OT: - Old Westerns | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Old Westerns

Reaction Score
I just finished rewatching Lonesome Dove. I had not seen it in quite some time. But it was even better than I remembered. Great saga, well written story line, and wonderful acting by an extraordinary cast top to bottom. This is what is possible when talented people commit to doing quality work. I will always cherish "A grape changes color when it sees another grape".
Diane Lane is not bad either.

Reaction Score
Is it a Western movie if it is East of the Mississippi River or West of the Mississippi River? If it is East of the Mississippi River is it a period film? Or is the "Western" Western West of the Mississippi River?

Reaction Score
Veryoldogs post about the attempt of cattle theft on his ranch got me to thinking about western movies. They were the ones I grew up with and there have been so many throughout the years. I have some favorites and I wondered about the rest of the "yarders" My five favorites are:

Red River
Shane
The Unforgiving
True Grit
Open Range
I'm sure there will be some choices I've forgotten that might replace one of mine.
My Pal Trigger, Roy Rogers movie is my favorite old time western.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the western movies, here's a switch to music from screen: How about the old song by The Olympics: Anybody remember this one:

"My baby loves the western movies; my baby loves the western movies: wam, bam, do woppata bam bam " ( or some such). Loved it back then and love it now. The more savvy can find it on You Tube.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Speaking of the western movies, here's a switch to music from screen: How about the old song by The Olympics: Anybody remember this one:

"My baby loves the western movies; my baby loves the western movies: wam, bam, do woppata bam bam " ( or some such). Loved it back then and love it now. The more savvy can find it on You Tube.
Nice segue! Thanks for reminding me it's time for Maverick! ;)

Reaction Score
Everyone named all the great westerns. For example, anything with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. High Noon. Shane. Once Upon a a Time in the West. My favorite- Lonesoem Dove.

Here's a few others -- and shout out to RSHERMIKES for picking out one of favorites but lesser known "The Fastest Gun Alive."

Anyhow here are a few more I loved:

The Last Train from Gun Hill
There was a Crooked Man
Purgatory
The Stalking Moon
The Quick and The Dead (Sam Elliott starred in the one that I liked A LOT. I didn't like the other with Gene Hackman & Sharon Stone)
The Desperate Trail
No Name on the Bullet
Warlock
Sierra Madre (Humphrey Bogart :))
Winchester 73
Gunman's Walk

Reaction Score
I'm thinking you mean "My Darling Clementine", where he is mean to Henry Fonda and company. Another excellent villainous role for Walter Brennen is in "The Westerner".
You are one hundred per cent right, DB. He was, I believe, Ike Clanton. Yea, Judge Roy Bean. One of the greatest lines in any western "Don't spill that drink on the bar, son. It eats the wood."

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I watched "The Big Country" last night. Very well done, great musical score, and a quality cast. Gregory Peck adds gravitas to the lead character. Jean Simmons and Carol Baker as the love interests. Chuck Connors is a bully and a coward. Burl Ives in an award winning supporting role. And Charlton Heston plays a "bad" guy in a rare role for him. And if that is not tempting enough, the scenery is gobsmackingly beautiful in its harsh Western aspect. Very long by today's standards, it is currently streaming on Prime.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
It said this scene was from "El Dorado" which also starred Robert Mitchum but this scene was from "Rio Bravo" which had John Wayne (of course) but also starred Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson and Walter Brennan

Good catch @Buzzyboy . At the top of the you tube clip it has the right info "Pick It Up" from Rio Bravo but at the bottom it says "Backdoor Ambush" from El Dorado. I'm gonna blame you tube for that. :eek:

Reaction Score
Unless I missed it I didn't see Death Valley Days with the Old Ranger. I like to think the episodes were as close to what really happen back then as Hollywood would allow. Let's face it 99% of the movies and series mentioned were in no way based strictly on historical facts. As the old saying goes; why let facts get in the way of a good story. I've heard several say however that Red River is about as close to how life was back then as any other movie in this genre.
This one may send many scrabbling for a quick google search, but one of my favorites is Wagon Master with Ben Johnson and Harry Carry Jr. featuring music sung by The Sons of The Pioneers. Sons of The Pioneers are for me western music personified. And, what about Harry Cary Sr.

Reaction Score
Unless I missed it I didn't see Death Valley Days with the Old Ranger. I like to think the episodes were as close to what really happen back then as Hollywood would allow. Let's face it 99% of the movies and series mentioned were in no way based strictly on historical facts. As the old saying goes; why let facts get in the way of a good story. I've heard several say however that Red River is about as close to how life was back then as any other movie in this genre.
This one may send many scrabbling for a quick google search, but one of my favorites is Wagon Master with Ben Johnson and Harry Carry Jr. featuring music sung by The Sons of The Pioneers. Sons of The Pioneers are for me western music personified. And, what about Harry Cary Sr.

Wagon Master was directed by the great John Ford. It is a very good film, and a particular favorite of my wife. I suspect the only reason that it isn't better known is that it doesn't have a big western star such as John Wayne or Henry Fonda in it.

By the way, Friday's in July on Turner Classic Movies will feature many John Ford films. Wagon Master will be shown this Friday afternoon.

Also, Rio Grande is another John Ford film that features a number of songs performed by the Sons of the Pioneers in the guise of being called the "Regimental Singers". One of the members of this group was Ken Curtis, who also happened to be a son in law to John Ford. Curtis appeared in a number of John Ford films, often providing some musical accompaniment. Curtis is probably most famous for playing Festus on the television show Gunsmoke.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up about Wagon Master being on TCM this Friday. Will definitely set the DVR to record it. The version I have now was from GRIT TV and as such contains commericals. Most people that know anything about the Sons of the Pioneers, know Roy Rogers was lead singer for many years and interestingly chose Pat Brady from the group to be his sidekick in the Roy Rodgers TV series.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up about Wagon Master being on TCM this Friday. Will definitely set the DVR to record it. The version I have now was from GRIT TV and as such contains commericals. Most people that know anything about the Sons of the Pioneers, know Roy Rogers was lead singer for many years and interestingly chose Pat Brady from the group to be his sidekick in the Roy Rodgers TV series.

GRIT TV shows some good stuff, but not only do they have commercials, but they also make cuts in the movies they show. For instance, in Rio Grande my wife tells me they edited out some of the songs. They also edit out slang terms for the Irish, and removed some references to Indians as well. No doubt other stuff came out as well. One reason I really like TCM is not only do they not have commercials, but they don't edit the films they show.

Reaction Score
GRIT TV shows some good stuff, but not only do they have commercials, but they also make cuts in the movies they show. For instance, in Rio Grande my wife tells me they edited out some of the songs. They also edit out slang terms for the Irish, and removed some references to Indians as well. No doubt other stuff came out as well. One reason I really like TCM is not only do they not have commercials, but they don't edit the films they show.

Dbmill - Wanted to tank you once again. Recorded Wagon Master today and while I don't believe there is any additional content, when compared to the GRIT TV airing I recorded earlier, there is definitely an improvement in the picture quality. TCM does such a great job airing older movies. As you mentioned uncut... then great picture quality, commercial free and closed captioned. Definitely my go to station.
Hope I did it correctly in coping your last reply. Won't know I guess until I post this. A bit of a newbie at this.

Reaction Score
Dbmill - Wanted to tank you once again. Recorded Wagon Master today and while I don't believe there is any additional content, when compared to the GRIT TV airing I recorded earlier, there is definitely an improvement in the picture quality. TCM does such a great job airing older movies. As you mentioned uncut... then great picture quality, commercial free and closed captioned. Definitely my go to station.
Hope I did it correctly in coping your last reply. Won't know I guess until I post this. A bit of a newbie at this.

You're welcome. I haven't seen Wagon Master in a while, so I recorded it as well. As for TCM, in addition to what you wrote, they also offer some pretty good commentary on the films they show by their hosts during the hours they are on the air, generally in the evenings and weekends.

Reaction Score
TwoCents, Harry Cary Sr. was one of the greatest character actors ever in the movies. I believe Ward Bond was the original Wagon Master on the tv version and when he passed away John McIntyre took over the role. I've always plalced Red RIver in my top five Westerns. The pairing of John Wayne and Montgomery Cliff was pure genius. Not sure that either one of them ever exceeded their roles, even with Wayne's "True Grit". By the way, and I believe I've posted this before, but Ken Curtis, who plays Festus in Gunsmoke, was a member of the Sons Of The Pioneers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom