OLED TV | The Boneyard

OLED TV

Reaction Score
I am thinking about buying a 55” LG OLED TV. Anyone have one? Is it worth the extra money?

Reaction Score
OLEDs are used for imaging on small (cellphone) displays, but for TVs at this point, they are used for backlight. How bright do U want? $$ / lumen

Reaction Score
I have last year’s version of that TV and can’t tell the difference between it and a decent LCD.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I am thinking about buying a 55” LG OLED TV. Anyone have one? Is it worth the extra money?
It’s about the nicest TV your money can buy. That’s not to say that less pricier options aren’t great... but this one is stellar.

Reaction Score
QVC Price: $1599.96
Free S & H

Sounds like a decent price for a 55"
1543026793349.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have the 2016 55” LG OLED and it’s a great tv. You need to see it in 4K with Dolby Vision content...it’ll shock you how good it is.

Reaction Score
Aren't Plasma TVs able to show the same blackness levels as the OLED TVs? That is the big bragging right about OLED TVs, that their black pixels really are absolute black as they emit no light, and with that true black background, the picture just looks better. I loved my old Plasma, the knock against them was that they were energy inefficient (never knew how bad, just a few cents more on electric bill?).
But, they don't make plasma TVs anymore, it got too expensive to make the bigger screens. Still, I am always tempted when I see a really nice plasma like the last year models of the Panasonics or the Samsung's- they are supposed to be really phenomenal, and some people are selling plasma tvs pretty cheap.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Aren't Plasma TVs able to show the same blackness levels as the OLED TVs? That is the big bragging right about OLED TVs, that their black pixels really are absolute black as they emit no light, and with that true black background, the picture just looks better. I loved my old Plasma, the knock against them was that they were energy inefficient (never knew how bad, just a few cents more on electric bill?).
But, they don't make plasma TVs anymore, it got too expensive to make the bigger screens. Still, I am always tempted when I see a really nice plasma like the last year models of the Panasonics or the Samsung's- they are supposed to be really phenomenal, and some people are selling plasma tvs pretty cheap.
I was always Team Plasma (my 9 year old one is still going) but when it’s time to replace it it’ll be with the LG OLED.

Reaction Score
Universal Didplay (stock symbol OLED) in NJ makes ~99% of the materials used for OLED displays (actually a licensing company. BSF makes it). OLEDs exhibit more brightness, have better color, and use 1/4 power of LEDs (since the OLEDs emit light). Bought the stock for $5 20 years ago. At $88 now, down from $215. Here's a watered down tech description:

Organic Light Emitting Diodes (OLEDs) - Universal Display Corporation

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It’s about the nicest TV your money can buy. That’s not to say that less pricier options aren’t great... but this one is stellar.

But does it depend on what you're watching?

Reaction Score
I just got tcl series 6 65r617 for $1,000 (65 inch). Is led think and not oled but based on reviews was best "price point" for very good tv. Had it for a week and sure seems way, way better than older sony had. The actors close up in pictures actually almost look like 3d. A 55 inch is more like $650. Watching Ohio State vs. Michigan now and almost like there. Next up will be UConn vs. Temple, not sure its such a good idea to have too good a picture for that game!

Reaction Score
thinking about a new TV for March Madness....Any more recent thoughts on OLED v LCD? Is is worth the 3-4x price point?

Reaction Score
Still have a Panny Plasma and will continue to use it until the OLED sets come down in price. The quality is far better than the LED/LCD 4K set that I have.

I'm strongly considering buying up another larger plasma set in the meantime.

Reaction Score
Still have a Panny Plasma and will continue to use it until the OLED sets come down in price. The quality is far better than the LED/LCD 4K set that I have.

Same here. It looks great and at this point it has some sentimental value for me. I have a Google Chromecast connected to provide some modern connectivity.

Reaction Score
I've got an LG CX and I love it. However, pay attention to how bright the room you plan to use it in is. In my experience, because the OLEDs are so good with total blacks and partial blacks they are wonderful in low-light rooms but you can actually lose details in dark scenes if the room your TV is in is too bright.

Reaction Score
I've got an LG CX and I love it. However, pay attention to how bright the room you plan to use it in is. In my experience, because the OLEDs are so good with total blacks and partial blacks they are wonderful in low-light rooms but you can actually lose details in dark scenes if the room your TV is in is too bright.
thx...like the old Plasma v LED debate...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
thinking about a new TV for March Madness....Any more recent thoughts on OLED v LCD? Is is worth the 3-4x price point?

I've got a 2020 TCL 6-series (R635) and it's fantastic, especially for the price point (I paid $650 in November).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It kind of depends on what size TV you're looking for. At 55" or less, OLEDs are affordable. As they get larger, they go up in price a lot compared to LED. Also, what's your price range?

Reaction Score

Can you even get a new plasma TV from any producers at this point? I thought they had been pretty much phased out. I have a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma that is still an absolute tank. TV development was progressing so rapidly for quite a while but has pretty much slowed to a crawl because of how good they got. I just can’t justify spending the premium to upgrade because the difference is so minimal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I was always Team Plasma (my 9 year old one is still going) but when it’s time to replace it it’ll be with the LG OLED.
Ha - I too have an old plasma - a Panasonic from the last year of production. Its still better at sports than my Samsung 4k. No motion blur - ever. Its colors arent as vivid - and graphics not as crisp since its 1080p - but the lack of motion blur still makes it a superior tv to most 4k tvs today even after all these years for sports.

But alas the old Panasonic Plasma is certainly not a smart tv and its a few inches small for my living room - so I do plan to replace it with an LG OLED sometime this year. Not sure what I will do with the old gal - its too heavy to easily move to another space in the house.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom