Oliva Miles early enrollment to Norte Dame per bluestar | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oliva Miles early enrollment to Norte Dame per bluestar

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Olivia Miles will be a program changer. Would she qualify for ACC freshmen of the year 2 years in a row ?

I would believe Westbeld would be the leading candidate for FOY in ACC with Hailey Van Lith in the mix too. Doubt Miles would challenge that IMO.

Reaction Score
I was not aware of any early entry prior to COVID for NCAA basketball probably because basketball spans two semesters on college academic calendar.
Amihere of South Carolina enrolled early during the 2018-2019 season when she suffered her second ACL injury. Recall it was to take advantage of rehab on campus instead of in Canada.

She's the only early enrolment that I'm aware of prior to the pandemic.

Reaction Score
The guard play in the ACC will be a lot of fun to watch over the next few years. One match up I think will be interesting, based on previous HS games would be Miles vs Day-Wilson when Notre Dame and Syracuse meet up.

I saw them play against each other once when Crestwood was in the States for a tournament as it was on BallerTV. It was a great battle between the two. The potential of seeing them compete at least twice a year for the next four is intriguing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was not aware of any early entry prior to COVID for NCAA basketball probably because basketball spans two semesters on college academic calendar.
Geno said he never heard of any situation like that (Men or Women)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Whole season could get wiped out at any time. Tournament is in question.

Semester starting two weeks late. No practices to get up to speed and develop some chemistry.

Heavy depressing isolation for players at many schools right now.

Cut off from family who can visit you even if they live in town. Freshmen need mama.

Just the whole screwed up Covid world we are in right now.

The whole HS season has already been wiped out for a lot of these kids, but at least they know they’ll get something if they early enroll. Not like they’re sacrificing any eligibility.

A lot of schools are just starting their spring semester (UConn starts classes today, for example). And you’re nuts if you think these girls aren’t already in communication with their collegiate teammates as soon as they verbal. If any reasonable coach thought it was going to negatively impact team chemistry, it wouldn’t happen.

Soooo... living with your peers, working out with your team, and taking classes online during a pandemic is more socially isolating than living with your parents, working out mostly alone, and taking classes online? Riiiiiiight.

Freshmen need mama? Seriously? These kids have spent more time with their parents over the past ten months than any of them ever bargained for. They’ll FaceTime and be a-okay. Or they’ll transfer and your team will be able to pivot before they become an integral part of your system. If someone is that homesick for mom, they’ll transfer with or without a pandemic.

The world is screwed up whether they’re at home or have entered college early. I’d argue that with everyone in their bubbles being regularly tested, they’re probably safer at their university.

Reaction Score
The whole HS season has already been wiped out for a lot of these kids, but at least they know they’ll get something if they early enroll. Not like they’re sacrificing any eligibility.

A lot of schools are just starting their spring semester (UConn starts classes today, for example). And you’re nuts if you think these girls aren’t already in communication with their collegiate teammates as soon as they verbal. If any reasonable coach thought it was going to negatively impact team chemistry, it wouldn’t happen.

Soooo... living with your peers, working out with your team, and taking classes online during a pandemic is more socially isolating than living with your parents, working out mostly alone, and taking classes online? Riiiiiiight.

Freshmen need mama? Seriously? These kids have spent more time with their parents over the past ten months than any of them ever bargained for. They’ll FaceTime and be a-okay. Or they’ll transfer and your team will be able to pivot before they become an integral part of your system. If someone is that homesick for mom, they’ll transfer with or without a pandemic.

The world is screwed up whether they’re at home or have entered college early. I’d argue that with everyone in their bubbles being regularly tested, they’re probably safer at their university.
Adding to your post:

The player gets the benefit of travel and learning to play a half season in the road game lifestyle. A Notre Dame Travel regimen to ACC schools has to be tougher than Wake-NC State-Duke-UNC. Make that adjustment in a half season rather than a whole.

Most importantly, this Covid Season is a free pass in eligibility. For that reason and those pointed out by others, I have to retract my earlier theory and admit that this may be the best time ever to enter early.

Reaction Score
In the case of Notre Dame, only student-athletes are even on campus until mid-February, so she'll have a very "open" Notre Dame du lac to get accustomed to, for sure. And then, there's that basketball stuff ;)
Actually, non-athlete students are currently arriving on campus and will be starting class feb. 3!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Actually, non-athlete students are currently arriving on campus and will be starting class feb. 3!

Thanks for the specifics. When I wrote this --??? -- the point was more that hoopters and other winter-sport athletes have been pretty much alone on that campus since Thanksgiving. That's a long time in the dead of winter in northwest Indiana.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@Dillon77 Has Miles made her ND debut? Is she close? Looks like Dominique has played in 5 games so far for UCLA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amihere of South Carolina enrolled early during the 2018-2019 season when she suffered her second ACL injury. Recall it was to take advantage of rehab on campus instead of in Canada.

She's the only early enrolment that I'm aware of prior to the pandemic.
Elle Sutphin was originally class of 2020 but she reclassified to the 2019 class and joined NC St early, and way back in 2010 Kayla Brewer top 10 prospect in 2011 reclassified and signed with South Carolina, but transferred to Texas.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I found this statement by NI to be very surprising. Perhaps some context is missing, like "after Ruth, Skylar and Arike?"

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I found this statement by NI to be very surprising. Perhaps some context was missed, like "after Ruth, Skylar and Arike?"

Oh, A Techie.

Seriously, how different is this star treatment in comparison to Geno continually trying to relieve outside pressure on Paige. Of course, Geno is sometimes forced to leak the truth.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I found this statement by NI to be very surprising. Perhaps some context is missing, like "after Ruth, Skylar and Arike?"

Maybe true, but I saw a lot of that game and Notre Dame looked completely different (and better) when she was on the court. She made some errors, but even my wife and I who root against all things Notre Dame were impressed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom