Ok...they better get Uconn this year! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ok...they better get Uconn this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Stewie hadn't really put it all together in the tournament, we wouldn't have thought her freshman year was so great.

True, but part of that was unrealistic expectations, something Walker will have to deal with no matter which school she chooses. Fortunately, UConn will have plenty of talent already in place if she decides to come.

Reaction Score
I look at it as a game of chess with Geno as THE grandmaster. Last year he had the following pieces in play - King=Tuck , Queen=Stewie , Bishop=Lou , Bishop=Collier , Rook=Mo , Rook=Kia , Knight=Gabby. The rest were Pawns. This year he must try and turn the Pawns into the missing major playing pieces by tournament time. Unfortunately there is no Queen among the Pawns - c'est la vie.

Reaction Score
Unless something changes out of necessity, Gabby basically plays perimeter defense now. I don't see KLS playing inside defense much either. Butler is the wide body they need for some stability but she had a lot of foul issues despite rarely playing against starters or high-quality teams. Stewart's ability to change/block shots as well as switch and recover made a really good defense great.

I don't agree with this as an "absolute" statement. You used the word “need” when referring to Butler. They can still win many many games and be a contender threat with a “not very good” Butler. S0 maybe you’re right if it is just “spot minutes” – a “not very good” player still could be “needed.”

And- other things -- Gabby does not basically play perimeter defense - she plays it as needed. If she played perimeter defense then it would have meant that KLS was playing inside defense which you seem to imply she can’t play. Because when she subbed for Morgan Tuck then who was the pf? You can’t have it both ways here. One or the other played inside defense.

Secondly, I'd be very surprised that KLS isn't "aware" that she needs to be more physical which means I'd be surprised if she isn't working on her strength until she can play. Though her leg(s) will be weak - she should be one year stronger (as will Collier). The kids will work on getting stronger.

Third- there are different ways to combat size, - one is through a zone. Two is through a sagging defense like a zone. Three is a gimmick defense like a box-and one or triangle and two. Four- you can double team the post. Five- is to leave a player on opposing team wide open (which even in the final four 2014) that happened when BOTH Notre Dame and Stanford left MoJeff WIDE OPEN daring her to shoot. I’m pretty sure though not certain in 2015 that Notre Dame did that too in 2015 to Kia Nurse. We know if Stokes touched the ball from outside the ft line no one guarded her. So we’re talking about super great teams which opposing teams left others wide open. Why couldn’t this UCONN team do it? It’s not like we’re going against a 2014 or 2015 UCONN team every night.

I think sometimes there gets this belief that the game hasn’t changed. The three ball has changed the game to an extent. But even as far back as the 70’s Tommy Heinsohn spoke about how to combat size is with speed. He spoke of how size can affect the inside 6 feet but there is still another 84 feet. And defense such as double teams – there can be a misperception that if you double the opposing team will automatically swing the ball perfectly and nail the open shot – especially from 3. We aren’t playing pros though. And this college game – the opponent isn’t going to have the luxury of a 7 game series to counter whatever we do (and ofc vice-versa I realize).

Fourth- if the Golden State Warriors who play Draymond Green at center for most of the time at 6.5 – 6.6 in height (see link below his height listed) and get away with it vs 6’10 and 7 foot centers – then the UCONN women in wcbb can get away it too. Yeah they might not win a title because of it- but you aren’t supposed to steamroll every team every year. But we still have a chance to persevere this season even if Butler isn’t very good and/or doesn’t get that many minutes.

2012 NBA Combine: Measurements | NBADraft.net

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think sometimes there gets this belief that the game hasn’t changed. The three ball has changed the game to an extent.

The other night, Golden State destroyed Cleveland in Game 4, 2nd half, and won going away. Guess who scored the most field goals in that one-sided and decisive half?

Yup. Cleveland.

And you shouldn't need Dick Vitale to tell you how the Warriors did it.;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't agree with this as an "absolute" statement. You used the word “need” when referring to Butler.

Just a figure of speech to note that she's the one large, wide body player they have to defend inside.

And- other things -- Gabby does not basically play perimeter defense - she plays it as needed. If she played perimeter defense then it would have meant that KLS was playing inside defense which you seem to imply she can’t play. Because when she subbed for Morgan Tuck then who was the pf? You can’t have it both ways here. One or the other played inside defense.

Well, players aren't fixed to one spot on the floor so anyone not a small PG or large C usually defends different places at different times. That said, I'd wager that Williams and KLS defended the perimeter far more often than not last year. There are not many inside post threats in women's NCAA basketball. Gabby's a difference-maker on the outside.

Third- there are different ways to combat size, - one is through a zone. Two is through a sagging defense like a zone. Three is a gimmick defense like a box-and one or triangle and two. Four- you can double team the post.

Geno rarely uses those tactics those he will zone a few minutes here or there. The inside defense issue isn't just 1-on-1 defending but cutting off driving lanes, switching, and recovering for those on the perimeter. Those are things that Tuck and especially Stewart were terrific at the last two or three years.

I agree with the point about the game changing, size, etc. I'm not saying bunch of interior players are going to back down smaller UConn players deep in the lane. That's not really a part of the game. Just don't underestimate the impact the two seniors had in various ways as a second line of defense.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I look at it as a game of chess with Geno as THE grandmaster. Last year he had the following pieces in play - King=Tuck , Queen=Stewie , Bishop=Lou , Bishop=Collier , Rook=Mo , Rook=Kia , Knight=Gabby. The rest were Pawns. This year he must try and turn the Pawns into the missing major playing pieces by tournament time. Unfortunately there is no Queen among the Pawns - c'est la vie.

The 2016-2017 season will be interesting for several reasons, the least of which is, as you suggest (and Geno has already stated), "there are no transcendent (Stewie type) players on this year's roster".
The offense generated by the BIG 3 , will now have to come from someone else. Stewie, Tuck and Samuelson where the first three options on offense. Two-thirds of that trio will have to be replaced.
Geno is blessed with an embarrassment of riches, which means he has more than enough capable players that can score at his disposal, that he can plug in.

There will be a drop off next season not only in expectations, but on both ends of the court. The question is: how much of a drop off? A lot, a little, barely noticeable? THAT'S what the basketball world is waiting to see.
You don't lose three players as UConn just did, without there being some residual effect. Some programs can lose one or two seniors and fold like a tent. If, and how soon those team leaders can be replaced determines how fast a program recovers.

Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck were all dynamic forces on both ends of the court. During their four years here, we got use to them, and the things that they could do, to the point of taking them or granted. "We've got Stewie, Morgan and Mo, and you don't". Players like Stewie, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo, Candace Parker, Cheryl Miller, Jackie Styles (the all-time career leading scorer in Div. 1 WCBB - 3,393 pts. Lynette Woodard, scored 3,649 points at the University of Kansas before their women's basketball program was Division I. ), Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Pete Marovich, The good Doctor Julius Irving, Bill Walton, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, LeBron James, Steph Curry etc., don't come around everyday. They're special. And if you are lucky enough to have one for a time, you're lucky.

UConn has players that have waiting patiently in the wings for their turn, now it's time for them to make their grand entrance, and showcase their skills as starters. I have no doubt we'll be more than pleased with their performance and effort. Personally, I think we'll be just fine next season, better than most folks think, and much better than the pre-season polls would have you to believe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The other night, Golden State destroyed Cleveland in Game 4, 2nd half, and won going away. Guess who scored the most field goals in that one-sided and decisive half?

Yup. Cleveland.

And you shouldn't need Dick Vitale to tell you how the Warriors did it.;)

huh?

You realize Cleveland lost game 4, right? So what's your point?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
huh?

You realize Cleveland lost game 4, right? So what's your point?

My point is that although GS did not get the most baskets, they got the right baskets - three-pointers - and lots of them.

That is why Golden State won and why (yes, I do realize) Cleveland lost.

Yet another indication of the continuing change in basketball.

Reaction Score
Just a figure of speech to note that she's the one large, wide body player they have to defend inside.

Well, players aren't fixed to one spot on the floor so anyone not a small PG or large C usually defends different places at different times. That said, I'd wager that Williams and KLS defended the perimeter far more often than not last year. There are not many inside post threats in women's NCAA basketball. Gabby's a difference-maker on the outside.

Geno rarely uses those tactics those he will zone a few minutes here or there. The inside defense issue isn't just 1-on-1 defending but cutting off driving lanes, switching, and recovering for those on the perimeter. Those are things that Tuck and especially Stewart were terrific at the last two or three years.

I agree with the point about the game changing, size, etc. I'm not saying bunch of interior players are going to back down smaller UConn players deep in the lane. That's not really a part of the game. Just don't underestimate the impact the two seniors had in various ways as a second line of defense.

1-- You think Butler is more of value because a team needs to defend her inside vs her having her have an ability to defend? IMO her biggest value will be what she can do defensively.

2-- I don't agree at all with your statement with Gabby. Again I'll ask when Tuck comes out of the game and Gabby usually replaced her, who was defending inside? Was it KLS or Gabby? It HAD TO BE one of them. When games "counted" at that moment - not 30-50 point leads -- but the moment Tuck was pulled- one of the two WAS guarding inside.

3-- When you speak "generally rarely uses those tactics"= he "rarely" uses them because he is rarely "outmanned" so badly. But he absolutely DID use them when he felt threatened inside like for example when Ruth Riley was in the paint. He did throw double teams at her. Ruth used to speak of how for her 1strs UCONN would send different players at her sometimes and other times they wouldn't. She'd get confused. Geno uses tactics that will win. He just isn't going to let them score layups for long. He will double or play gimmick defenses if that's what's needed for a win.

I agree with you - that he had great help defense in the past several years with shot-blocking size and quickness etc. That's even more reason that he may need to do the zones or double-teams or junk defenses etc this year. Because that's the way to combat size if you don't have bigs or the bigs aren't good enough. You can beat size with skill.

Reaction Score
My point is that although GS did not get the most baskets, they got the right baskets - three-pointers - and lots of them.

That is why Golden State won and why (yes, I do realize) Cleveland lost.

Yet another indication of the continuing change in basketball.

Ooops okay- I understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2-- I don't agree at all with your statement with Gabby. Again I'll ask when Tuck comes out of the game and Gabby usually replaced her, who was defending inside? Was it KLS or Gabby? It HAD TO BE one of them. When games "counted" at that moment - not 30-50 point leads -- but the moment Tuck was pulled- one of the two WAS guarding inside.

You seem to be saying/assuming that whoever Tuck guarded when she was in the game was an "inside" player. I don't think that's the case. Again, how many legit inside threats are there? A few of the better teams have some, but otherwise....It isn't like Tuck didn't defend on the perimeter as well. Most of UConn's players guard multiple sections of the floor. Butler couldn't do that. She's mostly a stationary, post defender.

And he may have to use zone against teams with talented inside presences. I don't think he will want to if at all avoidable though.

I will eventually go back and watch some of the games to see defensive assignments. But the best big players were left for Tuck and Stewart. This is where I still think getting good minutes out of Butler will be key.

Reaction Score
You seem to be saying/assuming that whoever Tuck guarded when she was in the game was an "inside" player. I don't think that's the case. Again, how many legit inside threats are there? A few of the better teams have some, but otherwise....It isn't like Tuck didn't defend on the perimeter as well. Most of UConn's players guard multiple sections of the floor. Butler couldn't do that. She's mostly a stationary, post defender.

And he may have to use zone against teams with talented inside presences. I don't think he will want to if at all avoidable though.

I will eventually go back and watch some of the games to see defensive assignments. But the best big players were left for Tuck and Stewart. This is where I still think getting good minutes out of Butler will be key.

No- that's not what I said. You said the following pertaining to defense - that is what I replied to:

Gabby basically plays perimeter defense now. I don't see KLS playing inside defense much either . . .

As I have said -- then when Tuck comes out who defends on the inside? It HAS to be either Gabby or KLS. My reply had nothing to do with "an inside player." An inside player is someone like Coates.

When you speak of inside threats-- that is a totally different conversation than what I replied to your post.

We need to level-set. I don't agree with the italics above in which you said about defense. Gabby or KLS had to play quite a bit of defense on the inside. Which do oyu think it was? Otherwise who was the player defending the other big player on the opposing team once Tuck was substituted?

I agree she also defended on the perimeter- but it's not like teams only have one inside player. Tuck had to defend on the inside too. So Gabby was not "basically playing perimeter defense."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No- that's not what I said. You said the following pertaining to defense - that is what I replied to:

Gabby basically plays perimeter defense now. I don't see KLS playing inside defense much either . . .

As I have said -- then when Tuck comes out who defends on the inside? It HAS to be either Gabby or KLS. My reply had nothing to do with "an inside player." An inside player is someone like Coates.

When you speak of inside threats-- that is a totally different conversation than what I replied to your post.

We need to level-set. I don't agree with the italics above in which you said about defense. Gabby or KLS had to play quite a bit of defense on the inside. Which do oyu think it was? Otherwise who was the player defending the other big player on the opposing team once Tuck was substituted?

I agree she also defended on the perimeter- but it's not like teams only have one inside player. Tuck had to defend on the inside too. So Gabby was not "basically playing perimeter defense."

Think we're talking past each other. Why do you assume the player Tuck generally defends is a "big" player? Tuck defended all over the place as the UConn defense is often moving parts, again with the exception of a less mobile big like Butler. The few times UConn played legit post players (Maryland, SC, Oregon State, Ohio State,) they were guarded by Stewart and/or Tuck. Gabby is primarily a perimeter defender--I don't know how this can be argued. It's why she was specifically put on Courtney Williams multiple times the previous two years. Even starting in a 3-guard lineup against Ohio State she defended the perimeter. That doesn't mean she NEVER guards her "man" inside when players move around. But I highly doubt UConn will take her from her strength to have her defend much larger, quality posts in the paint.

Reaction Score
With the loss of the BIG 3, Geno will have to get creative on both offense & defense to get the most out of the 2016-2017 version of the Huskies!
That being said there still is a lot of talent on the roster to go to the Final 4!
I cannot look at this roster of Nurse, KLS, Gabby, Collier, Saniya, Butler, Ekmark, Crystal Dangerfield, Irwin & Bent and not see a potent defensive unit or players capable of averaging 70 to 75 points a night. Which will be among the highest in Div. I!
I have said several times before that I see Saniya, Butler & Ekmark going to work as hard as they have ever worked to get where they can make huge contributions to this team and prove their high rankings previously were justified in their recruitment to UCONN or in Butler's case her great freshman showing at Georgetown in the BE!
All they need is to stay healthy and they'll go far into the NCAA's!

Reaction Score
Think we're talking past each other. Why do you assume the player Tuck generally defends is a "big" player? Tuck defended all over the place as the UConn defense is often moving parts, again with the exception of a less mobile big like Butler. The few times UConn played legit post players (Maryland, SC, Oregon State, Ohio State,) they were guarded by Stewart and/or Tuck. Gabby is primarily a perimeter defender--I don't know how this can be argued. It's why she was specifically put on Courtney Williams multiple times the previous two years. Even starting in a 3-guard lineup against Ohio State she defended the perimeter. That doesn't mean she NEVER guards her "man" inside when players move around. But I highly doubt UConn will take her from her strength to have her defend much larger, quality posts in the paint.

Let's find out the stretch of game when Tuck wasn't playing over 32 minutes and we'll find Gabby guarding the inside or KLS as 1st options and imo it was rare it was KLS - which you said they don't do often. Or secondly if the defense was as interchangeable as you say then why would you diminish Gabby or KLS's interchangeability too? It's another point of you can't have it both ways. If you're saying UCONN's defense was so flexible - then it would mean EVERY player, right? Third - when you mention "Why do you assume the player Tuck generally defends is a "big" player? - I know for a fact Tuck guarded Jones from MD and Coates from USC. Here is play by play (link below) of UCONN vs USC-- at the 5:48 mark 26-13 in 1st half Tuck is subbed out. Coates and Wilson are in. Who is guarding the post other than Stewie before Wilson gets hurt? Once Tuck goes out- who else do you think in 1st half defended the post for teams that tried to have two posts or tried to crash the boards?

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/020816.html

In one sentence your saying "how can I assume Tuck generally defends bigs then a few sentences later your acknowledging that she did defend against teams with legit post players. What your suggesting/implying imo is way off base - that teams just played 1-4 sets and never tried for inside play or offensive rebound other than 1 player? And how about the times Gabby was playing on the inside on offense - she wasn't really being defended by bigger players that wouldn't even try to post the smaller Gabby? My point is Gabby was going at inside baskets. You don't think the team tried to take advantage of her at the other end if one of the two of Tuck or Stewie was out at the other end?

Yes you are right about Ohio State but Ohio State isn't the norm. The point is - most teams don't give up completely from trying to do something inside. When Tuck was subbed - or even Stewie - it doesn't matter that Gabby is superior defending the perimeter BECASUE she was also a superior rebounder and low post defender vs Nurse/KLS and Collier. Your thinking seems to suggest/ or imply opposing teams would only try the inside with one player - and not even try for an example a simple cross pick in order to get their big free vs Stewie or Tuck (if one was out).

You've referenced two teams USF and Ohio State. Teams with holes in their middle but prolific scoring guards. Yes Gabby would defend. But many teams need to defend UCONN's size with Stewie and Tuck. They needed some big players. If a team has two players either a combo center/forwards that are tall and have some power and some inside moves, and Geno takes out Tuck or Stewie for a rest, who do you think is next in line to guard the bigger players? It wasn't Butler. All you have to do is look at the USC game when Tuck came out-- who was defending inside along with Stewie? It was Gabby.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If you're saying UCONN's defense was so flexible - then it would mean EVERY player, right? Third - when you mention "Why do you assume the player Tuck generally defends is a "big" player? - I know for a fact Tuck guarded Jones from MD and Coates from USC.

Tuck like Stewart defended the relatively few high quality posts they faced. But otherwise, Tuck would guard a myriad of players, some big, some smaller. The exception to the rule is when UConn faced a Jones or Coates. And I'm saying that putting the much smaller, leaner, more perimeter-oriented Gabby Williams in those positions is not optimal or the best use of her skills.

If a team has two players either a combo center/forwards that are tall and have some power and some inside moves, and Geno takes out Tuck or Stewie for a rest, who do you think is next in line to guard the bigger players? It wasn't Butler.

It wasn't Butler because Butler was in no way ready to be on the floor against high quality competition for any stretch of time last year. Which goes to my point in that minus Stewart and Tuck it would be quite helpful if Butler would take the next step and be able to provide those minutes.

All you have to do is look at the USC game when Tuck came out-- who was defending inside along with Stewie? It was Gabby.

For one possession, yes, Gabby guarded Wilson out of necessity due to Tuck's foul trouble. Otherwise they had her trying to defend Omovbioh. When Gabby, Tuck, and Stewart were out there together Gabby guarded Mitchell. Just because she was the best of limited options does not mean it's best for her to play interior post defense. Could she do it better than KLS if needed? Sure, but perimeter defense is where her strength lies and where Geno will want her unless desperate.

Reaction Score
Tuck like Stewart defended the relatively few high quality posts they faced. But otherwise, Tuck would guard a myriad of players, some big, some smaller. The exception to the rule is when UConn faced a Jones or Coates. And I'm saying that putting the much smaller, leaner, more perimeter-oriented Gabby Williams in those positions is not optimal or the best use of her skills.

It wasn't Butler because Butler was in no way ready to be on the floor against high quality competition for any stretch of time last year. Which goes to my point in that minus Stewart and Tuck it would be quite helpful if Butler would take the next step and be able to provide those minutes.

For one possession, yes, Gabby guarded Wilson out of necessity due to Tuck's foul trouble. Otherwise they had her trying to defend Omovbioh. When Gabby, Tuck, and Stewart were out there together Gabby guarded Mitchell. Just because she was the best of limited options does not mean it's best for her to play interior post defense. Could she do it better than KLS if needed? Sure, but perimeter defense is where her strength lies and where Geno will want her unless desperate.

1-- Yes -- but reagarding your recent comment of "it's not the best use of her individual skills" -- but that's not what you first said -- when you said-- "Gabby basically plays perimeter defense now. I don't see KLS playing inside defense much either . . ."

2--
Sometimes a team doesn't always use the best use of a player's individual skills. They are forced to use what they have, correct? In this case when Tuck gets pulled, a team already had to defend her with size didn't they? At the very least -if Stewart was going inside- you think most teams would want to play with pf's at 5'10 to help out? And once Gabby replaced Tuck don't you think they want to try to take advantage of the smaller Gabby? Which means they must have some scholarship player with some inside skills you don't think then they are going to take advantage of the smaller Gabby? WHy would an opposing team deliberately allow Gabby to play to her strength? On the flip side, isn't Gabby a abtter interior defender than KLS and Collier? SO the question that is more appropriate to be asked is why wouldn't UCONN/Geno play Gabby at the best position to help the team? You basically already have 4/5 defenders on the perimeter in MoJeff/Nurse/KLS and a few games Chong did well- certainly she palyed more important minutes than Butler. As did Collier who came on at the end. I will acknowledge at times COllier would defend a bit more inside that Gabby but sometimes imo not. Collier did have a big issue with strength.

3-- Regarding Butler - sure I agree- "it would e quite helpful" - but that isn't what you 1st said. I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be "helpful" if Butler can play well. I'm arguing with your belief that primarily Gabby didn't defend much at all on the inside as if the other team is stupid not going to try to take advantage of a 5'10 pf. It's not all about what UCONN wants. Other teams will try to take advantage of UCONN too. Why would another team deliberately want to paly to UCONN's strengths?

4-- As far as Omovbioh-- wasn;'t she an inside player? I'm pretty sure she is. And she was 6-6 from the floor vs UCONN. N 3's taken. She had 8 rebounds. I'm near certain she was an inside player. So your attempt to downplay Wilson only being defending for one minute isn't really relevant to our conversation, is it? We're talking about Gabby having to defend on the inside. And she was the best alternative once Tuck or Steiw went out of the game, wasn't she?

5-- IMO you are making a mistake at looking at this one way. Maya Moore in her senior year at times was forced to defend opposing centers. That's wasn't her strength anymore than it's Gabby's strength to defend on the inside. But once Tuck or Stewie went out- - why would an opposing team allow UCONN to get away with playing a 5'10 pf? AT least to challenge her on the glass? And why wouldn't UCONN put in Gabby to defend the other tall player whether it be the smaller of the 2 center or pf?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is no one "automatically assigned" to defend inside unless the opposing team has a post player(s) required to be guarded in the post. When KLS, Gabby, Collier come into the game for Morgan Stewie was usually assigned to guard the other teams best post threat. KLS, Gabby, Collier are all far better perimeter defender than post defenders and all three struggle with size and strength in the post-example is SC game. Gabby is the best post defender of the three, but the concern is making any of the three a fulltime post defender is not compatible with NC aspirations.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let me chime in about the UConn team defense.
Geno prefers man-to-an "D" with lots of switching to stifle pick-and-rolls, especially out on the perimeter.

He had the benefit of smart and versatile players, continuously in communication with one another, who could implement his system and frustrate opponents.

His full court press is best described as a 2-2-1 zone. In half court either a 2-3 or 1-2-2.

Lou normally guarded "wing" counterpart or out front in zone "D."

When Nat entered the lineup, her limited mobility usually made zone preferable.

The ultimate aim is always to limit quality shots, especially for best shooters.

N.B. Note use of words like "usually" and "normally." Nothing set in stone.​

Reaction Score
I hesitate to engage here, because I haven't played in 40 years and have never coached, but my sense is that underneath, even in man-to-man, it's a helping defense. Once the ball is down low, there should be weak side doubling help, forcing the player with the ball to make a pass in a crowd. There's one player facing up against the post, but a wing cheating a bit, especially when the ball goes down low--unless the playing guarding the post is a dominant defender, like Kiah or Stef, but maybe even then, since doubling underneath to force a pass in a crowd is a natural play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let me chime in about the UConn team defense.
Geno prefers man-to-an "D" with lots of switching to stifle pick-and-rolls, especially out on the perimeter.

He had the benefit of smart and versatile players, continuously in communication with one another, who could implement his system and frustrate opponents.

His full court press is best described as a 2-2-1 zone. In half court either a 2-3 or 1-2-2.

Lou normally guarded "wing" counterpart or out front in zone "D."

When Nat entered the lineup, her limited mobility usually made zone preferable.

The ultimate aim is always to limit quality shots, especially for best shooters.

N.B. Note use of words like "usually" and "normally." Nothing set in stone.​
Exactly! Limit quality shots (from perimeter & post) and rebound that is the proven UCONN formula. If Natalie cannot do both of those things Geno will find someone who will. Size matters but so does quickness and reaction time to the ball. Size is also a rat hole, because IMO there is only 1 team in WCBB capable of overwhelming UCONN with size in the post and that is South Carolina. Baylor has a Two-time AA starter playing in the post at 5'11". ND has one post player of significance in Turner.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Exactly! Limit quality shots (from perimeter & post) and rebound that is the proven UCONN formula. If Natalie cannot do both of those things Geno will find someone who will. Size matters but so does quickness and reaction time to the ball. Size is also a rat hole, because IMO there is only 1 team in WCBB capable of overwhelming UCONN with size in the post and that is South Carolina. Baylor has a Two-time AA starter playing in the post at 5'11". ND has one post player of significance in Turner.

Interesting that you discuss size without mentioning any of the returning Baylor bigs, Brown (6-7), Cave (6-3) and Mompremier (6-4), plus the addition Cox (6-4). Kim didn't go to the bench much against UCLA because the group she had on the floor was kicking UCLA's butt and she didn't want to disrupt the flow of the game. But don't take that as an indication thAt she will not use the other post players. Don't underestimate the talent of these four players when you discuss being overwhelmed by size.

Reaction Score
Interesting that you discuss size without mentioning any of the returning Baylor bigs, Brown (6-7), Cave (6-3) and Mompremier (6-4), plus the addition Cox (6-4). Kim didn't go to the bench much against UCLA because the group she had on the floor was kicking UCLA's butt and she didn't want to disrupt the flow of the game. But don't take that as an indication thAt she will not use the other post players. Don't underestimate the talent of these four players when you discuss being overwhelmed by size.
Good comments! I never underestimate Geno and his creative defenses, but.....anyone who has watched Baylor has seen that quick, swarming defenses often don't matter for offensive rebounds and when the 6'5"+ Big has the ball underneath. Looking forward to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom