Ohio St @ Maryland - 1/22/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohio St @ Maryland - 1/22/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I am the Ohio AD I think I've seen enough of McGuff.
Rocky, I would tend to agree, but schools just don’t fire WBB coaches for losing. If they did, there’d be a bunch of them looking for jobs.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looks like Mitchell decided to take everyone’s advice and shoot less.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Box scores don't come close to telling you everything about a game, but just perusing it tOSU actually had more balanced scoring than Maryland did. All 5 starters in double figures between 10-15 points. Mitchell only has 13 FGA (maybe she should take lessons from T A&M's Carter?) and had 7 assists. Not really seeing this lopsided offense that is being referred to. Maryland had 4 in double figures, 1 off the bench, but two players w/ 32 and 26 respectively. Obviously what Maryland did worked because they won in a blowout.

I think Mitchell is falling off the pace to catch Plum, which is fine w/ me. Coming into the game she had 480 thru 19 games, averaging 25.3. Scored 15 today. I think she needed just short of 1000 on the season. Can't see this tOSU team making a deep run, in the Tourney so I think 20 games is well over the halfway mark for them. Only 10 regular season games left, then conference tourney and NCAA Tourney.

I’ve never heard Mitchell say that she is chasing Plum’s record but maybe I just missed that?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a smackdown from start to finish. Nice win by the Turtles. Mystifying perf9rmance by tOSU. Sort of like they were sleepwalking thru the game. But in some ways that's what happens when your coaches allow Mitchell to basically do what she wants on the court. I know she does dish for some assists, but she plays like she's never been taught the concept of true team ball - and it's possible she hasn't...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Box scores don't come close to telling you everything about a game, but just perusing it tOSU actually had more balanced scoring than Maryland did. All 5 starters in double figures between 10-15 points. Mitchell only has 13 FGA (maybe she should take lessons from T A&M's Carter?) and had 7 assists. Not really seeing this lopsided offense that is being referred to. Maryland had 4 in double figures, 1 off the bench, but two players w/ 32 and 26 respectively. Obviously what Maryland did worked because they won in a blowout.

I think Mitchell is falling off the pace to catch Plum, which is fine w/ me. Coming into the game she had 480 thru 19 games, averaging 25.3. Scored 15 today. I think she needed just short of 1000 on the season. Can't see this tOSU team making a deep run, in the Tourney so I think 20 games is well over the halfway mark for them. Only 10 regular season games left, then conference tourney and NCAA Tourney.
I’ve never heard Mitchell say that she is chasing Plum’s record but maybe I just missed that?
@nwhoopfan didn't say that - just that it seems unlikely that Mitchell will catch Plum...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I am the Ohio AD I think I've seen enough of McGuff.

Rocky, I would tend to agree, but schools just don’t fire WBB coaches for losing. If they did, there’d be a bunch of them looking for jobs.
McGuff is a vagabond. He is in year 5 at tOSU, after two years in Washington, I would not be surprised if he follows Mitchell out the door.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
McGuff is a vagabond. He is in year 5 at tOSU, after two years in Washington, I would not be surprised if he follows Mitchell out the door.
I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to be canned. It’s just highly unusual for a school to fire a WBB coach with a winning record.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well I'm feeling rather prescient after seeing this result.

At the start of conference play, I picked Maryland ahead of Ohio State because of what I called the Christinaki effect. Well, she picked a mighty fine time to have a coming-out party. Maryland didn't just get the monkey off its back; it hurled the monkey clear across the Potomac River.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I'm sure her primary goal is to help her team win as many games as possible. Breaking the record might not be a priority to her, but she can't possibly be unaware of the possibility. Exactly like Plum last year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
.....Maryland didn't just get the monkey off its back; it hurled the monkey clear across the Potomac River.
OMG, I just burst out laughing with that line! Well said my friend, well said.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Great win for Maryland. OSU looked awful out there tonight. McGuff just isn't a good basketball coach.

His success at Xavier was 100% due to Harris/Phillips backing out of their Purdue commitments and coming to Xavier once Curry left Purdue for Texas Tech. Phillips and Harris were great (both were ranked #1 recruits for good chunks of their HS career) and once they graduated, he jumped ship to Washington.

At Washington he had 2 WNIT seasons before he landed the Ohio State job and was able to get Mitchell (and her family). He's also accumulated quite a bit of talent through transfers (Harper, Calhoun and Mavunga) but they've never formulated a good team. Right now they have three really good seniors (Mitchell/Mavunga/Harper) and a good supporting cast of experienced players, yet they still gave up 99 points and lose by 30 to a mediocre Maryland team. There is NO reason why they shouldn't be a top 5 team this year, especially considering how much talent and experience they have. I think his days are numbered once Mitchell/Mavunga/Harper leave.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And while I would intend to agree with this, look at what Ohio State did to Jim Foster.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
At Washington he had 2 WNIT seasons

You have to put that in a bit of context though. They were coming off the disastrous Tia Jackson era. He quickly improved them and laid the foundation that Neighbors was later able to capitalize on.

Reaction Score
Great win for Maryland. OSU looked awful out there tonight. McGuff just isn't a good basketball coach.

His success at Xavier was 100% due to Harris/Phillips backing out of their Purdue commitments and coming to Xavier once Curry left Purdue for Texas Tech. Phillips and Harris were great (both were ranked #1 recruits for good chunks of their HS career) and once they graduated, he jumped ship to Washington.

At Washington he had 2 WNIT seasons before he landed the Ohio State job and was able to get Mitchell (and her family). He's also accumulated quite a bit of talent through transfers (Harper, Calhoun and Mavunga) but they've never formulated a good team. Right now they have three really good seniors (Mitchell/Mavunga/Harper) and a good supporting cast of experienced players, yet they still gave up 99 points and lose by 30 to a mediocre Maryland team. There is NO reason why they shouldn't be a top 5 team this year, especially considering how much talent and experience they have. I think his days are numbered once Mitchell/Mavunga/Harper leave.
Really proud of the Maryland women. Best performance since the Louisville game last year. Brenda and her staff came in with a great game plan and executed it perfectly. I agree with the comments about McGuff. Basically he has nothing coming back for next season. tOSU may not be a 500 team next season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Really proud of the Maryland women. Best performance since the Louisville game last year. Brenda and her staff came in with a great game plan and executed it perfectly. I agree with the comments about McGuff. Basically he has nothing coming back for next season. tOSU may not be a 500 team next season.

The man sure knows how to burn up talent.

Reaction Score
Now if he could only sing;
How could so many on the BY be so wrong about the outcome of a game??
Me too. 18 percent picked MD. Brenda is giggling in her beer.

Reaction Score
How many championships does she have?
Had Mitchell played within the Geno system as Maya did--how would those number be? I don't know Mitchell but---I never met a nicer person than Maya Moore.

Reaction Score
Very good win for Maryland. I was only half right. The men laid an egg. The women played very well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sure her primary goal is to help her team win as many games as possible. Breaking the record might not be a priority to her, but she can't possibly be unaware of the possibility. Exactly like Plum last year.

I agree. There just seem to be a hint in some of the posts that she is focused on breaking the record. I have not doubt that she would rather end her career on a high note with her team rather that break any record.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom