Old School Boneyard Stories | The Boneyard

Old School Boneyard Stories

Reaction Score
I discovered The Boneyard in 2010 I believe, and became pretty active about it in 2013. I was wondering what some of the long term Boneyard users remember about the beginning days of UConn basketball. Were there any rumors, or stories, or recruits we were hot on?

I know there's Andrew Bynum, any big recruits that people were excited about that didn't pan out?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not really. This place was pretty calm and mild until about mid-2013.

A lot of back slapping and agreement, recruiting was fine- if we wanted a recruit, we got them. No last minute backing out of commitments.

Everyone was happy with the offense JC and the perceived status as a "blue blood" program which was universally accepted and beloved by fellow fans.

Didn't have to worry about conference realignment pre-2010.

The stories of JC and Geno hangin' out with each other after work swapping trade? Priceless.

Mostly it was the quality of the posters. High level, none of this gimmicky stuff trying to create "mojo".

Pre-2010? I think there were only 2 "Best Pizza in CT" threads. Might have only been one.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There was a thread about this not too long ago. If I had any skill I would search for it but I don't know how to do that. I think it started when someone posted a link to one of the earlier forums that was archived somewhere.

Reaction Score
Maybe what I was asking for was just old UConn tidbits, if anybody remembers. The recruiting of some bigger players, players getting in trouble, great players who didn't pan out like people thought, campus stories, and players we almost got.

Reaction Score
To be quite honest, I forget if the old message board on aol was called 'The Boneyard' in the early to mid 1990's. In my vague recollection that forum was 'The Boneyard'. One specific change is the turnover of leading contributors with value added. At that time 'JKul' was the 'tcf13' with a great deal of value added content. Other frequent posters I recall were 'Vuce' , 'Blakeiii', 'Scott29ski', ... it would be interesting to know if any of these old posters were on the boneyard these days under the same other names. The information we now share from 247 or other 'real time' recruiting services was instead snail mail subscriptions to Hoop Scoop, Bob Gibbons, Husky Blue & White, etc on a publication schedule. I kept some of those old ranking lists that might be interesting. For instance, I hadn't recalled Rashmael Jones being a top 10 recruit, but he was by at least 1 of the services. I don't believe there was a composite rating at the time. The rumor mill was just as active. I saw I had printed out an assertion that Georgetown had cooled on the recruitment of Khalid El-Amin because he had asked John Thompson for money on a recruiting visit, and, did it in front of 2 other people. Never knew the truth of that. In that regard, nothing has changed.

Reaction Score
I remember calling the recruiting hotlines over and over to see if a player committed to UConn. There was an article in Husky Blue and White about Kevin Garnett and his possible interest.

I met JKul a time or two to get whatever recruiting scoop he might have.

Heck, before the AOL days I remember I couldn’t wait to get the Courant and go to the sports page to see if a recruit committed to UConn.

Totally different world now!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Old school BY? It can be summed up in three words:
"Love Potion Thread."
I've searched the wayback machine many times to find that thread. It was the best ever on the Boneyard. If anyone ever finds an archive they may surpass fishy and TCF for likes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We lost Oklahoma Eric, who made Trey Hall look like a schoolboy.
Typical_Sooner_Fan_ACUL6X.jpg

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AW -please keep sending more of these pre-diet selfies. It is a sure incentive for me to go on a diet myself.
How much have you lost to date?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
AW -please keep sending more of these pre-diet selfies. It is a sure incentive for me to go on a diet myself.
How much have you lost to date?
42 but I haven't weighed in this week. And I went to Arby's last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom