Ok...they better get Uconn this year! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ok...they better get Uconn this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm certain you're referring to the South Carolina's and Baylor's of the world, if post defense is the Huskies biggest concern they will be fine. One way to cover up weak post defense is with superior defense by your guards. For the last 3years UConn has had the greatest on ball defender in the history of the women's game, terrorizing opposing guards making it impossible to run their offenses. This is a guards game and Geno went out and recruited two guards who get after it defensively, the man knows what he's doing.

UConn got great post defense out of Stewart and Tuck in both those SC games; Tuck doing a terrific job against Coates and Stewart against Wilson. And you're talking about two freshmen dominating on the perimeter. Let's wait and see how they do.

Reaction Score
They'll need someone to guard the post against better teams. That is the biggest issue, imo.
\
I agree. But yet this is just like the NBA. if UCONN can have Gabby and Collier hit outside shots- - many of the bigs they go against might not be able defend either. And many bigs aren't very good passers. Double team the post- forcing the big to pass.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ah-h-h June. Can't wait for July. This place will be a-frenzy come September.

Reaction Score
UConn got great post defense out of Stewart and Tuck in both those SC games; Tuck doing a terrific job against Coates and Stewart against Wilson. And you're talking about two freshmen dominating on the perimeter. Let's wait and see how they do.
They will have about 33 or so games to get all the kinks worked out before it matters. Geno will have them ready to go by March.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
CARN: Oh Wise One, was it REALLY Isiah who coined that ridiculous expression? Thought it was probably Burke. Doesn't she say it to the point of nausea?

As to Doris Burke - Because I like Doris Burke, I tend to ignore most of her idioms that seem to irritate others. Burke can can a game for me anytime.

As to Isiah Thomas - I've been around the block a few times, but I had never heard anyone use that phrase before I heard him say it. I believe he was an analyst on a sports talk TV program when he uttered that phrase. Others may have said it. He probably got it from someone else, but Isiah was the first person that I heard say that phrase, so I have to give him the recognition of doing so. I've heard others say it since.
I don't question the way people talk, or their dialects. Everybody is from somewhere else, thus we all don't talk the same. Folks from Texas & Louisiana sure don't talk like folks from Boston or New York, yet we're all born in the same country, speaking the same language. :eek:

Reaction Score
I think Nurse is a given and Lil CD has it in her DNA, so I call for the unleashing of the Chong to give us a better chance at a 12th NC. I hope she hears my call. CCCCCHoooooooooong!
I am not nearly as much into Nurse as some of the other Boneyarders. This is not to say that she isn't solid but I don't think I'd ever consider her a go to type player. She is a nice piece but I'm really a lot more likely to think that Dangerfield would be that special player that could make a difference. Nurse can make a special defensive play or a key shot from time to time but I definitely don't think she's THE PLAYER I'd ever depend on at crunch time. Insofar as Chong, her inconsistency and lack of confidence have been a hallmark of her time here. She's a good teammate and has also had her moments but with nowhere near the consistency level of Nurse.

Reaction Score
As to Doris Burke - Because I like Doris Burke, I tend to ignore most of her idioms that seem to irritate others. Burke can can a game for me anytime.

As to Isiah Thomas - I've been around the block a few times, but I had never heard anyone use that phrase before I heard him say it. I believe he was an analyst on a sports talk TV program when he uttered that phrase. Others may have said it. He probably got it from someone else, but Isiah was the first person that I heard say that phrase, so I have to give him the recognition of doing so. I've heard others say it since.
I don't question the way people talk, or their dialects. Everybody is from somewhere else, thus we all don't talk the same. Folks from Texas & Louisiana sure don't talk like folks from Boston or New York, yet we're all born in the same country, speaking the same language. :eek:
There are so many commentators who have beaten some of their pet phrases into the ground that don't seem to get the criticism of Doris Burke which confounds me. I happen to be a fan and like her broadcasts appreciably more than most commentators I've heard covering women's basketball and even men's basketball. Yet she gets hammered her often. Why, I'm not sure!

Reaction Score
Speaking of all other women's teams. And yet, they still might challenge for a title. But I expect the transition with the guards, to be a little bit of a struggle. Unless Saniya breaks out! But...that 2017-18 might be the deepest Uconn team yet. With Dangerfield being seasoned a little and the upper classmen along with transfers! Not to mention recruits...
Wouldn't it be funny if we won it all in "Get back at UCONN year"? Now that would be good for WCBB.:eek:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Yet I am uncomfortable giving Thomas credit for anything positive on a WBB forum. Sorry, to me he's still a turd.

Reaction Score
With Chong, it's always had to do with her defense. She can score offensively. But she gets into Geno's doghouse by not defending well at all times. Very talented woman though and hope she has a breakout year. We can use it!
Isn't offense where they would normally score?? Just busting your chops :)

Welcome to the BY :)

Reaction Score
Chong is too stagnant at the 1. She holds the ball or dribbles too long at the top of the key. She makes a better 2 guard.

Carnac

Reaction Score
With Chong, it's always had to do with her defense. She can score offensively. But she gets into Geno's doghouse by not defending well at all times. Very talented woman though and hope she has a breakout year. We can use it!

You hit the bullseye dead center. There's no conspiracy against Saniya. No one in our fan base (that I know of) is rooting against her. Saniya's inability to play defense to Geno's satisfaction is whats keeping her off the floor. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. Geno has said it several times on his own show (The Geno Auriemma Show) on SNY. I would love to see Saniya start, and play the entire season. BUT.........................If she has not improved her ability to play defense to Geno's satisfaction between now and November, she'll continue to languish on the bench. You've noticed that Collier & Williams (a freshman & a sophomore) get off the bench before she does. Why have they moved ahead of her on the depth chart?

In my humble opinion, Geno still does not trust her. If you noticed this past season, she rarely got in before garbage time. We can have all of the good wishes for her we want to, but it will be up to her whether or not she plays. I personally don't have a preference who Geno starts. I'm just a fan. Geno is no different than any other coach. He's going to put his 5 best players on the floor to start the game. I'm going to root and cheer for whoever is on the floor at any particular time as long as they have on a UConn uniform.

Somebody is going to take Jefferson's spot, that we know. What we don't know right now is who. If you recall the dreaded Stanford game. Chong started, played the whole game and scored 20 points, but as Geno said afterwards, her man scored 30. He benched her and Stokes, and replaced them with Nurse and Tuck. Nurse and Tuck remained starters the rest of the season. That was also the last game UConn lost. Nurse can keep her man in front of her. Geno rarely keeps a player on the floor that's a defensive liability.

KML was not a defensive stalwart. But because of her offensive prowess and capabilities, he could not keep her on the bench. I've seen her man go by or around her too many times to be told other wise. Admittedly, she had her moments on defense from time to time. I like KML, (she's my little home girl, and I still follow her progress in Seattle) but it is what it is. There are 3 openings in the starting lineup. We'll see if Chong can get one of those spots. I hope she can. But remember, Geno employs the old "Smith Barney wealth management company" philosophy (as told in commercials by the late John Houseman) with respect to players getting floor time: "They EARN it". ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be funny if we won it all in "Get back at UCONN year"? Now that would be good for WCBB.:eek:

It would be funny to us, but devastating to the rest of WCBB. I'd love it!! ;)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I don't know C - I listen to some of the political mishmash going on in other states and sometimes wonder if we really do live in the same country... Said with a saddened heart. :(

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yet I am uncomfortable giving Thomas credit for anything positive on a WBB forum. Sorry, to me he's still a turd.

JordyG, I understand your position, and why. I'm not mad at you. :oops:

HGN

Reaction Score
If UConn can get M. Walker, UConn will be unstoppable in 2017-18
Kaizen , I couldn't agree more. Walker , IMHO , holds the key to multiple NC's in the near term for a UConn class that could be rated No.1. Other programs will
drop their collective heads in disgust , knowing that UConn will again go on FF consecutive runs , if Walker becomes a Husky.

Reaction Score
f UConn can get M. Walker, UConn will be unstoppable in 2017-18

:) She'd be a freshman! Maybe make a significant impact and maybe not.

Reaction Score

UConn did a great job defending the high/low play that SC runs with Wilson and Coates, I also think Coates is one of the most overrated players in the game. She really has no back to the basket game, she scores on put backs and drop downs. If she can't muscle you out of the way she is ineffective. Tuck holding her own physically was no surprise. As for Wilson, in her defense got hurt in the 2nd game and missed some action when she was in she scored when she wanted to there is little Stewart could've done to impede that. Aja Wilson is the real deal.

No one said anything about freshman guards dominating on the perimeter, but they both come into Storrs with the reputation for playing in your face defense. I also think you're selling KLS, Collie, Gabby, Butler short. They will continue to get better on both ends of the floor from this point going forward I don't see their post defense as much of a concern.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I also think you're selling KLS, Collie, Gabby, Butler short. They will continue to get better on both ends of the floor from this point going forward I don't see their post defense as much of a concern.

Unless something changes out of necessity, Gabby basically plays perimeter defense now. I don't see KLS playing inside defense much either. Butler is the wide body they need for some stability but she had a lot of foul issues despite rarely playing against starters or high-quality teams. Stewart's ability to change/block shots as well as switch and recover made a really good defense great.

Reaction Score
IMHO I see Saniya & Natalie working their butts off in the off season and coming back ready to succeed!
If UCONN can remain healthy I fully expect them to go to the FF!
Their defense is going to take them as far as they want to go! Some add-ons but the defensive philosophy remains the same, so they'll still hold teams between 42 and 48 PPG and that will ignite the offense which will be scoring 70+ PPG!

Carnac

Reaction Score
If UConn can get M. Walker, UConn will be unstoppable in 2017-18

:) She'd be a freshman! Maybe make a significant impact and maybe not.

Huh.....Mr. Bags, Yes, Megan Walker will be a freshman somewhere in 2017. Every ranked school in Division one hopes she matriculates to their campus. How much of an impact she will have (as you well know) will depend on where she goes. If she (Heaven forbid) goes to a school that does not have the talent level of the huskies, then she may very well start as a freshman. Some players are quick to make that high school to college transition. The more time she spends on the floor, the faster she'll evolve.

I suggest to you that MOST recruits that are ranked #1 in their class, are #1 for a reason, and as such, are highly skilled and highly motivated the day they arrive on campus. In most cases, they make significant contributions to the team that year. Promises made to her (and her family) by other coaches (above or below the table) may also cause her to lean in a particular direction. Every boneyarder knows that Geno does not make deals or promises. Walker will be a prized recruit where ever she goes. We're all holding our collective breaths until September, when she says she will announce her decision. We're all hoping she catches a bad case of "Husky fever" between now and then (if she hasn't already).

I do agree with your observation that if Ms. Walker should choose to bring her talents to Storrs, Geno's 2017-2018 squad would be even more formidable than it's currently projected to be. A pre-season ranking of #1 would not be unrealistic, and I think UConn would take the ball and run. They should be the front-runner the entire season, with the rest of Div. 1 WCBB teams reluctantly giving chase.

It's interesting (and very entertaining) to read the comments of the Boneyarders when an announcement is made that UConn has received a commitment (Dangerfield/Gordon), or has accepted a transfer (Camara /Stevens). We go nuts. I said "we". I'm in the we too. I was extremely happy the rest of the day when the news about Stevens broke. I had to explain to my wife why I was in such a good mood that day. She's not a UConn fan, and has no idea who Stevens is, or her impact/importance on joining the program.

If Walker comes to UConn, this board will go absolutely crazy. Predictions of national championships and record breaking winning streaks will abound. The coaching staff will be praised and toasted if they can reel her in, and get her in the boat. We'd all be grinning like a Cheshire cat. I continue to be encouraged and hopeful by the reports and comments I read here in the yard, that UConn has a very good chance of landing her. We can only hope. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, Carnac, and I'm sorry for the formatting of my previous response, I was quoting (and responding to) another poster who said UConn would be unstoppable with her. My point is that freshmen have entirely unpredictable learning curves. If Stewie hadn't really put it all together in the tournament, we wouldn't have thought her freshman year was so great. No one can predict how a freshman adapts to D-1 competition, college life, and much more intensive coaching, however highly they're praised or ranked in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom