Ohio st recap | The Boneyard

Ohio st recap

Reaction Score
It’s only November, a ways to go and I only saw part of the 1st half.

I was encouraged by Walker.

Seemed like a bunch of turnovers early, but hey November.

I had fun watching CW early on defense - she didn’t seem to fully know what she’s doing but good energy.

Was pleased to see Coombs so early.

That full court pressure that UConn does with KLS in back — If i were an opponent I would try to get the ball up court and have someone take it right at her every time , hoping for fouls.

Good start but a lot to work on.

Reaction Score
1. Megan looks much improved. Having her as a consistent scoring option will alleviate a lot of pressure from the big three.
2.This team is going to need Lou's height on the boards. Looks like she is willing and able to help.
3. If Coombs is going to be our third guard, I would have her working on her outside shot every day at practice. She looks completely reluctant to shoot from beyond 5 feet. An outside shot with her first step could prove difficult to guard.
4. Christyn looks comfortable and I was happy to see she mostly played within the flow. With more game reps, she will be a very solid starter on both ends of the court.
5. Depth will be an issue. At least it looks like Geno is willing to give people minutes this year. Hopefully some can put the pieces together.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lots of good things, but also lots of things to be worked on. Meg is so improved and confident. Love seeing how much more in the flow she is. Loved seeing Coombs in early. Good start for Williams. The core 3 are fantastic.

If this is what we can expect from Camara, very disappointing. I get that she's had injuries, but 3rd of 4th season in college and she can't crack the lineup except for garbage time? ONO is a work in progress. Not sure what happened in the 3rd quarter - McGuff must have made quite the halftime speech with some good adjustments. Not so much for UCONN...

Still, it's obviously very early. I think Geno has a really good idea what he will get out of Walker, Danger, Lou and Pheesa. I'm sure he's getting a feel for Christyn. Bench - huge question marks.

Reaction Score
Some of us were hoping Batouly would be able to make a significant contribution this season. Not getting in until late in the game makes this seem somewhat questionable. I think MW is ready to live up to expectations. CW played under control and will be a solid contributor. We all know about the big 3 and they will be as advertised.

Reaction Score
6A55B38B-E876-4355-B699-2521C4CF9EDA.jpeg

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Happy for Kyla, but when she's the first low post player off the bench, that's not a good sign. Based on what I read about Nelson-Ododa not being ready, I had hoped it would be Camara off the bench first. Watching Camara play, she apparently is not suited for an offense that requires players to read & react to get open for her shots. She's seems suited for a system where she is parked in the low post and power her shots up and/or get points on put back baskets. Like other transfers that have had success at other programs, they don't thrive in UConn's system.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Rebounding is and will be a HUGE problem.

I agree. I thought the offense looked excellent, the defense okay, and the rebounding poor.

I think Dangerfield has improved running the show. If she can keep hitting from outside, that will make UConn even more of a matchup nightmare. Walker is night-and-day compared to last year -- I know Geno's been saying that, but it's good to see for oneself. She looks really strong. And Coombs and Irwin look like they can give some quality minutes off the bench.

I had high hopes for Camara and Odota, but was not impressed today.

Reaction Score
The Core Three looked ready, as did Walker, who looked almost like a completely different person today. She was aggressive and confident with her shots. Christyn was good at times, but was a “freshman” at other times, which means she played as expected. I was pleased and surprised that MC was first off the bench, she must have had a good week of practice. However, she posed no threat from the outside and at times played too fast. Other teams will dare her to shoot from the outside and sag off of her when the ball is in her hands.

The rest of the bench, aside from Kyla Irwin, looked not so good. Lexi Gordon is willing to take a shot, unlike Molly Bent, but she seems rushed and not willing to pass the ball to get a better shot. ONO was truly lost out there and, despite all of her obvious talent, will be a major work in progress. At 6’4” she should DEMAND the ball when she is in the paint but seems to like to hang out outside the paint. My thought is that she may develop like Tina did, which is not a bad thing but we should not expect a whole lot from her this year, or at least until late in the season. I am still a Batouly Camara fan and she’s had enough time to show us the player she was at Kentucky (which I would gladly take), but she has not shown us that player in the first two games. We need her big and strong body for teams with true post players.

Defensively, well, it was what it was today! Geno had to give minutes to the bench to see what they could do, so the drop off was expected. Thank God we have several games before the Notre Dame game to get a better footing on the defense. I will be happy if we hold opponents to 55 points a game or lower, but this defense WILL give up points this year. Thankfully, our offense should average in the 80s, so it’s just a matter of accepting smaller scoring margins. Overall, I was pleased with what I saw and look forward to everyone’s development over the season.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Lots of good things, but also lots of things to be worked on. Meg is so improved and confident. Love seeing how much more in the flow she is. Loved seeing Coombs in early. Good start for Williams. The core 3 are fantastic.

If this is what we can expect from Camara, very disappointing. I get that she's had injuries, but 3rd of 4th season in college and she can't crack the lineup except for garbage time? ONO is a work in progress. Not sure what happened in the 3rd quarter - McGuff must have made quite the halftime speech with some good adjustments. Not so much for UCONN...

Still, it's obviously very early. I think Geno has a really good idea what he will get out of Walker, Danger, Lou and Pheesa. I'm sure he's getting a feel for Christyn. Bench - huge question marks.
It seems that Camara has significant physical issues. Not sure what it is, but she cannot move very well. I had hoped for her to play a big part, no pun intended, but she appears to be unable more than unwilling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was hoping Camara would be able to provide some quality minutes with the starters, where she could play a complementary role, as a big body (defense, rebounding, clogging the lane). Given Geno's reluctance, it seems like she is not ready for that and may not be this season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... Lou is #1 or tied #1 in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks! Add in Shots taken, 3s taken and made, FTs taken and made - Stat stuffer! And just in case people missed it, she is also the back-up point guard! It was she who replaced Danger when she was injured in the 4th and played point until true garbage time.

Walker was very impressive - completely different player from a year ago. Williams looked decent for her first game.

Dangerfield and Collier were as expected ... very good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Danger should get the Tough Kid Standing Eight Count Award. Kyla pleased me today, including that 3 from the corner attributed to someone named Kylie. Batouly remains a worry. Coombs was a positive. Squeaks is no squeak - more a roar.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
This was a good game for the official first game of the season. Megan looked good, and I loved she hit her layups. Crystal, Lou and Napheesa did what they do. I was glad to see Christyn playing good defense. I was hoping to see a little bit more of Olivia. I know the starting 5 need rest, but they need to be on the floor with the reserves. As the season continues, I think UConn will continue to improve on defense and offense.

Reaction Score
I have cut the cord. I want to watch the replay when it is available. I have a new computer and I do not have the link to the UCONN huskies games playlist on it. Please send me the link. Thanks.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I have cut the cord. I want to watch the replay when it is available. I have a new computer and I do not have the link to the UCONN huskies games playlist on it. Please send me the link. Thanks.
At the top of the page is a pull down menue called "tcf's stuff" in the pull down menue click UConn basketball games and follow the links to what you want from there.

Reaction Score
this is clearly a different UConn team from what we are used to seeing.........................they should be fine offensively discounting any injuries and foul problems and they'll need to be.......................until and unless ONO can be incorporated into the rotation, UConn is going to be at a disadvantage on the boards against a number of opponents this season never mind Notre Dame or Baylor................glad to see Geno giving some minutes to Coombs who is athletic enough to compete out there against anyone............

Reaction Score
Got back from the game a short while ago. Enjoyable as always! The starting 5 looked good offensively (except for part of the 3rd). Could really see that they missed Kia and Gabby defensively. They worked at it, but they miss that player that can fill in and cover mistakes. Also got pushed under the basket and missed the longer rebounds more than I remember for a while. Also seemed like a lot of collisions in this game!
I am always amazed at the number of season ticket holders that don't show up. Its the first regular season game on a Sunday afternoon! Better for me - up upgraded my seat to a seatback near the center of the court. Crowd was not real alive IMHO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom