Old-school | The Boneyard

Old-school

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Found this jpeg of a 1948 game program... wondering who the two guys pictured are. I looked up who were the presidents of the schools at the time, but it doesn't look like Albert Jorgensen or Charles Seymour. The one in the UConn sweater might be Gov. Wilbur Cross (Yalie, but supporter of UConn), not sure if the pudgy guy in the Yale sweater would be Gov. Baldwin?

44379.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I didn't know that the nickname UConn was used back in 1948. Anyone know when it was adopted?

Reaction Score
I didn't know that the nickname UConn was used back in 1948. Anyone know when it was adopted?
Connecticut Agricultural College became Connecticut State College in 1933 and became the University of Connecticut in 1939. I assume the nickname UCONN came into use shortly thereafter. I don't know if it has ever been adopted as any kind of "official" moniker.

Reaction Score
I suspect, though don't know, that the two guys pictured are the two coaches, Hickman of Yale and J.O. Christian from UCONN. I couldn't find a picture of Christian, but I as I recall from some I have seen he had a shock of white hair and he coached the Huskies football team from 1934-49 so that would fit. He also coached baseball into the 60s and was the A.D.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I suspect, though don't know, that the two guys pictured are the two coaches, Hickman of Yale and J.O. Christian from UCONN. I couldn't find a picture of Christian, but I as I recall from some I have seen he had a shock of white hair and he coached the Huskies football team from 1934-49 so that would fit. He also coached baseball into the 60s and was the A.D.
That should have occurred to me! I was thinking... because the two figures were literally "looming" over the state of CT, that they must have been politicos.

By the way, I should have linked the place where I found it, it's a Yale library digital collection of their game programs. Check out this Yale-Harvard cover... from 1875.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That could be John Rowland on the left, except the eyes are too big.

C

crownfox2

I think you are right in naming J.O.Christian as the Uconn coach. Add the glasses and it fits my memory of him.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it wouldn't be until 17 years later that we finally beat them

dsc02540.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members