Old Orchard Beach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Old Orchard Beach

Reaction Score
Looking to do a quick getaway with my wife and 6 year old this summer and was considering Maine. I know nothing about OOB other than it looks to have lots to do for a 6 year old (she'd love the amusement park) and it seems to either be loved or hated. I like that I can get a decent hotel right on the beach for easy access etc, but is the area a bit seedy?
I actually went to Old Orchard Beach last August. It was the first time Ive been in the state of Maine. I was very skeptical at first because we were supposed to go down the Jersey Shore, but the place we were staying lost power because of the bad storms last August so we needed a quick “Plan B”. The other family we were going with suggested Old Orchard because they have not been in like 20 years, and the Maine Covid numbers were relatively low at the time.

We ended up staying at the Copley LaReine Motel which is right on the beach. We had a room with an ocean view which was nice. Like others have already pointed out, the hotels are not exactly 5 star resorts, but overall the place was clean, and for a nice ocean view, it was not bad. The only issue I I had with OOB was the food situation. It did not seem like there were many places to go for a nice lunch or dinner in Old Orchard. The Pier looks cool, but inside there are a lot of what seemed like run down bars/restaurants. Good Thyme Cafe was good for breakfast which we went to every morning. After doing some research, we saw that Ogunquit was about a 45 minute drive away. We stayed over in Old Orchard for four nights, and the third and fourth nights of the trip, we went to dinner in Ogunquit at a good Italian restauran called Angelina's and another good place which I forgot the name of, but It was an old converted house into a restaurant. Ogunquit was beautiful. The beach there is great, and they have a nice little downtown area you can walk around that has various shops and restaurants. I wished we stayed there instead, but overall, It was a good trip, and I got to see new places.

Reaction Score
I actually went to Old Orchard Beach last August. It was the first time Ive been in the state of Maine. I was very skeptical at first because we were supposed to go down the Jersey Shore, but the place we were staying lost power because of the bad storms last August so we needed a quick “Plan B”. The other family we were going with suggested Old Orchard because they have not been in like 20 years, and the Maine Covid numbers were relatively low at the time.

We ended up staying at the Copley LaReine Motel which is right on the beach. We had a room with an ocean view which was nice. Like others have already pointed out, the hotels are not exactly 5 star resorts, but overall the place was clean, and for a nice ocean view, it was not bad. The only issue I I had with OOB was the food situation. It did not seem like there were many places to go for a nice lunch or dinner in Old Orchard. The Pier looks cool, but inside there are a lot of what seemed like run down bars/restaurants. Good Thyme Cafe was good for breakfast which we went to every morning. After doing some research, we saw that Ogunquit was about a 45 minute drive away. We stayed over in Old Orchard for four nights, and the third and fourth nights of the trip, we went to dinner in Ogunquit at a good Italian restauran called Angelina's and another good place which I forgot the name of, but It was an old converted house into a restaurant. Ogunquit was beautiful. The beach there is great, and they have a nice little downtown area you can walk around that has various shops and restaurants. I wished we stayed there instead, but overall, It was a good trip, and I got to see new places.
Yeah, Ogunquit and OOB are like 2 opposite ends of the spectrum of beach towns in Maine. Ogunquit and Kennebunkport are more my style.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Angelina's is great but in the summer it can get crazy. Was the other restaurant Joshua's? Pricey but fantastic food and the owners are very good at making sure every meal is great. Been going there and Angelina's for years. There is a sports bar on Rte 1 in Ogunquit named Stutesey's that is a great place for food

Reaction Score
Angelina's is great but in the summer it can get crazy. Was the other restaurant Joshua's? Pricey but fantastic food and the owners are very good at making sure every meal is great. Been going there and Angelina's for years. There is a sports bar on Rte 1 in Ogunquit named Stutesey's that is a great place for food
I loved Angelina's. I was not expecting to have an Italian meal at all that trip, let alone a very good one, so that was a surprise. They have a really good menu, especially with the apps and cheese boards. The other restaurant was the Old Village Inn. It was good but simple, which is what I needed after loading up on fried seafood the first couple days. I want to go back to Ogunquit this summer, and I will keep those places Joshua's and Stutesey's in mind.

Reaction Score
I lived near there for two years. It is ok. I guess. Nothing spectacular.

Reaction Score
Done it many times - was one of my husband's favorite spots to bring guests that had never been there before. Area near Melvin Village was tricky. Used to ski behind Timber and fish near Nipple Rock, off of Bear or near Pitchwood.
Probably had to go through the Graveyard to get there?

Reaction Score
Probably had to go through the Graveyard to get there?
Yes indeed - dont miss bouys on that Lake. We had a reef we had to avoid getting into our dock - could be tricky by the end of the summer.
Remember one year when the water was particularly high so they were letting water out. The channel between the Lake and Paugus Bay was one way due to the current. Had to wait your turn to go through

arch

Reaction Score
Same here and in the same area. If you're up there around July 4th and see someone walking around Naples in Husky gear with two young kids in tow (also wearing Husky gear), it's probably me.
Food desert.

Reaction Score
My situation is that I will have two very hard to please ppl with me. While my daughter likes the beach, she's not someone who's going to want to spend forever there and will need something cheesy to appease. My wife loves the beach, but will also need something adventurous to do that is the antithesis of cheesy. I just like to relax. From your responses, I feel like OOB will be a little "low-brow" for my wife. I'll check out Ogunquit.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Food desert.
You're not wrong but we're there usually for mini golf, Songo River Queen rides, light shopping if we need bathing suits/life vests, ice cream, etc. We're not going for fine dining.

arch

Reaction Score
You're not wrong but we're there usually for mini golf, Songo River Queen rides, light shopping if we need bathing suits/life vests, ice cream, etc. We're not going for fine dining.
Same here. Sea coast Adventure mini golf isn’t bad. Little Sebago is relatively quiet. An hour or so and you’re at 5 Islands for good seafood.

Reaction Score
My situation is that I will have two very hard to please ppl with me. While my daughter likes the beach, she's not someone who's going to want to spend forever there and will need something cheesy to appease. My wife loves the beach, but will also need something adventurous to do that is the antithesis of cheesy. I just like to relax. From your responses, I feel like OOB will be a little "low-brow" for my wife. I'll check out Ogunquit.
Check out Kennebunkport also.

Reaction Score
3rd of 4th vote for North Conway area. We did that vacation 3-4 summers running when our kids were little and with mix of ages (6yrs separation) it worked well to mix in Storyland with Attitash and other activities (hikes, train ride, lift up Cannon, ride up Mt Washington etc..).

Reaction Score
How long will you be staying ? I've been going to Saco which is the next town south of OOB, and for all intents has the same beach as OOB, for the last 15 years. I use a rental property and there are many in Saco at various price ranges and number of occupants allowed, however
most if not all require a min stay of 1 week. Not aware of any hotels on the beach area in Saco, so if you have a short stay OOB might be a better choice.

Saco is smaller, less crowded and although not as nice as Kennebunkport or Ogunquit , offers a good middle of the road choice all within a few miles of the pier in OOB, Funtown and Splashtown and a number of mini-golf places. Also, it is definitely less touristy and has more of a small town feel to it while still having the Maine coast advantages of cold water and traffic.

I second Hooper's recommendation to check out Kennebunkport as well. Great place with some really good restaurants and a number of beaches close by.

Reaction Score
We will only be doing a few days and as you said, many places have a week minimum. I do prefer Ogunquit. Kennebunk would price us out but would be nice to go check out.

Reaction Score

Ogunquit is beautiful with a lot of excellent restaurants. The beach is beautiful but the water is COLD

Reaction Score
We will only be doing a few days and as you said, many places have a week minimum. I do prefer Ogunquit. Kennebunk would price us out but would be nice to go check out.

Definitely check it out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Haven't been to OOB since the 80s. Had been there as a kid in the 60s and enjoyed it. But when I went back 20 years later, it was kinda tawdry and the official language was Quebecois. I'd be somewhat surprised if it got better. And water temps were in 50s in July.

Might be better off in Hampton Beach in NH?

Regarding Sebago, do they still have a lot of seaplanes there? As a kid I used to be fascinated watching them take off and land. My dad was planning on buying a motel either on Sebago or in/near Franconia Notch but died before he could pull it off. Love the area, hiked there for years, probably my favorite place in northeast US.
There are! Most of them actually take off from Long Lake in Naples which is technically not Sebago but they cruise the area.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Done it many times - was one of my husband's favorite spots to bring guests that had never been there before. Area near Melvin Village was tricky. Used to ski behind Timber and fish near Nipple Rock, off of Bear or near Pitchwood.
Never have done Sally’s gut looks cool! We go through Hole in the Wall sometimes on our way back from Wolfsboro and speed through the Graveyard!

Reaction Score
Ogunquit is beautiful with a lot of excellent restaurants. The beach is beautiful but the water is COLD
Yes, that would be the only negative about Ogunquit is the cold water. I tried to head in the water, and It was so cold that it hurt.

Reaction Score
Yes, that would be the only negative about Ogunquit is the cold water. I tried to head in the water, and It was so cold that it hurt.

We were there in late July 2 years ago and it wasn't bad at all, at least at low tide. The outflow from the river provides warm water, so it's not as cold as OOB.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you go in the summer check out the channel behind Ogunquit Beach. Buy yourself a cheap inner tube, when the tides change you can ride the waters that will be warmer -especially if the tide is heading out.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I loved Angelina's. I was not expecting to have an Italian meal at all that trip, let alone a very good one, so that was a surprise. They have a really good menu, especially with the apps and cheese boards. The other restaurant was the Old Village Inn. It was good but simple, which is what I needed after loading up on fried seafood the first couple days. I want to go back to Ogunquit this summer, and I will keep those places Joshua's and Stutesey's in mind.
Old Village- we eat in the bar there - their lobster bisque is award winning and they have great sliders and Lobster Mac n Cheese. They used to have a good breakfast but haven't eaten in the morning there in the last few years - The Greenery and The Cove Cafe are best breakfast spots - I'll see whats open and still in business next week -

Reaction Score
Never have done Sally’s gut looks cool! We go through Hole in the Wall sometimes on our way back from Wolfsboro and speed through the Graveyard!
Hole is good also, Sally's Gut is another level. My son used to sit in the front of the bow rider and help navigate, esp when the lake was really low. I believe there were a few years over the 35 + of me going there when my husband wouldn't even attempt it.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Hole is good also, Sally's Gut is another level. My son used to sit in the front of the bow rider and help navigate, esp when the lake was really low. I believe there were a few years over the 35 + of me going there when my husband wouldn't even attempt it.
I think we'll give it a try when the boat goes in in June!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom