OL Next Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OL Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
hardcorehusky said:
Levy came in as a bit of a project and is still developing. Knappe is still learning and has more upside. My concern is that this group isn't physically overmatched. It is mentally when it came to picking up blitzes and coordinating themselves past basic. We didn't do conventional screens often. No sweeps. Blitzes weren't picked up and identifying who to block was and has been an issue.
I hope we can get to the next level with the offensive line.

Ding, plus I think they drop their technique at times. I don't doubt they are all big and strong enough. Need to play correctly and together. If one guy misses an assignment they all look bad.

Reaction Score
Levy came in as a bit of a project and is still developing. Knappe is still learning and has more upside. My concern is that this group isn't physically overmatched. It is mentally when it came to picking up blitzes and coordinating themselves past basic. We didn't do conventional screens often. No sweeps. Blitzes weren't picked up and identifying who to block was and has been an issue.
I hope we can get to the next level with the offensive line.

I was never sold on Levy and Knappe at either OT spots.. but, they have a chance to go out on top... make it a special SR year.. put it all together.. that, I'm rooting for. Could both do some things next season that could put them in a position to potentially play on Sundays (at least be on somebody's roster as a backup)

Reaction Score
Running back is a position where a freshman can prosper. It's just getting down the pass blocking that is difficult. The running part is usually natural talent.

While I agree with that, pass blocking is no small piece of the equation and it takes some physical development.

Also, we had great success with Brown, Dre, Frey, etc. red shirting. Todman played effectively as a true frosh, but his speed was exceptional. Newsome was badly in need of a shirt, but Diaco just didn't have the luxury.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think that the offensive line will take another big step forward before 2016. We saw the effect that a year in Diaco/Bialis's system had, making the team into stronger, fitter football players. In the trenches is where this strength makes the biggest difference, and the OL still has room to grow. Last offseason, they learned how to work out and get in shape. This offseason will be about maintaining that and taking it to the next level. There are some huge young men in there, and they are going to be pushing around defenses before their time in Storrs is up.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that the coaching shuffle might not have given our coaches time to evaluate and fully implement the techniques needed to get these guys on the same page with respect to timing and assignments. Years 1 and 2 both brought changes. If we can go through year 3 without coaching changes that cause further adjustments in those areas they can concentrate on development of timing, technique and assignments. That could be a bigger element than just the physical strength and conditioning, although we know Coach D isn't going to let any aspects of healthy living slip by.

OT: The timing couldn't be better:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ton-college-football-1014-20151013-story.html
And the depth chart:
http://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...e-football-depth-chart-for-florida-state-game

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As for attrition, it looks like Floyd and Rugg are gone, along with Clax. Likely to be a couple more soon imo.

Reaction Score
If Rutherford is not going to start next year, and he's as good as we kee hearing, I would hope that he would be able to redshirt next year, and have two years of eligibility when Levy and Knappe move on, rather than spend another year of eligibility blocking for place kicks and taking two or three snaps a game at FB.

Reaction Score
I think with the line returning it's all mental. Physically the are fine, it's when,someone blitzes or stunts is when most of the problems occur. IF they can get that together they will be fine. And from what I've seen samra was one of the biggest offenders on inside blitzes and he will be done.

Reaction Score
chuck shick said:
I think with the line returning it's all mental. Physically the are fine, it's when,someone blitzes or stunts is when most of the problems occur. IF they can get that together they will be fine. And from what I've seen samra was one of the biggest offenders on inside blitzes and he will be done.

It is alot more than just mental. Technique and agility have been a problem. Strength as well.

Guys, the line was really bad.

Reaction Score
Put me down :

LT PEART
LG VECHERY
C CROZIER
RG ???
RT THOR

Reaction Score
I think Levy would be an above average guard. I keep saying it. I think putting him out on an island at LT hurts him.

Agreed.

C - Crozier
G- Levy, Hopkins
T - Thor, Rutherford

If someone else steps up that's great. Having 1 solid backup ready at each position would be ideal. Bunch of guys should be in the mix as #2's.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I will wait until the spring game is done before jumping in on who starts or not, but my guess is that UConn will have a couple of new starters on the offensive line next September.

I think Rutherford will start somewhere along the line next year

Reaction Score
I think Levy would be an above average guard. I keep saying it. I think putting him out on an island at LT hurts him.
I think moving Levy inside would benefit him and our team tremendously; HOWEVER, I don't believe putting Peart at starting OT is any better. That's Levy as a young pup all over again. He'll get eaten alive by those grown men DL from the other schools we play next season. We have a chance to have one of those magical seasons in 2016. Hopefully we can get a FBS P5 Grad OT where therw was a coaching change and the kid has some ability or a high level playing OL form the FCS level GS or a JUCO kid who can impact our OL now. We dont have tjat now.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I'm positive a lot will change come next Fall, but current depth chart is:

LT 71 Levy, Richard RS JR 65 Peart, Matthew FR
LG 62 Hopkins, Thomas RS SO 73 Hashemi, Steve SO
OC 58 Vechery, Brendan RS SO 75 Oak, Daniel RS FR
RG 60 Samra, Tyler SR 70 Bockeloh, Kyle RS JR
RT 53 Knappe, Andreas RS JR 77 Rutherford, Trey SO

Samra graduates, Crozier comes back from injury, and you get Peart and Cespedes taking off their redshirts. If Vechery and/or Oak can hold down the Center spot, and Crozier can play guard, could be interesting. Levy and Knappe need to improve a lot this Spring or they will get moved out by one of the young'ens.

If this group can gel and become consistently average (which, IMO, will be a big improvement) this team could be really good

cespedes still has a long way to go, don't get me wrong he has come a long way from where he was this time last year, IE filled his frame out and his footwork seems a bit better but he still looks like an awkward body out there during warm ups, not quite used to his size/ body yet. it will all come with time, I would expect to see him maybe jr yr and on.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder about the effect of not playing the sport growing up or playing much later as a kid has on whole entire units of a team like the OL?

Reaction Score

IMHO ... I wouldn't say it's all mental. but I think their struggles are 65% mental 35% physical. O-Line is one of the most difficult positions on the field to mentally prepare and game plan for. Try going from one side of the line to the other in mid season .... not a lot of guys can do that at the college level. It is a total mirror image of muscle memory and instinct. This is not the NFL where linemen have more time to adapt. It took Donald Thomas until his 4th year in the NFL before he could competently play both guard positions.

Physically man for man they pass the eye test. But most of their problems this year arose from blitz packages and stunting D-linemen. Protection recognition and reaction was a major weakness.

This was a young O-Line with a few years of catching up to do, and they definitely improved this season. The additional practices and the Bowl game will go a long way in helping their repetition, continuity, and familiarity. And the 2nd level of the depth chart is being pulled along too.

My guess L to R: Levy, Hopkins, Crozier, Rutherford, Knappe

Reaction Score
IMHO ... I wouldn't say it's all mental. but I think their struggles are 65% mental 35% physical. O-Line is one of the most difficult positions on the field to mentally prepare and game plan for. Try going from one side of the line to the other in mid season .... not a lot of guys can do that at the college level. It is a total mirror image of muscle memory and instinct. This is not the NFL where linemen have more time to adapt. It took Donald Thomas until his 4th year in the NFL before he could competently play both guard positions.

Physically man for man they pass the eye test. But most of their problems this year arose from blitz packages and stunting D-linemen. Protection recognition and reaction was a major weakness.

This was a young O-Line with a few years of catching up to do, and they definitely improved this season. The additional practices and the Bowl game will go a long way in helping their repetition, continuity, and familiarity. And the 2nd level of the depth chart is being pulled along too.

My guess L to R: Levy, Hopkins, Crozier, Rutherford, Knappe
I agree with your prediction as to our 2016 starting offensive line. A big concern would be that we would be losing two starting tackles after the 2016 season. If Pert is slotted to be one of the tackles in 2017, then who would be the other tackle? If Diaco followed the advice of some of the members of the boneyard, Rutherford would be one of the starting tackles in 2016 and Levy would be moved inside. ( I don't see that happening but you would be losing only one starting tackle after the season if that move was made.) In any case it will interesting how the first string and back up lineman are slotted for next year.

Reaction Score
Here's an older piece about the OL that as me thinking even a little more about Hashemi because of his growth between seasons and the athleticism we know he has. If that's been lacking he could be in the mix

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/08/looking-at-center-position-at-uconn.html

Also as regards the Crozier injury (seems to be an an ACL) it's interesting that ND has a NT coming back from an MCL for their Bowl Game vs OSU. Giving Ryan the time he needs should make for a full Spring participation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Peart may not be a starter from game 1, but something tells me he gets about 30-40 snaps/game at either tackle position. If he is up to weight, I wouldn't be surprised if he supplants Levy. As well as Vechery has played and how the staff had been touting Oak, They will probably be key to the rotation on the interior.

Reaction Score
Levy had some tough games. As a RS SR, i hope he can fix it this season. Samra also had some really rough spots, but he's gone.

Peart, and Rutherford will be pushing for time at the Tackle spots.

To me, in a perfect world (and because i'm a grass-is-always-greener kind of dude), the young guys will improve so much that they will supplant their older peers and the OL will look like:

LT- Peart
LG- Crozier
C- Oak or Vechery
RG- Vechery or Hopkins
RT- Knappe or Rutherford

But in my mind these things make sense...less so in real life

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here is my concern - if Rutherford had such an upside, why didn't we play him more. Have him split time with Samra, go to tackle? If we are in win now mode, the Redshirt Freshman backs up the senior until he shows he is better than the senior. So before we bestow starting spots to Rutherford and Peart, let's see them win in in practice and perform on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom