Oliva Miles early enrollment to Norte Dame per bluestar

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
michael.jpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big addition for Notre Dame. Im not sure how much these mid-season incoming freshmen will impact their teams early on since they're likely not in shape and don't know their coach's system, but if nothing else it'll be great to get experience and hit the ground running next year with a leg up compared to other freshmen. Miles is the highest rated incoming early entrant i believe.

Is there anyone else besides her, Saylor and the UCLA recruit?

Reaction Score
Big addition for Notre Dame. Im not sure how much these mid-season incoming freshmen will impact their teams early on since they're likely not in shape and don't know their coach's system, but if nothing else it'll be great to get experience and hit the ground running next year with a leg up compared to other freshmen. Miles is the highest rated incoming early entrant i believe.

Ally Van Timmeren, #95 rated in the class of 2021 by hoopgurlz, played for Boston College today against ND. She is averaging about 8p and 5rb through 5 games.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
There is quite a few I found doing a bit of research....

Rankings per ESPN Hoopgurlz 2021

#8 Olivia Miles 5'10 G -> Notre Dame
#25 Talia Von Oelhoffen 5'11 G -> Oregon State
#26 Dominique Darius 5'9 G -> UCLA
#30 Saylor Poffenbarger 6'2 G -> UCONN
#40 Knisha Godfrey 5'9 G -> Mississippi State
#70 Madison Connor 5'11 G -> Arizona
#95 Ally Van TImmeren 6'2 F -> Boston College
#98 Katie Borowicz 5'6 G -> Minnesota

Reaction Score

Talia von Oelhoffen was ranked in the top-25. She’ll likely play big minutes at Oregon State because of their lack of guards.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Good stuff, thanks for putting this together.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Jess Finney at Washington. Not sure where she was ranked. 6-0 guard from Arizona.

edit--#94

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If nothing else, we will have another set of players to compare and argue about. :)

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles will be a program changer. Would she qualify for ACC freshmen of the year 2 years in a row ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Suggested this a while ago @Dillon77. I disagree with Mike though ND is pretty guard heavy at the moment don't see Miles having an impact right away but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
She is the "answer" to ND's point guard issue. Of course, it'll take time for her to adjust, but she will definitely already be the best option when you think long term. I'm only concerned about a couple of Freshman currently on the ND roster that arent getting many minutes.

With that being said, I'm excited. She's what this team needs. I dont want to get too hyped, but only good things can come from getting experience a semester early.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Suggested this a while ago @Dillon77. I disagree with Mike though ND is pretty guard heavy at the moment don't see Miles having an impact right away but I could be wrong.

She is the "answer" to ND's point guard issue. Of course, it'll take time for her to adjust, but she will definitely already be the best option when you think long term. I'm only concerned about a couple of Freshman currently on the ND roster that arent getting many minutes.

With that being said, I'm excited. She's what this team needs. I dont want to get too hyped, but only good things can come from getting experience a semester early.

Good morning.
This is good news, which CocoHusky did, indeed, raise a couple of weeks back. A couple of thoughts:
  • I think it's great Olivia can get to South Bend & enter everything collegiate, from academics and socially (as it is), to meeting/reacquainting herself with teammates, getting into college-shape, learning the system and maybe even making a contribution. Given that she'll probably have to quarantine, she'll probably not even be seen/hear from until February.
  • ND does have a lot of guards, for sure, but not a lot of point guards. Right now, Dara Mabrey is doing her best to replicate sister Marina's transformation to lead guard. True PG Alasia Hayes got some minutes early on, but those seem to be decreasing as the ACC schedule continues.
That said, the best true passers on the team are glue guard Abby Prohaska and forward Maddy Westbeld, so there's room for a PG. If she can even spell Mabrey for a bit (get Dara over to shooting guard), that would be great.
  • As Reypl21 said, Miles is, hopefully, the answer to PG for quite some time. ND has been in need to a talented alpha lead guard to lead breaks and make sure folks run plays, go where they should, etc.
  • I like this for another reason, which has been hinted at. Alli Campbell is one of those freshman who isn't seeing the court as much as many of us would've liked. Olivia Miles and Alli Campbell are buddies from seasons together on the Philly Belles. Mabye Olivia's arrival can give Alli some hope to get though what must be an unexpected freshman year.

MPG on The Bench raised a good question: are team limits this year at 15 (I know it's unlimited for 2021-22)? If so, ND is pushing the limit here...

Stay tuned.
-

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Elise Williams a guard out of Raleigh has joined Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
In every instance before this Covid year, I support early entry.

This year, it's a questionable decision.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I was not aware of any early entry prior to COVID for NCAA basketball probably because basketball spans two semesters on college academic calendar.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

What's the downside of early enrollment? Second semester senior year is usually a joke academically to begin with, not to mention a lot of these girls are probably taking remote classes right now and will miss out on a HS season. By enrolling early they get to play basketball, bond with their teammates, start their collegiate academics and it doesn't affect eligibility.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What's the downside of early enrollment? Second semester senior year is usually a joke academically to begin with, not to mention a lot of these girls are probably taking remote classes right now and will miss out on a HS season. By enrolling early they get to play basketball, bond with their teammates, start their collegiate academics and it doesn't affect eligibility.

In the case of Notre Dame, only student-athletes are even on campus until mid-February, so she'll have a very "open" Notre Dame du lac to get accustomed to, for sure. And then, there's that basketball stuff ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the case of Notre Dame, only student-athletes are even on campus until mid-February, so she'll have a very "open" Notre Dame du lac to get accustomed to, for sure. And then, there's that basketball stuff ;)
:eek: ND is a beautiful campus in Spring and fall and Summer. Jan-mid-Feb though?
How is Olivia supposed to get around campus?
1610990608034.png

Reaction Score
Lets be clear this move still does not make ND a top 25 team at all , BUT it does build the foundation for a tourney run this year if possible at this point. Hopefully not #Muffetted

Reaction Score

Whole season could get wiped out at any time. Tournament is in question.

Semester starting two weeks late. No practices to get up to speed and develop some chemistry.

Heavy depressing isolation for players at many schools right now.

Cut off from family who can visit you even if they live in town. Freshmen need mama.

Just the whole screwed up Covid world we are in right now.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Whole season could get wiped out at any time. Tournament is in question.

Semester starting two weeks late. No practices to get up to speed and develop some chemistry.

Heavy depressing isolation for players at many schools right now.

Cut off from family who can visit you even if they live in town. Freshmen need mama.

Just the whole screwed up Covid world we are in right now.

I don't think any kids are starting 2 weeks late as you suggest. UCONN's semester starts this week, ND's starts in 2 weeks, UCLA's Darius started in early Jan and was enrolled.

Understand the argument for the others but I'm sure those players weighed pros/cons and it made sense to enroll early vs. staying at home and likely not doing a lot by means of basketball or school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom