Olivia Nelson-Ododa at The Myrtle Beach Tournament | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa at The Myrtle Beach Tournament

Reaction Score
Olivia , a 6-4 post player had dominated this Christmas tournament last year. A physical player with mobility, passing skills and a good medium range shot was cruising to the MVP, leading by 5 over a Richmond area team with a few minutes to go. Then it happened. With UCONN like suddenness, Megan Walker, who hadn't been an offensive force in the game, unexpectedly pulled up and drained a three. A quick turnover, and the ball found her in the same spot. Swish. Richmond was now up by one and went on to win, and the MVP was Megan Walker's. Nelson-Ordova was the highest ranked post player in her class at the time. She slid a little bit when she finished the season on the injury list. She would make a perfect fit to this season's recruiting class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Olivia , a 6-4 post player had dominated this Christmas tournament last year. A physical player with mobility, passing skills and a good medium range shot was cruising to the MVP, leading by 5 over a Richmond area team with a few minutes to go. Then it happened. With UCONN like suddenness, Megan Walker, who hadn't been an offensive force in the game, unexpectedly pulled up and drained a three. A quick turnover, and the ball found her in the same spot. Swish. Richmond was now up by one and went on to win, and the MVP was Megan Walker's. Nelson-Ordova was the highest ranked post player in her class at the time. She slid a little bit when she finished the season on the injury list. She would make a perfect fit to this season's recruiting class.
There are many here that agree with you and have been saying the same thing for well over a year now. @Sluconn Husky was the first.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
With her medical interest she will enjoy our Cape Program and of course basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With her medical interest she will enjoy our Cape Program and of course basketball.
I'm sure your Cape Program is tremendous. ONO enjoying Duke Women's basketball though?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
. She would make a perfect fit to this season's recruiting class.
She WOULD be our recruiting class...[/QUOTE]

Even if she were a class of one. With Collier no longer in the mix, ONO has to be at the top of their "must get" list (if they have one). She would be a very nice pick up and fit for the Huskies. I'm sure Geno does not want to suffer through another year or two (like last year) with a team that is height challenged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Superwoman brought the cape with her when she transferred to Uconn.Duke-sol for another year.Sorry.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Duke still has a women's basketball team?:rolleyes:

Come on guys be a little humble with all Geno's success, after all coach P has us
pre season top 10. Not shabby after the last two year storm our program has
been through.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Come on guys be a little humble with all Geno's success, after all coach P has us
been through.

I agree they seem to have weathered the storm. Last year Duke started the season unranked and entered the postseason in the top 10, which reversed its very troubling trend of starting every season highly ranked only to go downhill from there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
been through.
My "humble' opinion is that a pre-season top 10 program should not be ducking UCONN.

Reaction Score
been through.

your coach doesn't always handle success all that well, I expect a bit of a backslide from the Dookies this season

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
your coach doesn't always handle success all that well, I expect a bit of a backslide from the Dookies this season

Well, what usually catches my attention is how she does not handle a lack of success; a.k.a., a loss. That's when she starts throwing players under the bus and continually refers to opposition players she's known for years but number only.

...but I digress. Remarkably, Coach P had a good year last year, although I've got to think Ms.'s Brown and Greenwell, were the primary reasons for that (those players are a.o.k. any time, any place). What I'd like to see is how the new group(s) are meshed together. And how Coach P. reacts when things backslide a bit.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Considering most of yall experts had Duke missing the NCAA's last season...... I feel pretty good right about now.

Well, what usually catches my attention is how she does not handle a lack of success; a.k.a., a loss. That's when she starts throwing players under the bus and continually refers to opposition players she's known for years but number only.
t.

So I guess you'd call her the Brian Kelly of WCBB ?

Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
been through.
I agree. I don't care for Joanne as a coach, but I have several friends who went to Duke and have always rooted for their WCBB team. I think sometimes it's easy for UCONN fans to be critical of other teams/coaches - let's be honest, even most non-UCONN fans will likely agree the UCONN coaching staff is the best in the game. We can't really judge other teams compared to UCONN, but rather how they fare against everyone else. Yes there will be those few teams who manage to beat UCONN - we have 2 losses in the past 4 years and 15 in the past 10 years.

Reminds me of a quote by Budd in Kill Bill... "If you're gonna compare a Hanzo sword, you compare it to every other sword ever made... that wasn't made by Hattori Hanzo"... UCONN is like a Hattori Hanzo sword...

Reaction Score
I have to admit i root for Duke in the acc and in most of their tournament games .They have had a lot of classy players over the years that are easy to root for.I haven't met any of them over the years personally,but hey i don't go to all that many classy restaurants.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Considering most of yall experts had Duke missing the NCAA's last season. I feel pretty good right about now.

So I guess you'd call her the Brian Kelly of WCBB ?

View attachment 25206

Coach Kelly doesn't remember numbers of players ;)
If you're bringing up institutions, that's probably a fair-enough volley back, but staying on the court, I simply have not liked this disposition since her days at Michigan State. And I've always given credit where credit is due to her players and other sports in Dukedom. I very much think that in John Danowski you have one of the best lacrosse coaches in the business. Period.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Considering most of yall experts had Duke missing the NCAA's last season. I feel pretty good right about now.

I don't know about "most", maybe some. Duke basketball teams are still respected across the landscape of Division One basketball. Duke always puts competitive teams on the floor every year.

JPM doesn't seem to have a problem recruiting top talent every year. Duke remains a magnet for top local talent. Unless something out of the ordinary happens, and the program suffers a complete collapse (injuries/suspension/transfer of key players), I expect Duke to make the tournament EVERY year.

Everyone on this board is not a Duke hater. Ditto for Notre Dame. Granted there are a fair number of BY's that just don't care for their coaches. They harbor no ill will towards any of the players.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree. I don't care for Joanne as a coach, but I have several friends who went to Duke and have always rooted for their WCBB team. I think sometimes it's easy for UCONN fans to be critical of other teams/coaches - let's be honest, even most non-UCONN fans will likely agree the UCONN coaching staff is the best in the game. We can't really judge other teams compared to UCONN, but rather how they fare against everyone else. Yes there will be those few teams who manage to beat UCONN - we have 2 losses in the past 4 years and 15 in the past 10 years.

Reminds me of a quote by Budd in Kill Bill... "If you're gonna compare a Hanzo sword, you compare it to every other sword ever made... that wasn't made by Hattori Hanzo"... UCONN is like a Hattori Hanzo sword...
Two losses in the past four years? Really?? Surely you jest.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Does UConn really have a decent shot at signing Nelson-Ododa?

Carnac

Reaction Score
wait..... let me ask her......she says probably not....:rolleyes:

That's worse news than the Collier defection. :( If UConn got only one player from the 2018 class, I wanted it to be ONO. No offense to anyone, but if there's little or no chance of her coming to UConn, I could use less news about her, it would just be a tease. :( In Geno (I) we trust. He'll come up with someone, he always does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom