OKC signs DHam to Two-Way Contract | The Boneyard

OKC signs DHam to Two-Way Contract

Reaction Score

NBA rosters will grow from 15 spots to 17 thanks to the addition of a pair of “two-way players” that can spend up to 45 days on an NBA roster.

Under these contracts, which are similar to those used in Minor League Baseball, a player will be able to make an NBA salary on a pro-rata basis while with the parent club, while also being able to earn his G League salary when with the affiliate team.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Why does it feel like Daniel Hamilton was at UConn for 5 minutes?

I remember a couple alley oops to Brimah, that's about it.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Lot of negative feelings about this guy around here because he "left too soon," but the guy was largely responsible for preventing our falling off the map for the two years he gave us.
I mean he was a nice player, had a lot of talent.
The feelings towards him probably have a lot to do with the quality of the team during the time he was here.

Reaction Score
This is not necessarily a positive. At best, he can spend 45 days in the nba. If that happens, he maxes out(assuming 50k camp invite) at 280k for the year. Surely, he could earn more in Europe. In hindsight, one has to view his decision to leave early, atleast financially, as a mistake.

Of note, Josh Huestis who spent almost all of his rookie year and most of his second year in the d-league(similar to what Dham will do) has earned 2.1 mil.

Reaction Score
Lot of negative feelings about this guy around here because he "left too soon," but the guy was largely responsible for preventing our falling off the map for the two years he gave us.

It's not because he left too soon. DeAndre Daniels left too soon, but few people begrudge his choice.

Hamilton is different because he couldn't wait to get out of Dodge and obviously didn't enjoy being here.

pj

Reaction Score
This is not necessarily a positive. At best, he can spend 45 days in the nba. If that happens, he maxes out(assuming 50k camp invite) at 280k for the year. Surely, he could earn more in Europe. In hindsight, one has to view his decision to leave early, atleast financially, as a mistake.

Of note, Josh Huestis who spent almost all of his rookie year and most of his second year in the d-league(similar to what Dham will do) has earned 2.1 mil.

I don't follow. $280k is a good income. No guarantee he could make more in Europe. He gets to develop against NBA competition. Why does earning $280k prove that leaving college was a mistake, when in college he would have made $0?

Also, comparing his earnings to a guy who is (a) four years older and (b) got a guaranteed contract as a first round draft choice makes no sense.

Reaction Score
I continue to wish DHam nothing but the best, but I can't help but think he'd have an 8 figure contract by now if he had stayed four years instead of bolting early and clinging for dear life. Of all the early declarations out of UConn his has always made the least sense to me.

And Yes......I know I'm beating a dead horse.

NBA rosters will grow from 15 spots to 17 thanks to the addition of a pair of “two-way players” that can spend up to 45 days on an NBA roster.

Under these contracts, which are similar to those used in Minor League Baseball, a player will be able to make an NBA salary on a pro-rata basis while with the parent club, while also being able to earn his G League salary when with the affiliate team.
[/QUOTE

Reaction Score
What a **___ sh__hole this place has become.

Are you referring to the AAC or the content of BY comments?

i find this thread mildly entertaining.

I wish D-Ham all the luck in the world. It seemed like college was not his bag and he moved on. A choice all make in life.

Reaction Score
I continue to wish DHam nothing but the best, but I can't help but think he'd have an 8 figure contract by now if he had stayed four years instead of bolting early and clinging for dear life. Of all the early declarations out of UConn his has always made the least sense to me.

And Yes.I know I'm beating a dead horse.

An 8 figure contract? How many seniors got a guaranteed contract this past draft?

Reaction Score
Maybe if he makes some hay in his time on the big roster he gets noticed. I can only see this as a positive for him. Good luck Daniel!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I doubt it. IIRC he was one of the worst athletes for his position at the nba combine.

Reaction Score
I don't follow. $280k is a good income. No guarantee he could make more in Europe. He gets to develop against NBA competition. Why does earning $280k prove that leaving college was a mistake, when in college he would have made $0?

Also, comparing his earnings to a guy who is (a) four years older and (b) got a guaranteed contract as a first round draft choice makes no sense.
its all relative. 280k is not great income if you are a pro basketball player. guys in china are making millions, guys in top tier europe are making 500-750k after taxes. 280 is second or third tier. far from ideal if you have a shelf life. develop against nba competition? he is playing against ryan arcidianco and marcus paige, hardly nba talent.

pj

Reaction Score
its all relative. 280k is not great income if you are a pro basketball player. guys in china are making millions, guys in top tier europe are making 500-750k after taxes. 280 is second or third tier. far from ideal if you have a shelf life. develop against nba competition? he is playing against ryan arcidianco and marcus paige, hardly nba talent.

The supposition of the 2-way contract is that he may get 45 days in the NBA, so he will have his chances against NBA competition. DHam is still young, it's all about development for him. If he were in the prime of his athletic career, late 20s, then you go for the maximum salary. At 21 you go for best development.

Reaction Score
The supposition of the 2-way contract is that he may get 45 days in the NBA, so he will have his chances against NBA competition. DHam is still young, it's all about development for him. If he were in the prime of his athletic career, late 20s, then you go for the maximum salary. At 21 you go for best development.

Again, in his second year as a pro, this isn't necessarily a good thing.
This is a good summary:
HoopsHype explains: How do two-way contracts work?

Most basketball people agree(taken from the article)

Better in theory than practice

"In reality, two-way contracts aren’t some magic pill that will necessarily help teams uncover the next Yogi Ferrell at a higher frequency, and that we’ll see more stories of undrafted players like Wesley Matthews and Jeremy Lin turning into big-time NBA players. Instead, it’s better to think of two-way deals as a highly flawed tool that some smart teams will be able to leverage to their advantage, while most won’t. For players as well, the NBA’s new contracts might end up being harmful in many situations while a few might succeed because of them."

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's not because he left too soon. DeAndre Daniels left too soon, but few people begrudge his choice.

Hamilton is different because he couldn't wait to get out of Dodge and obviously didn't enjoy being here.
Daniels being the second best player on a title team helps

Reaction Score
Hamilton would have gotten at least 2 years @ 1M+ if he stayed and was a 1st rounder, even if he totally sucked a la RJ Hunter

But no guarantee another year in the AAC would have led to anything

Daniels couldn't shoot, had no quickness or handle, couldn't defend on the perimeter. Could have stayed forever and never been able to play in the league. Waste of a pick by Toronto.

Reaction Score

Well let's be real and not forget he felt Larry Terrier coming up on him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom