Ohio State Game Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Ohio State Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A Side Note to this conversation Can we remember just a few games a go that we were wondering who is going to foul out?
Geno has taught these ladies how to play hard defense for 35/40 minutes against the best teams in the country, without fouling out. I think you will see Molly and Kyla get some time in when AAC play starts.

Reaction Score
This is just an observation and not my opinion on this matter.

Name a recent team that in search of a win record, faded at the end and lost the championship?

I bring you the Golden state Warriors.

Reaction Score
I'm a worrier by nature, so no surprise that I'd say this. I agree with those who think these young women cannot play 35 minutes a game, day in and day out. Yes, the Chong problem is causing some of it, but even with her, it's still not a deep rotation at all. I'd feel better if one of the other freshmen (besides Crystal, I mean) could play some minutes here and there. Not likely to happen, but still....

I disagree with the BYer above who suggested the team is "scary good." Last year's team was scary good. This year's is better than most of us thought it would be, granted, but is seriously flawed by a lack of depth and somewhat flawed by a lack of first-team height. Most nights those things won't matter, but let's see how they do against Maryland and later, SC, as well as (as one BYer above mentioned) South Florida. I worry about the conference tournament and especially the Big Dance. Will they have enough left in the tank to carry them through? Sure hope so.
Wow. You are a worrier. Sure the team has a very thin bench and the starting five lacks height. But IMO it's very clear they are the best team in the country. Very beatable, but less beatable than all the other teams. Isn't that enough after losing the top 3 players in the WNBA draft, not to mention knowing that all their weaknesses will be fixed one year hence?

Reaction Score
Is there anyway to see a replay of the game since it was CBS sports? I missed the first 3 quarters . And what is with those uniforms???

Reaction Score
Coaching involves calculated risks, and so far the short bench, long minutes strategy has worked perfectly. But it's certainly interesting to watch for the future. No question that the starters are in superb condition, and that is coaching. I actually think a lot more programs could and should do it, as many young women who are athletic enough to play at a high division 1 level can be conditioned to be able to play 35-40 minutes with proper training. Although last night might have shown some fatigue since OSU made runs at the end of the first and second quarters.

What always has worried me more is foul trouble. If you don't play your bench much and several players foul out, you have to go to players that aren't experienced in close games and maybe even haven't broken a sweat in that game yet. I know Geno does a superb job of coaching players not to foul, but that might not always work because it also depends on an uncontrollable factor (referees). On the other hand, maybe Geno is using a game theory approach where the value of using your best players for more minutes is guaranteed, while losing time due to fouls at the end is something with a much lower probability.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Is there anyway to see a replay of the game since it was CBS sports? I missed the first 3 quarters . And what is with those uniforms???
Usually within 48 hours you can find a replay on this site
2016-2017 Women’s Basketball Game Replays
that's a good URL to bookmark.
As far as the uniforms, apparently Nike thinks that drab grey is hot stuff. I guess it's popular with the younger crowd.
Many don't agree but they (Nike) gets to call the shots it seems as part of the uniform deal.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This whole thing about minutes played is crazy - and it is crazy to look at past full year averages to compare to the current team because none of those full year averages come anywhere close to this year's strength of schedule TO DATE. We have played ten games - 70% of those games have been against top 25 teams and another 10% against top 50. And according to Sagarin the other 20% have been against top 100 teams. We have yet to play a Cinci or a Houston or a Tulsa, or a Memphis or in the old days a Pitt or a Providence, or a Seton Hall or a Hartford or a Holy Cross.

If you want to compare minutes to history look at the minutes Kia, Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan played against Notre Dame, and SC, and DePaul, and MD last year (144, 152, 142, 149) and that was with our current darlings Lou, Napheesa, and Gabby available to fill in the fifth starter and bench minutes as well as a junior Saniya. Those four games the four starters average 37 minutes a game. The current big four are averaging 32 minutes a game, and the difference is represented by the few easier contests in the midst of this tough schedule. The bench is one (two for some games with the two concussion protocols) shorter this year than last, but the minutes for the 'big four' are pretty similar.

This is what Uconn always does in tough games - they ride their horses until the game is truly over. With a team like Ohio State that proved they could score 10 points in two minutes twice in the game already, you don't take chances in the fourth quarter with a 17 point lead.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Every aspect of this opinion written 10 full months ago was validated by this game last night.

Great question FF, I'm not at all sold on Kevin McGuff as a coach, but the transfers are all there this season and practicing so I don't see it as much of an issue. Shayla Cooper's transition and incorporation was pretty seemless. The type of young women Mavunga, Calhoun, and Holland appear to be I don't see any problems with them. If Coach McGuff can get his team to commit to the defensive end of the floor I believe they may be able to make some noise. Many people in WCBB are licking their proverbial chops in anticipation of UConn having a down season, what team wouldn't after graduating 3 first-team AA's with 4 consecutive Nattys(yes I believe Morgan will leave after this season, there are only so many games left in her knees) Geno will have a surprise ready for the nation and sourpuss Kim Mulkey, who's perpetually angry at the world for some reason will be sorry she signed that two-year deal.

Reaction Score
You are confused. Absolute trust is and has always been the standard for a UCONN player to get on the floor regardless of the size of the team. This is a binary calculation you are either trusted (playing) or not trusted (not playing). All players are conditioned to play beyond the required 40 minutes.

I agree (mostly) but I'd remove one word ALWAYS. Geno USUALLY does not play a player he can"t trust. 2 come to mind---Stanford game and Geno's overhear words--you can't trust her!
And way back in history--when Charde was playing--Geno TRUSTED that she'd screw up--travel, foul,
do something stupid--but the kid could score--and he didn't have scorers. So Charde played. Reluctantly.

That's an either=OR --programming function---play or sit!! Geno win's many games because his team is better conditioned.

Reaction Score
This whole thing about minutes played is crazy - and it is crazy to look at past full year averages to compare to the current team because none of those full year averages come anywhere close to this year's strength of schedule TO DATE. We have played ten games - 70% of those games have been against top 25 teams and another 10% against top 50. And according to Sagarin the other 20% have been against top 100 teams. We have yet to play a Cinci or a Houston or a Tulsa, or a Memphis or in the old days a Pitt or a Providence, or a Seton Hall or a Hartford or a Holy Cross.

If you want to compare minutes to history look at the minutes Kia, Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan played against Notre Dame, and SC, and DePaul, and MD last year (144, 152, 142, 149) and that was with our current darlings Lou, Napheesa, and Gabby available to fill in the fifth starter and bench minutes as well as a junior Saniya. Those four games the four starters average 37 minutes a game. The current big four are averaging 32 minutes a game, and the difference is represented by the few easier contests in the midst of this tough schedule. The bench is one (two for some games with the two concussion protocols) shorter this year than last, but the minutes for the 'big four' are pretty similar.

This is what Uconn always does in tough games - they ride their horses until the game is truly over. With a team like Ohio State that proved they could score 10 points in two minutes twice in the game already, you don't take chances in the fourth quarter with a 17 point lead.

For UConn fans---that was a mere or tiny lead of 17 points---spoiled aren't we???

Reaction Score
Barring injury ---I do. I just don't think you can predict injuries beucase of minutes. I recall Mel Thomas just turning her leg / coming to a quick stop etc.

What more can I say? -- I'm 100% confident their minutes will decrease in the AAC.

So if I'm 100% confident -- how should I express that to those that aren't?

A few observations: 1. Minutes alone are not indicators of injuries. But prolonged playing/fatigue has a part in many injuries.
2. Your confidence in the decrease in PT of Napheesa, KLS, Gabby is pretty much a given during AAC games--yet they shall get 20 minutes or more to maintain skills and conditioning. Also, Geno has hopes/expectation for Molly, Dangerfield, Natalie and Irwin so he'll give them all the time they EARN. 3. None of this will have any effect IF the Concussions keep coming--A new wrinkle coaches must now live with--rightly..

Reaction Score
Coaching involves calculated risks, and so far the short bench, long minutes strategy has worked perfectly. But it's certainly interesting to watch for the future. No question that the starters are in superb condition, and that is coaching. I actually think a lot more programs could and should do it, as many young women who are athletic enough to play at a high division 1 level can be conditioned to be able to play 35-40 minutes with proper training. Although last night might have shown some fatigue since OSU made runs at the end of the first and second quarters.

What always has worried me more is foul trouble. If you don't play your bench much and several players foul out, you have to go to players that aren't experienced in close games and maybe even haven't broken a sweat in that game yet. I know Geno does a superb job of coaching players not to foul, but that might not always work because it also depends on an uncontrollable factor (referees). On the other hand, maybe Geno is using a game theory approach where the value of using your best players for more minutes is guaranteed, while losing time due to fouls at the end is something with a much lower probability.

Good points. Geno recruits a special group of players such Gabby Williams whose dad once said that his daughter would sell tickets if that's what Geno wants (or something to that effect).
Many coaches do not/cannot recruit team players and they do not have the luxury that Geno has. How would this policy of conditioning your A team go into effect across the league?

NCAA may introduce a 30 or 35 min playing time limit to get WCBB closer to parity (Uconn Rule) when the Huskies do not have a bench. I am not suggesting that they do it and passing it could have many bad effects. Next year Geno will be implementing it himself with 14 players and 200 min of playing time.

I am glad that finally we are discussing how much wear and tear these young girls' bodies can take because I was getting worried. Providentially, we have the Nebraska game next which was probably scheduled when Yori was the coach. Now Nebraska is a very weak team and the starters can rest a lot more.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I never expected tOSU to beat Uconn, but I was hoping for a game. Even with the close margin at halftime, OSU never really seemed to be in it.
I was disappointed to not see a more competitive game, however, it is not too surprising. Such talent on paper, but too much of one-on-one play. Not to negate the coaching of Geno and tough play of Uconn players, but, OSU is their own worst enemy.

Uconn looked like Uconn, and as usual, adjusted great at halftime to contain Mitchell.
I don't see Maryland beating you all. I think SC is the only legitimate threat left on the schedule, minus some fluke of a game, but that is just so rare from the Huskies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay, Mitchell has skills, but to me she is over rated. An illustration is found with about 6:20 to play in the first quarter: she makes one of her patented charges to the hoop, but upon getting there she flings it straight up in the air and UConn takes it to the other end. She goes by everybody but is out of control and if she doesn't get bailed with a foul it is what it is - the play of an out of control guard. You see more of this later and last year's game had a few examples too. Can she dish it off? She's going too fast apparently.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Okay, Mitchell has skills, but to me she is over rated. An illustration is found with about 6:20 to play in the first quarter: she makes one of her patented charges to the hoop, but upon getting there she flings it straight up in the air and UConn takes it to the other end. She goes by everybody but is out of control and if she doesn't get bailed with a foul it is what it is - the play of an out of control guard. You see more of this later and last year's game had a few examples too. Can she dish it off? She's going too fast apparently.
She is skilled but severely undisciplined and lacking BB IQ and fundamentals which makes her the worse kind of teammate possible. tOSU got the ball to end the 3rd quarter with about 17 seconds to go. UCONN ran two defenders at her. Better BB IQ and fundamentals would tell her if have two UCONN defenders on you someone got to be open. Instead she dribbles towards a 3rd UCONN defender, keeps dribbling for 15 of the 17 seconds before finally passing the ball to Sierra Calhoun with virtually no time left on the clock and 30 feet away from the basket. If I'm Sierra I'm give her back the ball-not so politely!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She is skilled but severely undisciplined and lacking BB IQ and fundamentals which makes her the worse kind of teammate possible. tOSU got the ball to end the 3rd quarter with about 17 seconds to go. UCONN ran two defenders at her. Better BB IQ and fundamentals would tell her if have two UCONN defenders on you someone got to be open. Instead she dribbles towards a 3rd UCONN defender, keeps dribbling for 15 of the 17 seconds before finally passing the ball to Sierra Calhoun with virtually no time left on the clock and 30 feet away from the basket. If I'm Sierra I'm give her back the ball-not so politely!
In the past I quoted Doug Collins comment about Carmelo Anthony that Melo was, "a ball movement killer." That same quote is applicable to Mitchell. Clearly OSU's coach buys into handing her the ball and letting her do whatever she wants with it. I was very surprised that he brought her to the post game presser. I would have thought she would have been in the locker room icing her shooting arm after hoisting up all of those moon shots from beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
In the past I quoted Doug Collins comment about Carmelo Anthony that Melo was, "a ball movement killer." That same quote is applicable to Mitchell. Clearly OSU's coach buys into handing her the ball and letting her do whatever she wants with it. I was very surprised that he brought her to the post game presser. I would have thought she would have been in the locker room icing her shooting arm after hoisting up all of those moon shots from beyond the arc.

Phil Jackson has made comments that he holds the ball to much as GM of the Knicks. This must irk a coach who perfected the triangle offense winning multiple Championships with the Bulls and Lakers.

Reaction Score
The unis are really bad. Somebody needs to invite Chris Sale up there with a pair of scissors.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I pray Saniya will be ok.
I am enjoying how this team is playing. So many said they would be at least 6-4, but these ladies said "no, no". While watching the game last night, I thought about Lou at Stanford. Lou made the best choice, when she decided to come East and attend UConn. Gabby and Napheesa are really playing out of their minds. They are scoring, rebounding, stealing and blocking. Crystal as a freshmen is so advanced. Crystal along with Gabby shut Kelsey down in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Also, I love watching Tierney on the sidelines. She makes me laugh, because she really get into the game, and her reaction to the plays is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom