Okay, you're UConn's new head of athletic marketing - aaand, GO!... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Okay, you're UConn's new head of athletic marketing - aaand, GO!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
yo yo yo where my husky fans at yo yo

Like, big 10 impressions aside, if Michigan comes to the rent and has to endure 3.5 of the "dogpound dj" it has to rank as a low point in UConn marketing history. now that is saying something.
Should we start an email/phone campaign to ban DJ boy from the Mich. game?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I was just listening to pandora during work and in between songs an ad came up that caught my attention.

"Are you a UConn football fan? Have you seen the home schedule this year?"

So I looked down. A nice graphic of Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers and Louisville helmets with our new logo in the middle and the words "the best home schedule. Ever" printed.

It's a nice ad, and it's done on a smart phone app, which are the kinds of ads UConn should be running. I was pleased.

Reaction Score
Just watchd this and I was impressed. However, while there might not be tons, couldn't they have included game footage to excite fans? Practice doesn't quite do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The whole commercial is about "training" .... meaning practice, lifting weights, etc... It fits perfectly

Reaction Score
A huge sign @ Bradley as you exit the secured area of the terminal near the Black Bear Saloon that screams "Welcome to UConn Country!

Make it seasonal... Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, etc...

Can anyone explain why we use "UConn Country" and not "UConn Territory"? It would fit so well with the whole "Husky" thing we've got going. It's always bugged me, but I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason for it that I haven't considered... right?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The whole commercial is about "training" .... meaning practice, lifting weights, etc... It fits perfectly
Yeah I get that. Just think they need to make another with actual game footage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1) FIX THE DAMN RADIO NETWORK. Our coverage is appallingly awful, when compared to other BCS schools. No radio coverage a sizable portion of our own state. Satellite should be seen as a national audience, not a patch to our home audience. Get Fairfield/New London County affiliate pronto, and blanket the whole state. Reach out to get affiliates in MA/NY/RI, as well.

Okay, I know for a fact that my radio is not special. The ones in both my wife's and my car are of the stock factory Toyota variety. Why is it I've been able to tune into games on WTIC-AM in NYC, Preston CT, North Jersey, Albany NY, and Central Worcester County, but the first complaint about Huskies' advertising is about radio coverage?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Okay, I know for a fact that my radio is not special. The ones in both my wife's and my car are of the stock factory Toyota variety. Why is it I've been able to tune into games on WTIC-AM in NYC, Preston CT, North Jersey, Albany NY, and Central Worcester County, but the first complaint about Huskies' advertising is about radio coverage?

I'm not saying you're lying, but there is no way you got any of these at night. Which, of course, translates to just about every basketball game, and a few football games.

day --> http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WTIC&service=AM&status=L&hours=D
night -->
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WTIC&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

One other point I was going to bring up with this, too, is this: What, exactly *is* the UConn Radio Network? I dare you to try to find it on uconnhuskies.com (yes, I know it's buried in the pdf for the prospectuses, but that's not good enough).

Other schools have this easily accessable on their athletics website. Let's take, for example, BCU:
The radio network is on Fan Center --> Boston College IMG radio network
http://www.bceagles.com/ot/bc-isp-affiliates.html

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying you're lying, but there is no way you got any of these at night. Which, of course, translates to just about every basketball game, and a few football games.

day --> http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WTIC&service=AM&status=L&hours=D
night -->
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WTIC&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

One other point I was going to bring up with this, too, is this: What, exactly *is* the UConn Radio Network? I dare you to try to find it on uconnhuskies.com (yes, I know it's buried in the pdf for the prospectuses, but that's not good enough).

Other schools have this easily accessable on their athletics website. Let's take, for example, BCU:
The radio network is on Fan Center --> Boston College IMG radio network
http://www.bceagles.com/ot/bc-isp-affiliates.html
That is true. I'm typically drive to/from these locations on the weekends, which means day game...thx for the clarification.

Reaction Score
For football, I would open the parking lots earlier. They also need to stay consistent with the TD celebration. Half the time they let off a firework, the other times it never went off, seems like they forgot....or they just didn't expect UConn to score a TD since it was so rare last year. I would also try to do something for the pregame, maybe a fireworks display at the night games to excite the kids.

Reaction Score
Should we start an email/phone campaign to ban DJ boy from the Mich. game?
Absolutely. We don't want Michigan fans talking about the DJ ad nauseam when UConn gets mentioned as an expansion candidate.

Reaction Score
I'd get rid of "... what's is spell? Uconn ,louder .. let's go Huskies!!!

Please, please get rid of this.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I'm in favor of sending the entire AD staff/marketing department on an all-expenses-paid trip to a college football game in SEC or B1G country.

Once a year.
Every year.
Until they get this thing right...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No forced Blue - White chant with 100 people in the stands! And definitely not "Whose house? Dogs House!"

Reaction Score
I actually heard an advertisement for UConn Football tickets on Pandora yesterday. Have to say, I like that they're targeting a more tech-savvy crowd using popular applications like that. Plus, I suspect Pandora is a cheaper platform than traditional media outlets.

I've really been enjoying the marketing videos as well. Way better than the old stuff.

Unfortunately I think a lot of these suggestions are sort of pie in the sky stuff. It's a good idea to get everyone in their seats by kickoff, but logistically quite difficult to make drunk students do much of anything.

Overall I think we're moving in the right direction, though I do wonder why we still have the DJ. Was this focus grouped? I mean, who thought this was a good idea?

Was it a voice ad along with a banner?

Reaction Score

Don't know why. But it starts breaking up in Hamden and by Milford it is about dead. In every car I've ever owned. And since I work in the city and sometimes drive if a game isn't on satellite I have no shot picking it up driving home.

Reaction Score
Make the Subway "find the ball" challenge more difficult. No one respects that! Too easy.

New graphics at the XL

Fix the damn ceiling at Gampel

Have two drunk businessmen do the "Dress Like a Husky Challenge"

Band. Band. Band.

Have speakers set up in tailgate areas to blast Celine Dion beginning at ten minutes before kickoff.

Let me do the layup, freethrow, 3pter, halfcourt challenge

Win a date with Noonan.

Reaction Score
Don't know why. But it starts breaking up in Hamden and by Milford it is about dead. In every car I've ever owned. And since I work in the city and sometimes drive if a game isn't on satellite I have no shot picking it up driving home.

UConn itself is in an absolute radio deadzone. Once I hit Andover on my to work in the morning I got nothing but static.

Reaction Score
I get WTIC in Buffalo.

When I lived in Washington DC, I used to hear it down there.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I get WTIC in Buffalo.

Nothing to interfere with the signal from CT to Buffalo (despite what the ACC's idiotic market measurements tell you).

Reaction Score
I would send Kevin Ollie bobblehead dolls to delaney, every president and ad in the big ten. Can't say no to this guy!

pj

Reaction Score
I get WTIC in Buffalo.

At a sufficiently oblique angle the radio waves will bounce off the ionosphere and back to earth. This happens at night.

Fairfield County is too close to receive that way and too distant to receive by direct line of sight. There is a need for a station in Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
I used to get a Cleveland station when I lived in Wisconsin. Doesn't mean I can listen to a UCONN game in Milford. Sucks.

CL82

Reaction Score
Make the Subway "find the ball" challenge more difficult. No one respects that! Too easy.

New graphics at the XL

Fix the damn ceiling at Gampel

Have two drunk businessmen do the "Dress Like a Husky Challenge"

Band. Band. Band.

Have speakers set up in tailgate areas to blast Celine Dion beginning at ten minutes before kickoff.

Let me do the layup, freethrow, 3pter, halfcourt challenge

Win a date with Noonan.
There is some true genius here. Maybe combine these two?

CL82

Reaction Score
No forced Blue - White chant with 100 people in the stands! And definitely not "Whose house? Dogs House!"
Best chant of all time is the U C O N N - UConn! UConn! UConn! When the crowd is behind that, it is amazing. Sometimes I think that the school needs to spend less time making up "new traditions" and more time focusing on the excellent ones that we already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom