OL Next Season | The Boneyard

OL Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just musing about the OL for next year and wondering who's got a chance to step in as well as the prognosis for Crozier. Here's the list from the UConn FB website.

04fgQmJNMZzCK1oJaefGIjnqwYgJ8-nXGiTDQJ8qx6_vbxjgpzh4VMz8HqrvogFcnB3XVTW7VeDmtgADRM6xODEj24lKZwnMsq0IErzBe86tXfGNwcPd4hx7VZEFJePSFIUQlSJ5cUt0F9OrQJLdOrxG4FC1_AbdvlgkCxdGvXU8Lsiai56s08KYwDaWvvImgpSZZYBC-8HM5jrAA3PcigHt0UE9t2yq5gd1Xb5j4_N3efoAJ-5yGJah3HRylDSIwF5Ok36vNXrKLjGnOZVFYxgKXsmg-aSjBE-dHZOiPU4mHdFt2XtadFYuSGsS4HJWWhxEhWCnCSsbD1v3EVVxAfFgdAAKj1jhjy1QZsJ0tXjV5mcpNlHAPJT5WOuPpReIlMel-wEnVhPNSxLMb5NJnGotNbnipuJ3CxBy-FMOluNsEep7_lTSRc-yHSSjAOXf99uk-yv4Hh-W-GD1YQugGju5JNdSDSFk4-pMtSlvEL5HX73W7lFTL-pZURUIM2pKPwSpb5a3WCsgb9xRV7VAx2yHP1M75EcJXnHoybsfIFmIjULsalh1YlUCive74cEkXAFc=w720-h433-no

Reaction Score
Just musing about the OL for next year and wondering who's got a chance to step in as well as the prognosis for Crozier. Here's the list from the UConn FB website.

04fgQmJNMZzCK1oJaefGIjnqwYgJ8-nXGiTDQJ8qx6_vbxjgpzh4VMz8HqrvogFcnB3XVTW7VeDmtgADRM6xODEj24lKZwnMsq0IErzBe86tXfGNwcPd4hx7VZEFJePSFIUQlSJ5cUt0F9OrQJLdOrxG4FC1_AbdvlgkCxdGvXU8Lsiai56s08KYwDaWvvImgpSZZYBC-8HM5jrAA3PcigHt0UE9t2yq5gd1Xb5j4_N3efoAJ-5yGJah3HRylDSIwF5Ok36vNXrKLjGnOZVFYxgKXsmg-aSjBE-dHZOiPU4mHdFt2XtadFYuSGsS4HJWWhxEhWCnCSsbD1v3EVVxAfFgdAAKj1jhjy1QZsJ0tXjV5mcpNlHAPJT5WOuPpReIlMel-wEnVhPNSxLMb5NJnGotNbnipuJ3CxBy-FMOluNsEep7_lTSRc-yHSSjAOXf99uk-yv4Hh-W-GD1YQugGju5JNdSDSFk4-pMtSlvEL5HX73W7lFTL-pZURUIM2pKPwSpb5a3WCsgb9xRV7VAx2yHP1M75EcJXnHoybsfIFmIjULsalh1YlUCive74cEkXAFc=w720-h433-no

From an article earlier today:

>>Diaco has only played true freshmen offensive linemen out of necessity. It's not his intention to play them at all. He and the coaches believe the freshmen need a full year to get ready, and the Huskies have some good young players up front who need to be ready to step in and play next year — like freshman Bryan Cespedes (6-7, 287) out of New London, redshirt freshmen Daniel Oak (6-3, 292) and Matt Peart (6-6, 279). The Huskies coaching staff can't wait to get Peart on the field in games, predicting he'll be one of the best offensive linemen to ever play at Connecticut.

The Huskies lose just one player on their offensive line and return one of their best, versatile Ryan Crozier, who played all along the line as a true freshman and was scheduled to play center this year before a lower leg injury in the summer short-circuited his 2015 season.<<

... and ya need to whack Samra, Gifford and Nwokeji off the list.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We have high hopes for 2016 and most of it depends on how well the OL can play next year. Lots of weight on their shoulders this offseason and heading into next year.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
From an article earlier today:

>>Diaco has only played true freshmen offensive linemen out of necessity. It's not his intention to play them at all. He and the coaches believe the freshmen need a full year to get ready, and the Huskies have some good young players up front who need to be ready to step in and play next year — like freshman Bryan Cespedes (6-7, 287) out of New London, redshirt freshmen Daniel Oak (6-3, 292) and Matt Peart (6-6, 279). The Huskies coaching staff can't wait to get Peart on the field in games, predicting he'll be one of the best offensive linemen to ever play at Connecticut.

The Huskies lose just one player on their offensive line and return one of their best, versatile Ryan Crozier, who played all along the line as a true freshman and was scheduled to play center this year before a lower leg injury in the summer short-circuited his 2015 season.<<

... and ya need to whack Samra, Gifford and Nwokeji off the list.

Wow. That's some big talk about Peart.

Reaction Score
I'm positive a lot will change come next Fall, but current depth chart is:

LT 71 Levy, Richard RS JR 65 Peart, Matthew FR
LG 62 Hopkins, Thomas RS SO 73 Hashemi, Steve SO
OC 58 Vechery, Brendan RS SO 75 Oak, Daniel RS FR
RG 60 Samra, Tyler SR 70 Bockeloh, Kyle RS JR
RT 53 Knappe, Andreas RS JR 77 Rutherford, Trey SO

Samra graduates, Crozier comes back from injury, and you get Peart and Cespedes taking off their redshirts. If Vechery and/or Oak can hold down the Center spot, and Crozier can play guard, could be interesting. Levy and Knappe need to improve a lot this Spring or they will get moved out by one of the young'ens.

If this group can gel and become consistently average (which, IMO, will be a big improvement) this team could be really good

Reaction Score
Wow. That's some big talk about Peart.

I think there's some room between ready to see some time and being the starter. But who knows what happens in the off-season. Next year certainly offers some promise with the return of Crozier and another year of development for the younger guys. We'll have some real depth that's not just a bunch of kids and maybe a couple of battles for starting positions.

Interesting how they love Peart but his old numbers indicate he's the lightest guy of the bunch.

Reaction Score
Arguably this year (although I think we may have ended up a little short). Definitely next year.

You are right. I don't think we would have been there this year regardless. But with the added experience / returning most starters, we should make a serious run at it if we can block.

Reaction Score
I think there's some room between ready to see some time and being the starter. But who knows what happens in the off-season. Next year certainly offers some promise with the return of Crozier and another year of development for the younger guys. We'll have some real depth that's not just a bunch of kids and maybe a couple of battles for starting positions.

Interesting how they love Peart but his old numbers indicate he's the lightest guy of the bunch.
Beatty came in as a 265 pound defensive tackle. The key is how much weight can he gain while still maintaining athleticism.

Reaction Score
At this point, at OT for next season, we need to get Levy and Knappe to play out of their minds for the SR season. We need Crozier back at C and Hopkins and Rutherford at the Guard spots... Because of this group's experience alone we need them to gel and become our 1st team staple for next year... Unless we get a kid that doesn't need to be redshirted to come in and show the ability to take any of their spots.. (JUCO kid or P5 transfer)

There will be a lot of experience on this line next year. Time to put it together in year 3 of the Diaco Regime... and, hopefully, the kids behind them are putting it together as well so they can step in when their time comes... year 4 we should (hopefully) be close to or at next man up status along the OL...

Reaction Score
I see one, maybe 2, potential attrition situations on that depth chart, which makes me believe we need 4 OL for this class.. plus a long snapper on specials

Reaction Score
The OL has come a long way this season and I see further progress next season. We have to hope these young guys develop for depth and to eventually take over.

I would actually like to see a JUCO or 5th year RB come in for next season to compliment Newsome. I just don't see it with RonJon (unless he's been playing dinged) or Mariner. We get the running game really humming, BS going to have a field day.

All good............

Reaction Score
The OL has come a long way this season and I see further progress next season. We have to hope these young guys develop for depth and to eventually take over.

I would actually like to see a JUCO or 5th year RB come in for next season to compliment Newsome. I just don't see it with RonJon (unless he's been playing dinged) or Mariner. We get the running game really humming, BS going to have a field day.

All good..

Running back is a position where a freshman can prosper. It's just getting down the pass blocking that is difficult. The running part is usually natural talent.

Reaction Score
right no, Palatine, which is why, IMO, we need another RB on the depth chart that is a willing blocker, in the form of a JUCO kid or 5th year kid..

Reaction Score
We have 14 seniors moving on. Add Clax and Bradley, that is 16 scholarships to give. 12 are gone. 4 to go.

But there is usually some additional attrition.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Levy came in as a bit of a project and is still developing. Knappe is still learning and has more upside. My concern is that this group isn't physically overmatched. It is mentally when it came to picking up blitzes and coordinating themselves past basic. We didn't do conventional screens often. No sweeps. Blitzes weren't picked up and identifying who to block was and has been an issue.
I hope we can get to the next level with the offensive line.

Reaction Score
We have 14 seniors moving on. Add Clax and Bradley, that is 16 scholarships to give. 12 are gone. 4 to go.

But there is usually some additional attrition.

Save a few for current walk-on rewards...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Clax is a Redshirt Junior, but he was passed over on field by Tackle-eligibles. So he may be graduating in May and 1) transfer for his senior eligibility year, 0r 2) think he may not have a future in football and begin his political career (poli-sci major).

The kid has to do what's in his own best interest. Still has a great name for a football player.

Reaction Score
He gave his mom flowers on senior day. So that's a pretty good (but not absolute) sign he's gone.
Wasn't at the Senior day and he wasn't mentioned in the post game article, although he was in the article before. Yup, he's done here. Wish that kid nothing but the best.. Feel bad for him, along with the others in his class because they went thru 4 head coaches while up in Storrs.. That's a lot...in 4 years.. 4 HC's and basically 3 different philosophies..Edsall actually left before he got there but he was a part of what Edsall wanted to do initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom