Olander and Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olander and Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is typical of the Boneyard that people who don't really disagree seem to be arguing. So, let's clarify.

I feel that what TO brings is a known commodity. Nobody is going to stop coaching him and I hope he keeps working. Still, I do not expect game experience can improve his game.

The other players are freshmen and a sophomore. They do have upside and they are the future, later this year and forward. They need game experience. Therefore, I suggest play TO when his play suits the game or his fouls are needed. Late in a blow out, giving others floor time is in the team's best interests. I trust Tyler will bring what he has when he is called.

I disagree about the morale of UConn athletics. Football has growing pains, but HCPP is done. The men's soccer and field hockey made the school proud.

My main interest is in the men's hoop program. I am very high on its future and think the transition to Kevin Ollie has played out to be a best case scenario. I like the style of play, the earnest approach and overall classiness of the program.

True, Bazz and Giffey cannot be replaced, but Purvis, Hamilton and Cassell, plus possibly Boatwright and Daniels, plus the development of the the young members of the front court doesn't leave me depressed. I think you imply that it is all or nothing this year and next year we rebuild. There are some great pieces and we will be in very good shape if Boat and DD return. If they do not, we will have achieved to our max to get them into the first round.

Boatright will return and DD more probably than not regardless of this years end product. DD could still blow up this season and declare. That is my sincere hope because it would mean UConn is challenging for a #1 or #2 seed in March (like you mentioned). Phil Nolan isn't developing that's the problem. He is young though and obviously a quality kid character wise. The Purvis/Boat tandem we will have to wait and see on. I don't think it is all or nothing per se. It tends to be cyclical though and with the Bazz/Giff/LK threesome (Seniors) it appears to me that this team has the legit shot. Boat is a wildcard though for next year. Some potential is there to break out running the show. Dham can't wait but I never bank on true Freshman.

No doubt KO is best case solution after JC left. No question there. He will ultimately recruit with the best. Realignment was depressing but I hold out some hope for the AAC as a hoops conference.

Three UConn baseball players are expected to start next year in the majors and another in triple A could be called up. That is exciting on the baseball front. Congrats also to soccer and field hockey. I still see the urgency for the team to make a big statement this basketball season.

JMHO...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tyler is a good player who might be a starting power forward and leading scorer on a team like Fairfield or Quinnipiac or Central Connecticut. His skills fit the 4 and are offensive in nature. On this team, there are at least 6 better scorers and he'll never get to exercise his scoring abilities; and we have an excellent PF in Deandre and available time at the center which he just isn't good at. The team needs defense and rebounding and those are his weaknesses. It's understandable that he's dissatisfied because his skills don't fit the team and his career hasn't developed as he probably hoped it would. But, he has to overcome that disappointment and give his all to provide the team what it needs. One thing it needs is a positive spirit and work ethic and cheering for his teammates.

Maybe he sacrificed 4 years as the big man on campus at schools like those you mentioned. Still, 5 years from now, particular memories will fade and he will still be dining on the fact that he is a Husky for life who played for Calhoun and Ollie. And, he will always have one shining moment and the ring to prove it! I think a "Greatest Of All Time" at lesser schools would envy that.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
TO was put into the lineup to replace Brimah under 3 min to play on a dead ball whistle against FLA. He was brought in specifically to body up Patrick Young because Brimah hadn't shown the ability to keep young from receiving the ball so close to the rim. To repeat, TO was a defensive substitution for AB in crunch time against Florida. That says something about the confidence of the coaching staff at this time.

Now. On that same play he fouled out and gave up a bucket and 1 to young. Just sayin :)

He fouled out on stupid play too... lowered his arms. He does this far to much for me. You'd think after 4 years of college basketball he'd know how to keep his arms straight up in the air. It's too bad to because it negated the largely decent defense he had played on Young.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
He needs to be seeing the most minutes not for what he is right now, but for what he can become. Even if he becomes more efficient in the most very basic aspects of basketball - such as catching the ball in traffic, securing rebounds, anticipating the ball, etc. - it would be enough to take his game to another level. Brimah is a bit of a wild card, because, unlike Phil Nolan and Kentan Facey - who figure to be solid contributors throughout their career, but haven't displayed the jaw-dropping spurts of dominance -, we have no idea how steep the learning curve is going to be. He's literally been playing basketball for four years - he could be an 8 point, 6 rebound, 5 block guy by March for all we know. Hell, I've already seen impressive progressions in his game that generally take big men as inexperienced as he is a bit longer to grasp. Yes, he's a bit over-zealous at times, but his foul rate is way down from where it was earlier in the year, and rather than trying to swat everything in sight, he's picking and choosing his spots a bit better.

Agreed, but Brimah was exploited by Patrick Young in the FL game. He needs to be able to defend his position before he can get any more time tan he's already receiving. KO needs to bust out the buckets of sand to work on his hand strength for grabbing rebounds and holding onto rockets fired at him by Bazz & Boat. Nevertheless, love his energy, help defense, and ability to make a basket (jump hook / dunk). With really had work, he has the potential be the next Thabeet .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyThief

Top Bottom