senior.

To my untutored eye it appeared that by the end of the season she maybe sorta
knew what she was doing on the defensive end. With that big strong body it's
tempting to think she will be useful once she learns how to play the game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Liv missed 7 shots [in a crowd] against AZ .. CW missed 10 shots against AZ, eh?
So draw your own conclusions.

Liv brings a LOT to the table that CW doesn't:
Rebounding: Liv led the club in rebounding by a wide margin
Passing: in 27% less minutes than CW, Liv recorded 35% more assists!
Defense: Liv is an intimidator, defensive player-of-the-year [POY], the anchor of UConn's defense.
Blocked Shots: Liv led the club in blocked shots by a wide margin; her two monster blocks in the 4th-quarter vs TN turned the game around
FG% - Liv led the starters in field goal percentage
Setting screens: most of Paige's pullup jumpers are off ONO high-post screens; Liv is the hub of UConn's offense at the high post with her passing and picks.
Scoring: Liv is an extremely versatile 'big' who can score in the low post, from the high post, in transition [often] and off the pick-n-roll. In one game, her 24 points in only 22 minutes shows her capabilities, eh?

So, I think it's time [don't you?] to stop glorifying CW at Liv's expense. IMO, I think they will BOTH be important pawns in next season's gambit.
I also think that we tend to forget that in the 2019 FF, Liv came off the bench and wasn't relied on to supply much. So 2021 was her first time in the FF spotlight. This may have affected her performance (and her teammates).
As you posted, Liv is definitely an asset to this TEAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom