Oklahoma to The PAC 12!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma to The PAC 12!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All possible. But just as possible that the SEC adds, Texas Aggies, FSU, Clemson and Va Tech, and remains #1, Big Ten adds Notre Dame (for the reasons you indicated), Maryland, Mizzou and Kansas and moves up to #2, and Pac Ten, even with their additions, settles in 3rd.

Organizations make mistakes all the time, but despite what most think it is the exception and not the rule. You'd be right a lot more than you'd be wrong if you started from the premise that organizations of well paid executives normally act rationally.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All possible. But just as possible that the SEC adds, Texas Aggies, FSU, Clemson and Va Tech, and remains #1, Big Ten adds Notre Dame (for the reasons you indicated), Maryland, Mizzou and Kansas and moves up to #2, and Pac Ten, even with their additions, settles in 3rd.

Organizations make mistakes all the time, but despite what most think it is the exception and not the rule. You'd be right a lot more than you'd be wrong if you started from the premise that organizations of well paid executives normally act rationally.

I have been around a lot of well paid executives. Half got there on talent. And in the real world, unlike a law book, there is not a right answer. Different people see the same set of facts and act differently. It is not a coincidence that the best academic program in the SEC is against expansion.

Your scenario is impossible, because the Pac 12 and Big 10 have the advantage right now because of their own networks. Any school that has a choice of the Big 10, Pac 12 or SEC, will not choose the SEC. Attacking now is foolish. This is sacrificing a queen to get a knight. The right move for the SEC is to do nothing.

Reaction Score
There is rarely a right answer in law either, nelson. The end result may very well be illogical---or not.

Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it
Oklahoma is as good as gone. Only issue is that nobody wants Okie State so politicians might get in the way of any Sooner move

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't anyone want Oklahoma State? They are pretty good athletically and have good fan support. Their TV market, or lack thereof a significant one, will hurt.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't anyone want Oklahoma State? They are pretty good athletically and have good fan support. Their TV market, or lack thereof a significant one, will hurt.
Oklahoma has a much bigger national cache and you get the state of OK by adding them. Okie State adds nothing incrementally

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oklahoma has a much bigger national cache and you get the state of OK by adding them. Okie State adds nothing incrementally

That is not entirely true. There are two approaches to market expansion in business. One, is add new markets. Two is to get market share within existing markets. It is never a clean cut choice, but you generally drive better returns out of a market through share than through extension to new markets. If you can take a market and leave it with no meaningful competition, that will drive more profitability, usually, than having smaller shares in more markets.

Taking Okie Lite drives share in both Oklahoma and in the southern plains generally. Texas Tech and Okie Lite, together with Oklahoma and Texas, drive significantly better share than just one or two teams from that region. Also, college athletics is naturally fragmented in that fanbases do not translate very well to other teams. Oklahoma State fans will never be Oklahoma fans, and if they are in a separate conference, they are not nearly as likely to watch games played by an unaffiliated Oklahoma as they would if they were in the same league.

I think the smart move is to get deeper share within markets. While I mocked the idea of the SEC adding Georgia Tech, Florida State and Clemson, locking down Georgia, Florida and South Carolina markets is not a bad business strategy, as opposed to continuing to split every market in the south.

Reaction Score
So this would be a good or bad thing for us?

I don't see the basketball schools allowing any more football schools to be added or basketball schools to be dropped so bad...
unless what others have said is true that there is language in the charter of this league to allow a split rather easily i can see the big east being left out from all this conference realignment

Reaction Score
I don't see the basketball schools allowing any more football schools to be added or basketball schools to be dropped so bad...
unless what others have said is true that there is language in the charter of this league to allow a split rather easily i can see the big east being left out from all this conference realignment
husky10 the Big East basketball schools will be left out..but the football schools will bail if they can't split. See my above post. The ACC will be the remenants of what ever Big East and ACC schools aren't scooped up by B-10 and SEC. The Big East will be a basketball/olympic sports conference.

Reaction Score

the basketball schools know they're royally screwed if the footballs split. if allowing more fb schools in keeps them in a relevant conference, they'll do it.

Reaction Score
I have been around a lot of well paid executives. Half got there on talent. And in the real world, unlike a law book, there is not a right answer. Different people see the same set of facts and act differently. It is not a coincidence that the best academic program in the SEC is against expansion.

Your scenario is impossible, because the Pac 12 and Big 10 have the advantage right now because of their own networks. Any school that has a choice of the Big 10, Pac 12 or SEC, will not choose the SEC. Attacking now is foolish. This is sacrificing a queen to get a knight. The right move for the SEC is to do nothing.

Two things:
First, I'm not quite sure why everyone is calling TAMU chopped liver. It gives the SEC a stronger presence in TX recruiting. Also, the SEC has become the strongest conference even though it contains just 1 major media market (ATL) + to some extent Miami & Tampa. Houston is the 6th largest metro area in the country and it's growing rapidly. Dallas & San Antonio also come into play.

Second, consider the SEC's long-range planning. It knows that 16-team conferences are likely coming. Who would it want to add? ND, TX, OU, Fla St, VaTech, & TAMU would seem at the top of the list. ND is out. TX & OU seem unlikely. If they turn TAMU down, what do they have to pick from later on? It might be Mizzou and GaTech. I'd take TAMU while it's on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom