OT: - Old Time Radio | The Boneyard

OT: Old Time Radio

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Golden Age of Radio. The radio of yesteryear. Sometimes you don't want to listen to the news, sports talk or music. You want something different, something entertaining that won't give you the blues. :( You want old time radio. :D

upload_2018-7-5_11-42-10.jpeg

If you are old enough to remember old radio programs from the 40's, 50's and 60's, then you'll remember some of these programs that you can download to your phone or computer and listen to for FREE. Shows like Philip Marlow, Our Miss Brooks, Yours truly Johnny Dollar, THE SHADOW, Burns & Allen, X minus 1, The Inner Sanctum, Dragnet, and more. If you're not old enough, you're still in luck. You can still introduce yourself to the golden age of radio today. I've been listening to OTR for the last 15-20 years. :p

My favorites are The Lone Ranger, Have Gun - Will Travel, Gun Smoke, Night Beat, and a short lived western series (starring the late Sam Buffington who sounds like William Conrad (Cannon) from the late 1950's: Luke Slaughter of Tombstone. They have comedy, dramas, detective shows, variety shows and many many more. Listen and enjoy. :)

Check it out, and remember.......................it's free. [LINK] [another Link]
OTR on-air personalities - Sound FX behind the mikes.

You can also download the OTR app from the app store on your cell-phone. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Probably a little bit (or a lot) before your time: Straight Arrow, Sargeant Preston of the Yukon, Lights Out, The Shadow, and much more.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!!!!! Hahahahahahahahah.

AKA: Lamont Cranston, that wealthy man about town. The only person that knew the Shadow's true identity was the lovely Margot/Margo Lane. ;)

adee4ab3ecb5d849290c0e5ef0c7327d--famous-comedians-funny-comedians.jpg

Do you know this man???? :confused: His real name was Milton Supman. :eek:

JS

Reaction Score
Will bookmark the link and dig out some nostalgia later.

Memories. First grade or so, would listen on my parents' bed. No radio in the kids' room.

Lone Ranger - Mon., Weds. and Fri. at 7:30 p.m., sponsored by Cheerios. Such detail after all these years; obviously a lasting impression. He was #1.

Then Sky King, The Shadow, Captain Midnight and Sgt. Preston of the Yukon come to mind. Green Hornet might've been buzzing around too.

That was my stuff. Another memory: my mother busying herself in the kitchen while listening to Arthur Godfrey, Jack Benny and Amos & Andy.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Will bookmark the link and dig out some nostalgia later.

Memories. First grade or so, would listen on my parents' bed. No radio in the kids' room.

Lone Ranger - Mon., Weds. and Fri. at 7:30 p.m., sponsored by Cheerios. Such detail after all these years; obviously a lasting impression. He was #1.

Then Sky King, The Shadow, Captain Midnight and Sgt. Preston of the Yukon come to mind. Green Hornet might've been buzzing around too.

That was my stuff. Another memory: my mother busying herself in the kitchen while listening to Arthur Godfrey, Jack Benny and Amos & Andy.
Yesss. One of Sky King's sponsors I believe was Ovaltine.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And Scoop? I know you'll remember Mr. Kean, Tracer of Lost Persons.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Don't forget Life with Luigi.

We're all living "Life with Luigi" right now!!! I must say that except for a couple of minor hiccups recently, it's pretty good. :)

Life with Luigi was an American radio situation comedy series which began September 21, 1948 on CBS Radio, with the final episode broadcast on March 3, 1953. The story concerned Italian immigrant Luigi Basco, and his experiences as a newly-naturalized American citizen in Chicago. Many of the shows take place at the English classes that Luigi attends with other immigrants from different countries, or concern his attempts to fend off the repeated advances of the morbidly-obese daughter of his landlord/sponsor. Luigi was played by J. Carrol Naish, an Irish-American actor. Other actors included Alan Reed, Jody Gilbert, Gil Stratton, Mary Shipp, Hans Conried, Joe Forte, Ken Peters. Tonight's Story: Luigi Discovers America.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I'll take: Bob Steele on WTIC.....every morning during breakfast, while getting ready for school.

Reaction Score
I am a bit young to remember these shows as originally broadcast, but I was fortunate enough to grow up in range of WAMU radio in Washington DC. They had a show on Sunday nights called "Recollections" where they played many of the the shows from the period including "The Great Gildersleeve", "Suspense", and many others.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'll take: Bob Steele on WTIC.....every morning during breakfast, while getting ready for school.

Hey Monte, OTR like UConn, is not for everyone. Enjoy your day and your weekend. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am a bit young to remember these shows as originally broadcast, but I was fortunate enough to grow up in range of WAMU radio in Washington DC. They had a show on Sunday nights called "Recollections" where they played many of the the shows from the period including "The Great Gildersleeve", "Suspense", and many others.

Older folks will find OTR more appealing and enjoyable because it takes them back down memory lane to days of their youth. Times were different then. Family members that have passed on were still alive then. OTR brings back good memories for most of us. Anyone under 40 years old is too young to remember the Golden Days of Radio. It's a by-gone era that will never return. OTR is like enjoying a beer. It's an acquired taste.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not quite old enough to really remember a lot of these shows, but -
- when I was really young, maybe early '60's, I remember my Dad going to the basement and listening to The Shadow. Maybe one other serial. I was too young to appreciate them.
- I think it lasted many more years, but he also listened to an opera? (maybe other classical, as well?) show with a very famous host, I forget the name. Although I can enjoy listening to what is loosely lumped together as classical music, opera is not my thing, but Dad seemed to enjoy the show.
- And of course, in the evening, the Jean Shepherd Radio Show.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Older folks will find OTR more appealing and enjoyable because it takes them back down memory lane to days of their youth. Times were different then. Family members that have passed on were still alive then. OTR brings back good memories for most of us. Anyone under 40 years old is too young to remember the Golden Days of Radio. It's a by-gone era that will never return. OTR is like enjoying a beer. It's an acquired taste.
I believe anyone under 60. My daughter will be 54 this month and she knows nothing about listening to those shows. They were over well before she was born.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I listen on XM every once in awhile. I like Johnny Dollar the best. The hero is from Hartford! I think Jack Benny still holds up. And whaddya know, turns out Bob Hope was never funny.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
- I think it lasted many more years, but he also listened to an opera? (maybe other classical, as well?) show with a very famous host, I forget the name.

WTIC carried the opera every Saturday afternoon until at least the 70's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom