OK, Muffet's on my list, but give her some credit tonight | The Boneyard

OK, Muffet's on my list, but give her some credit tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sorry if this some have already discussed this topic, but I just wanted to say I loved Muffet's reaction after Natalie Achonwa was drafted #9. It has indeed been a long road for Natalie- hand picked out of Canada by Muffet when I don't recall her being heavily recruited, steadily improved, played in the Olympics, had a great senior season before getting injured, an injury that made people question when she'd be drafted. And whether Muffet was thinking of all of that or not, she was nevertheless incredibly proud, sweet and maternal. It was a real Muffet Moment, not one that her oft-icy persona seems to convey.

Maybe it was an obligation, but credit due to all the coaches who showed up to the draft for their players. I mean, yes, Geno had two of his kids going in the first round, and it's not like he had to travel much to get to Mohegan, but he still took care of business in a way he couldn't be happier to do. And I like that Brenda Frese showed up too, in her case for Alyssa Thomas. But seeing Muffet with her hand over her heart for Natalie was really touching to me.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
She also had 2 players there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
But no Kim Mukley for Sims.

Gotta wonder

Reaction Score
Sorry if this some have already discussed this topic, but I just wanted to say I loved Muffet's reaction after Natalie Achonwa was drafted #9. It has indeed been a long road for Natalie- hand picked out of Canada by Muffet when I don't recall her being heavily recruited, steadily improved, played in the Olympics, had a great senior season before getting injured, an injury that made people question when she'd be drafted. And whether Muffet was thinking of all of that or not, she was nevertheless incredibly proud, sweet and maternal. It was a real Muffet Moment, not one that her oft-icy persona seems to convey.

Maybe it was an obligation, but credit due to all the coaches who showed up to the draft for their players. I mean, yes, Geno had two of his kids going in the first round, and it's not like he had to travel much to get to Mohegan, but he still took care of business in a way he couldn't be happier to do. And I like that Brenda Frese showed up too, in her case for Alyssa Thomas. But seeing Muffet with her hand over her heart for Natalie was really touching to me.
Yes- I was touched by the look on her face... Not one you see any other time.

Reaction Score

Sorry - she'll have to do better than that to win me back.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Coach P. as well as Sweater Man were at Gray's table.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sorry - she'll have to do better than that to win me back.

Win you back to what specifically? I said Muffet's on my list. This was just about it being a nice moment regardless. I like Achonwa too.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
JWaltz there for Shoni. With all those coaches on hand, it may have been an interesting night at Geno's restaurant afterwards....or maybe in Jordan's bar.

Reaction Score

She may be a very nice person. I ran into her in an airport a few years ago and she was very friendly. As a coach is she an overachiever or underachiever? Four straight FF and three times in the NC game but never winning it. Twice the "top team" (Baylor) was taken out in front of nd but they didn't take advantage. UCONN did last year! So, is being selected "Coach Of The Year" a consolation prize?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She may be a very nice person. I ran into her in an airport a few years ago and she was very friendly. As a coach is she an overachiever or underachiever? Four straight FF and three times in the NC game but never winning it. Twice the "top team" (Baylor) was taken out in front of nd but they didn't take advantage. UCONN did last year! So, is being selected "Coach Of The Year" a consolation prize?
Consolation prize or not, Muffet has been able to do what no other WCBB coach to date has been able to do - Win a NC, lose top recruiting assistants shortly thereafter, take a few years to rebuild, and then become a dominant power to consistently challenge UCONN and have a fair shot at winning a NC.

Since 2000, only 5 teams not name UCONN have won a NC - Tenn(2), Baylor (2), ND, aTm, Maryland.

Sure Maryland made the final 4 this year, but they weren't really a contender. I think Baylor would beat them 4 out of 5 times. I actually think that Muffet and Kim have been the 2 most impressive coaches not named Geno in the past decade. You can throw Walz in there as well but he's not hoisted a trophy yet. Blair, on the other hand, has. And it will be interesting to see where Walz goes now that Schimmell is gone. Blair at aTm also has been impressive since his NC in 2011. ND and Baylor proved they can rebuild after great players left. I don't see any greats on L'ville's recruiting radar so I have a feeling they will fall back a bit.

Anyway, point is like 'em or not, Kim and Muffet (IMHO) have produced the most impressive results consistently in the last 5 years. Blair is not far behind and Walz a little behind Gary.

Reaction Score
I saw Kim in a leopard print top/jacket before the draft started but never saw her after that. All the other coaches sat with their players unless they were fortunate enough to have more than one player there. Also, I don't know whether it was just that I had a bad line of sight to Muffet, but once again the hands appeared to be silent when everyone else was clapping for any of the UCONN players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
JWaltz there for Shoni. With all those coaches on hand, it may have been an interesting night at Geno's restaurant afterwards....or maybe in Jordan's bar.

Coach Moore was there as well for Gatling

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The more coaches to support their players, the better! And somewhere there is a server with a whopping tip from their bar bills.

Reaction Score
Win you back to what specifically? I said Muffet's on my list. This was just about it being a nice moment regardless. I like Achonwa too.
I used to like her. I do like Achonwa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin