Oklahoma State | The Boneyard

Oklahoma State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've talked about for months how big thing game would be. It takes on even more importance now with our 1-2 start and the Gilbert injury last night.

They have scored 100 points in all 3 of their games, but defensively they have had some struggles, and have little to no size. They also don't really have a rim protector. I think they will go zone for most of the game against us.

Evans their PG will be the best player on the floor.

Reaction Score
Agree with all of the above. Also, I'm not sure how accurate Kenpom rankings are this early in the season but we are currently #66 and OKST is #60.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
they won't score 100 on us, hopefully we can take advantage of their defensive weaknesses

Reaction Score
Do they press at all? The way our guys handled a less than solid press by Marymount was actually very scary. People trying to break it by playing faster rather than stopping catching and making a solid pass. Guys were trying to look back and catch one handed on the move, not the way to do it. I am scared of a good pressing team after what I saw in a small sampling the other night.

This team may need to play UConn ugly to hang around with many teams, although they will need to improve their overall defense, guards need to keep guys in front of them much better.

Reaction Score
they're putting up scary numbers, but i am hoping some stout defense can flummox them.

also hope that a win @LMU will charge our offense up a little bit, but we shall see...

Reaction Score
They have very short offensive AND defensive possesion lengths, so I'm guessing they do press.

Found a highlight video. Yes, they do press.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Scared to see us face the press without Gilbert, even though he himself wasn't handling pressure well the other night.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Here is the big problem without Gilbert.b bigger than the press issue which is easily correctable.

Adams was absolutely gassed in the lmu game. His tongue was on the floor.

Chasing Evans around ( even if vital and purvis take some turns) is gonna have him floored.

Reaction Score
They're a smaller team, so I'd wager our best chance is to go big and try to kill them on the offensive boards. That produced our best results vs. LMU.

Reaction Score
They're a smaller team, so I'd wager our best chance is to go big and try to kill them on the offensive boards. That produced our best results vs. LMU.
AB should have a good game. he can catch lobs and block shots, reminds me of that dayton game two years ago. just no 'over the back' calls, he cant get in foul trouble.

Reaction Score

Too many shooters on their end for us to go big? I see multiple guys making shots in the highlights. And if they press and we're big then we'll have less ball handlers. This will be an uphill battle for sure, especially without AG.

But slow them down and play big in a zone? You could be onto something.

#0 looks to be an in the jock defender too.

Last edited:
H

huskymagic

I disagree that Juwan Evans will be the best player on the court. Amida will probably be the best player on the court with Larrier not far behind. We need to guard man to man well especially at the 3 pt line or else play 2-3 zone if our guards are not containing their man on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I disagree that Juwan Evans will be the best player on the court. Amida will probably be the best player on the court with Larrier not far behind. We need to guard man to man well especially at the 3 pt line or else play 2-3 zone if our guards are not containing their man on the perimeter.

Juwan is avg 23 ppg 6asg 4rpg

That might be more than Adams purvis and facey combined

Reaction Score

aren't their ppg's a little inflated though? they have played three 100+ point games! purvis way probably averaging close to 20 after our first three games last year.

Reaction Score

Wow!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

aren't their ppg's a little inflated though? they have played three 100+ point games! purvis way probably averaging close to 20 after our first three games last year.

Yes, to some extent. They're playing games with 80+ possessions per game.

Our quickest game this year had 68 possessions. So deduct about 20% from his total to convert. 18.5 or so. Still a lot.. Also yeah, quality of their opponents has been poor.

This will be interesting clash of wills. We're going to need to get back on D and find shooters in transition. Our D still has been pretty good this year and we really force opponents to work the shot clock, which is the opposite of what OKSt does.

OkSt has about 8 guys that will shoot it from 3, but only 1 (Phil Forte) who will really gun it all the time. I guess one guy off the bench who will stroke it, too. But that means it's important to not give any open shots to anybody.

Reaction Score
the good thing about forte is he is 5'11, so even with purvis and adams lazy close outs, they will have an enormous advantage disrupting his shooting rhythm. Adams should be taking this matchup personally vs evans, there are no excuses because evans is exactly where he wants to be : on nba draft radars, member of the cousy list like JA, and they are the same age/class. Similar to larrier matchup with lydon and cuse. keys in this game : press break, and brimah. they are gonna go all wvu in rico.

Reaction Score
Ok st was picked to finish 2nd to last in the big 12. The 3 teams they have played this year had a combined 29-59 record last year and they are all picked to finish in the bottom half of their respective leagues

I wouldn't put much credence in ok st performance so far this season

Reaction Score
I've watched all of their games so far and if we continue to play how we've been playing, we'll lose by 15+.

Reaction Score
I've watched all of their games so far and if we continue to play how we've been playing, we'll lose by 15+.

Calling bs on this seeing their first 2 games were the same nights uconn played albeit starting hour later.

You also would have to have fox college sports pacific to have watched those games.

Also the 3 teams they played had defenses ranked by Kenpom so far as #329, 349, and 310. Their overall ratings are all in the 300s thus far.

UConn defense is rated #40 thus far

Reaction Score
All 3 of the teams we've played have been significantly better than all 3 they've played.

No matter they scored at will vs theirs we were more to the "will" we score. Our guys will need to pull one out of their respective a**es Monday. But as you said it can be deceiving and they are small so the staff may have some trickery on the way.

Reaction Score
Agreed and looking at Kenpom this early is just silly, your talking about a 2 or 3 game analysis and usually verse awful teams, don't read much into it, let it get a 8-10 game analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom