Oklahoma City and Tulsa Discussed As Potential Hosts For American Athletic Conference Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma City and Tulsa Discussed As Potential Hosts For American Athletic Conference Tournament

Reaction Score
Tulsa is a short drive for WSU fans
That's probably the thinking
A permanent home in a city like NO ,or even Philly are better options.

Reaction Score
There are other options, you know? It's not just Tulsa or CT.

NO
Philly
Memphis
Charlotte
Houston
Even Dallas would be better.
Well they are trying to explore new markets since the others have not been huge successes so throw out Memphis, but yes I agree I like it more than OKC but not sure it has better attendance than OKC would. Charlotte is a horrible idea.

I think NOLA is worth a try, same with Dallas.

OKC you have 4 schools that have fans who can drive there (I did Memphis to Norman for OU Bama and its like 6 hours which is nothing for people outside of the Northeast), which is appealing and its a nice arena, and OKC is a better city to spend 3 days than Hartford or Cincy. I have never been to Tulsa so I cannot comment on it.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen it seems that Wichita state travels well. Would have to think they have the most fans in Orlando this year.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well they are trying to explore new markets since the others have not been huge successes so throw out Memphis, but yes I agree I like it more than OKC but not sure it has better attendance than OKC would. Charlotte is a horrible idea.

I think NOLA is worth a try, same with Dallas.

OKC you have 4 schools that have fans who can drive there (I did Memphis to Norman for OU Bama and its like 6 hours which is nothing for people outside of the Northeast), which is appealing and its a nice arena, and OKC is a better city to spend 3 days than Hartford or Cincy. I have never been to Tulsa so I cannot comment on it.

If the choice were ONLY between OKC and Tulsa, it's a no brainer. Tulsa is a much better city. I worked for a company that got bought out by an OKC based company. They offered many of the employees the option of relocating to OKC if they wanted to keep their jobs. Almost everyone declined, or in other words, voluntarily became unemployed rather than move to OKC. That's how well it's perceived.

Reaction Score
I forgot about NO.

Memphis and Orlando were great venues. The arenas are nice and there's a ton of things to do within a short walk.

Even if the basketball was mediocre the locations give people a ton of other things to do before and after the games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I forgot about NO.

Memphis and Orlando were great venues. The arenas are nice and there's a ton of things to do within a short walk.

Even if the basketball was mediocre the locations give people a ton of other things to do before and after the games

And that's the point of where you have a tournament. You can't guarantee a team's performance, but you can guarantee their fans a good time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yea, KC seems to doing funny numbers with its metro area. The area the KC metro area comprises is almost two times the square miles of the state of CT.

Not really. Wikipedia is counting the whole of several counties that are parly KC metro. I've lived in KC and was born there. It's just a much bigger city than OKC. OKC is growing pretty rapidly though.

Reaction Score
If the choice were ONLY between OKC and Tulsa, it's a no brainer. Tulsa is a much better city. I worked for a company that got bought out by an OKC based company. They offered many of the employees the option of relocating to OKC if they wanted to keep their jobs. Almost everyone declined, or in other words, voluntarily became unemployed rather than move to OKC. That's how well it's perceived.
It would be a heck of a commute if they had accepted the jobs.

Reaction Score
The AAC is still in test-mode. They have no real place to call home for the conference tournament. It's not the worst idea to feel out every area first to see what place draws the most tickets. I'll be honest, the crowd showing at the tournament in Hartford wasn't good. Sure some people showed up to the uconn games... some, but every game should be at least 50% capacity and sold out for the championship game. They literally put up a black tarp over the upper level sections so you couldn't see empty seats in the xl center for the Cinci SMU game. I felt so bad for the players. Still want to give the refs a stone cold stunner every time I think about the semi final Cinci game.

Reaction Score
The AAC is still in test-mode. They have no real place to call home for the conference tournament. It's not the worst idea to feel out every area first to see what place draws the most tickets. I'll be honest, the crowd showing at the tournament in Hartford wasn't good. Sure some people showed up to the UConn games... some, but every game should be at least 50% capacity and sold out for the championship game. They literally put up a black tarp over the upper level sections so you couldn't see empty seats in the xl center for the Cinci SMU game. I felt so bad for the players. Still want to give the refs a stone cold stunner every time I think about the semi final Cinci game.
If UConn was a good team it would have sold out the UConn sessions. In 2015 it was hard to get semi-final and finals tickets. Also, the AAC doesn't help themselves charging over $300 for a strip.

Reaction Score
If UConn was a good team it would have sold out the UConn sessions. In 2015 it was hard to get semi-final and finals tickets. Also, the AAC doesn't help themselves charging over $300 for a strip.

I'm talking about the tournament as a whole. I agree if uconn had a better season more people would show up. So does that mean if we decide to play the tournament every year in Hartford but only show up when uconn does well... That's not fair to the other teams. AAC tournament should sell out every year which is why committee is still testing the waters

And I landed a book of tickets for $60. Where did u buy your tickets?? Lol

Reaction Score
I'm talking about the tournament as a whole. I agree if UConn had a better season more people would show up. So does that mean if we decide to play the tournament every year in Hartford but only show up when UConn does well... That's not fair to the other teams. AAC tournament should sell out every year which is why committee is still testing the waters

And I landed a book of tickets for $60. Where did u buy your tickets?? Lol
I got 2 strips for $30 on StubHub but if you want to buy through the aac they are face value of $300+

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If I go to TripAdvisor, will I find out where to go for the best squirrel surprise casserole?

That would probably be New Orleans. I have a Creole cookbook. It's got squirrel in there at least 3x. And opossum. And bear. And snakes. They'll eat anything.

Reaction Score
Yes, if we had better fans the AAC may be coming back to Hartford, but we don't so they shouldn't.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
What is the future for the men’s basketball tournament?

Aresco: We’re in Orlando in 2018. We’re looking at 2019 and then we’re looking at 2020 through 2022 or possibly 2023. Certainly, Oklahoma City was one of the cities that we’re looking at. We had a number of significant bids. I think the fact we added Wichita probably helped generate interest.

We’re not sure whether we want to anchor the tournament for awhile in one place, or whether we should spread it around and plant the flag in various places. Sometimes when you move around it creates a little bit of difficulty in terms of sponsorship.

Read more here: AAC commissioner: Wichita State, chili, media money and the Power 6

Reaction Score
This tourney should have been played in the Palestra from year 1. It has tradition it was in a major city it was easily reachable from the leading programs in the conference. And it is the right size. Seats about 8500 so the optics will be good on tv. Now the Iviy League has locked it up.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we're the only program in the conference with a large fan base that travels

and us hosting the tournament would have great attendance if we're good, but nobody else in this conference really travels for basketball

PS: Witch St might change that, they may travel well

Reaction Score
Ugh. This is one step closer to having the American host their tournament a week before the major conferences so they get better tv exposure. All of this reeks of mid-major, which I guess, is the direction we are heading.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
b66aa42a-85d3-4c81-bc28-89cb50492d40_211211_CUSTOM.jpg

Meanwhile....

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The problem with the AAC in general is that most of the schools in the conference are football first schools. UH, SMU, Tulsa, UCF, USF, East Carolina and Tulane are all football schools. Yes, SMU has had some recent success with basketball, but it's still a football first school. None of these schools are going to send any appreciable number of fans to a basketball tournament anywhere from several hundred up to close to 2,000 miles away. SMU had a pathetic crowd showing at their NCAA tournament game in Tulsa, a mere couple hundred or so miles from Dallas. Even when the tournament has been in Orlando, UCF and USF fans don't turn out in droves to see it, because they couldn't care less about BB. That's just the way it is.

Since you're not going to attract a sizeable crowd for this tournament no matter where you play it, they now seem hell bent to put it as close as humanly possible to Wichita, KS, thinking that the Wheatshocker fans will save the day. They may or they may not, but you're going to preclude the other BB schools in the conference from showing up for it. As bad as the arena in Hartford is, the crowds were still far larger there than they ever were in Orlando. I think it drew decent crowds the one year it was in Memphis, however I think we knocked Memphis out of it early that year, so the crowds probably dropped off considerably once they were eliminated.

Who in OK City cares anything about the AAC, other than the Tulsa alums who live there? With no local AAC school there, it makes no logical sense, even if it will attract a sizeable crowd of Wichita State fans. So what, we're creating a Wheatshocker's Invitational now? If it's a choice between OK City and Tulsa, Tulsa should be the place. You'll get a decent Memphis crowd there, at least. They travel pretty well.

To me, Memphis, Philadelphia and Hartford, in that order of preference, are the three most likely venues to maximize attendance, because those are the cities with conference schools that are basketball first. Memphis makes the most geographical sense, but the combination of Philadelphia and Hartford being in relative close proximity ought to be the focus. Philly should have any number of available venues.

Another possibility would be the NYC area, if not NYC itself. What about the new arena in Newark where Seton Hall plays? You still get to advertise it as a weekend in the greater NYC area, without necessarily having to pay the crazy prices for hotels in Manhattan, unless you want to. That puts it roughly halfway between UConn and Temple, and NYC is a much better and bigger draw for fans of other schools than anyplace else you can possibly play it. That also qualifies it as a true neutral site since no school is located in the immediate area.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Hartford and UConn had 2 cracks at it and failed miserably. I dont care where it is any longer. It will suck everywhere. Its the AAC.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Wichita wasnt available?

Why not Dallas? At least SMU's fans have been showing up in big numbers at their little bandbox arena on campus. Perhaps that might transfer over to a tournament site pretty well. They could play it at American Airlines Arena. And Dallas isn't much further away than OK City for the hordes of Wheatshocker fans and their scary looking mascot. They can get Six Flags to open the amusement park for the weekend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom