Oklahoma to The PAC 12!! | The Boneyard

Oklahoma to The PAC 12!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My take it to the bank contact in Austin just emailed me "OU going to Pac12 (and Texas to follow U heard it here first)"
He has not been wrong yet. I'm at a business meeting in St Louis so I can't follow up but go to it!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This was linked via Yahoo in the "donzo" thread:

One more move and Big 12 is over

Kirk Bohls, Commentary

Should Oklahoma act upon its earnest desires and seek an invitation to join the Pacific-12 Conference — something I'm fully expecting to happen within days, if not hours — that decision could well be the killing blow to the Big 12 while also providing Texas the political cover to follow suit and ask for admission as well.

The Pac-12's not going to ask first. It's been down that road before, led along until the eleventh hour a year ago.

If OU gives notice that it is leaving the Big 12 — or if any of the other remaining eight members do, for that matter — the very foundation of the league would crumble.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Doubtful. OU seems to be linked with OSU, so unless UT goes with a 4th team to make 16 (which is plausible; BYU?) this sounds like just another rumor.

Reaction Score
I don't think this happen,the big 12 is trying 2 lure BYU to the conference,

Reaction Score
Doubtful. OU seems to be linked with OSU, so unless UT goes with a 4th team to make 16 (which is plausible; BYU?) this sounds like just another rumor.

4 teams: OK, OK State, Texas and Texas Tech. Drop the LHN in favor of a regional network hosted by the Pac12. BYU won't be considered because they do not play on Sundays.

Reaction Score
Sweet. Let the dominos fall! The Big East and the B1G should decimate the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
4 teams: OK, OK State, Texas and Texas Tech. Drop the LHN in favor of a regional network hosted by the Pac12. BYU won't be considered because they do not play on Sundays.

This will be one of those moments where people in hindsight will ask: "WTF was Slive thinking adding A&M?" This was a dumb tactical move because A&M isn't that valuable and will barely pay for itself, and it was a worse strategic move because it will start the dominoes tipping that will result in the Pac 12 and Big 10 being clearly superior conferences to the SEC, where right now the SEC is #1.

Reaction Score
The SEC doesn't have a choice. Someone is going to expand to 14 or 16 first. Might as well make the first move. Texas wouldn't want to go to the SEC.

Reaction Score
The SEC office is currently blocked by members from doing what it probably wants, which is adding Clemson and FSU. If someone else moves to 16, Florida and USC east won't have the ability to keep preventing that expansion.

Honestly, Waylon, don't you ever think that "if I'm seeing something that a conference office, working full time to see it, isn't, maybe it's me misreading the situation and not them?"

Reaction Score
This will be one of those moments where people in hindsight will ask: "WTF was Slive thinking adding A&M?" This was a dumb tactical move because A&M isn't that valuable and will barely pay for itself, and it was a worse strategic move because it will start the dominoes tipping that will result in the Pac 12 and Big 10 being clearly superior conferences to the SEC, where right now the SEC is #1.

that's crazy.

Reaction Score
I think what happens next is Kansas and Kansas St. Missouri remains in limbo waiting for SEC or Big10.

Pac-12 is going to also add Oklahoma St and who else? Not Iowa St or Baylor. Maybe Texas Tech.

Losers: Iowa St. and Baylor.

BE: Kansas, Kansas St, TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, West Virginia, ???

Helluva basketball league, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
and away we go...If I'm Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and to a lesser extent Mizzou, I'm shiiiiiting bricks

Reaction Score
Here is another article on this from NBC Sports
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...p-to-pac-12-sooner-rather-than-later/related/

If there is any truth to this rumor what so ever the Big East as it is constructed now will soon be over. There will definitely be a split of football/basketball schools if the football schools all don't find homes elsewhere. I'm glad that we have Pres. Herbst at the helm and Hathaway is retired!

Reaction Score
I don't know how many more of these threads I can take.
Enjoy it. We're watching college athletics history be made. One thing I would be concerned about is the possibility of professional franchises taking over the development of athletes. They already do that in European and South American soccer.

Reaction Score
If this happens and Kansas, K State, Missouri, Baylor, and Iowa St are left hanging, don't expect the ACC to sit back and let the BE grab Kansas and Missouri and maybe others. The ACC has to be proactive given the chance that the SEC will poach one or more from the ACC to even out their divisions and potentially keep up with the PAC-16. Especially the blue blood hoops folks who would want to revive the ACC by adding Kansas. Kansas, Duke and UNC in the same conference would certainly put more focus on ACC hoops.

The BE may find itself in a battle with the ACC for the remains of the B-12.

Reaction Score
We'll have a better payout potential to offer. That is HUGE.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Is the consensus best case scenario for us and the conference to add KU, KSt, and Mizzou, getting to 12 in football, and cutting 4 bball only schools (Seton Hall, Depaul, PC, Marquette) to get to 16 in bball?

I think that's my best case and I've heard this proposal put forth a few times over the last year.

Reaction Score
Is the consensus best case scenario for us and the conference to add KU, KSt, and Mizzou, getting to 12 in football, and cutting 4 bball only schools (Seton Hall, Depaul, PC, Marquette) to get to 16 in bball?

I think that's my best case and I've heard this proposal put forth a few times over the last year.

Jrazz I think you will a football/basketball split before they toss 4 basketball only schools (ESPECIALLY if PC is one of tne 4). If the football schools merge with what's left of the ACC under the ACC name there will be no BCS worries as rhe ACC is an automatic qualifier. This allows the basketball schools to keep the Big East name which I think they have the rights to anyway. If the SEC takes Clemson and either FSU or Va Tech tand the rest merge with the football schools (I'm assuming Rutgers and Pitt go to the Big 10 as was rumored before) becomes the PREMIER baketball conference in the country! Marinatto must be having a bad dream all over again!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The SEC office is currently blocked by members from doing what it probably wants, which is adding Clemson and FSU. If someone else moves to 16, Florida and USC east won't have the ability to keep preventing that expansion.

Honestly, Waylon, don't you ever think that "if I'm seeing something that a conference office, working full time to see it, isn't, maybe it's me misreading the situation and not them?"

Good point. Business and education leaders have a long track record of exceptional decision making. Honestly businesslawyer, don't you ever think that "if I'm seeing the two smartest men in college athletics, Larry Scott and Jim Delaney, move one way, that the guy doing the opposite may be dead wrong?". And Vanderbilt is publicly against expansion. Do you know more about this than Vanderbilt?

Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Okie Lite to the Pac 12 ends the Big 12. The Big 10 will come in, take Missouri and Kansas, and put the screws to Notre Dame. Notre Dame realizes that the option is expiring, and that no matter what happens, it is unlikely that the Big East will be a viable option in the future. Political pressure pulls Kansas State along for the ride (maybe).

Now the Pac 12 and Big 10 are both much stronger and more marketable, and the SEC has Texas A&M to show for it. So they go after the ACC, except now politics and the Big East are in the picture. The Big East begins the no fault divorce, splitting from the Catholics and inviting Maryland and BCU, who join because they know they are not on the SEC's wish list and they know that 3 schools will leave. The Virginia schools are a block, as VT has already signaled publicly, as are the North Carolina schools. The pressure starts to mount on Georgia, Florida and South Carolina to vote against any expansion plan that doesn't get Georgia Tech, FSU and Clemson into the SEC. At the end of the day, the SEC ends up with a bunch of programs that would have been there whenever they wanted and do not move the needle economically or on the field.

The wildcard is ESPN. ESPN could step in and protect the ACC, which will doubly screw the SEC, because by breaking up the Big 12 they sent high quality programs to the Pac 12 and Big 10, and now they are stuck at 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom