Old but famous bands today; worth seeing? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Old but famous bands today; worth seeing?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can concur with Walsh and Wilson from recent shows but I would bump Trick up a notch. I didn't see them so long ago and I thought Zander could still belt it. I want to see them again but I'm not going to see Rod Stewart at gunpoint.
I've seen them about 7 times in the last 15 years. They've still got it. Zander can still sing. They were always a live band, not really a studio band and it shows. Nielsen does have his kid playing bass now, kind like Van Halen did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On which Paul McCartney show do you base that? I saw him at MSG in September 2017 and thought it was a great show. He was in very good voice with great energy; he had a crack band as always; and as I recall the show was close to three hours:
Debbie Harry lost the ability to deliver on "Maria" in the course of just two years when she was in her 60s. These things can happen quickly when you're ancient. It's been five years since you last saw McCartney, and based on your comment "very good voice", it would seem to me that Sir Paul went downhill by 2018, and now it's 4 years later.

I'd base it on this:

Sorry, his voice is awful in this.

About the only person that's kept their voice into the 80s is Tony Bennett. And that may have been a deal with the devil given his other issues.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Debbie Harry lost the ability to deliver on "Maria" in the course of just two years when she was in her 60s. These things can happen quickly when you're ancient. It's been five years since you last saw McCartney, and based on your comment "very good voice", it would seem to me that Sir Paul went downhill by 2018, and now it's 4 years later.

I'd base it on this:

About the only person that's kept their voice into the 80s is Tony Bennett. And that may have been a deal with the devil given his other issues.

I think voice can also vary by the night, especially as you age, and especially over the course of a tour.

I am not huge on YouTubing as an accurate gauge of anything but I skipped around the video (as much as the interminable ads would allow) and his voice did sound rough, but again I don't know if that was temporary, etc.

As much as I don't like the turn Van took during the pandemic, the bastard is still in great voice at 76.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
While not a rock star, I saw Del McCoury well into his 70s and he still sounded fantastic. He's 83 now, not sure if he's still singing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've seen them about 7 times in the last 15 years. They've still got it. Zander can still sing. They were always a live band, not really a studio band and it shows. Nielsen does have his kid playing bass now, kind like Van Halen did.
I know you know this, the kid's on drums after they sacked Bun E. Carlos.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I know you know this, the kid's on drums after they sacked Bun E. Carlos.
Yeah, that's it, my mistake. VH sacked David Anthony so Wolfy could play bass. Bun got shelved here. I thought that was crappy (in both cases) but I heard Cheap Trick still pays Bun.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I'd base it on this:

Tom Jones has still got it. At least when I last saw him. He was 78 then I think.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Tom Jones has still got it. At least when I last saw him. He was 78 then I think.
I hope there aren't 70 year old women throwing panties at him. Or Depends.

Given he's a local icon, another guy who's still got his voice at 79 is Donnie Iris.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I hope there aren't 70 year old women throwing panties at him. Or Depends.
I've mentioned before that early in the pandemic I got hooked on the BBC Desert Island Discs podcast and used to listen to them on my daily walks. The one with Tom Jones was definitely one of the more interesting and memorable ones. He was diagnosed with TB when he was 12 and spent two years in bed, which was fascinating in and of itself. Anyway, a very good listen (also available wherever you get your podcasts):

PS: I fell in love with Kirsty Young, the host, during my stint of listening to the show.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's it, my mistake. VH sacked David Anthony so Wolfy could play bass. Bun got shelved here. I thought that was crappy (in both cases) but I heard Cheap Trick still pays Bun.
What I find ironic is that since they canned him a case can be made he's produced more good new music than Cheap Trick. As a part of Tinted Windows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom