Oh, How Miami Has Fallen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oh, How Miami Has Fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Too many bowl games. Created because the TV money is good and coaches need them to keep their jobs.

Can't fool the players though. UM isn't getting up for a game against ULL that doesn't count in the standings.
I love all the stupid bowl games. Everyone friggen one of them. Love the mediocre locations, love the strange sponsorships. All that is needed is perhaps more flexibility to create more exotic match ups.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. As much as I dislike the Big East, it seems that conference is set for a nasty run in men's basketball as long as UConn is a member.
UConn can win the Big East next year and still be millions of dollars behind the last place finishers of any of the P5 Conferences.

Reaction Score
I think this is pretty much the case. It's crazy, because Richt had them on a huge winning streak for a while. There was a lot of buzz, and good publicity around their program. Sellout games, all sorts of new facilities, the turnover chain was at the top of college football discussion, etc. Most programs would have loved to be where they were at that moment when they were steamrolling Notre Dame on national television, but their admin seems to want to go the other way. I don't understand it in this day and age.
Winning doesn't matter once your ticket is punched into the P5, only the money that rolls in.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This was brewing well before last night’s game but...

That was so ugly last night. I thought for sure Bobby was running the O for both squads.

Seriously, Miami's roster looked completely unimpressive with brutal QB play. Nate Martell, 5 star? Not even close.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn can win the Big East next year and still be millions of dollars behind the last place finishers of any of the P5 Conferences.
The decision for the BE was equal parts $ and long term fan interest. Cranky, arrogant, elitist, basketball blue bloods were never going to step out to the XL and Gampel to watch Tulsa, Tulane, ECU and even SMU, Houston and USF & UCF. To this day plenty of CT basketball fans can't name 50% of the AAC schools, but still can name every original BE member. Psychologically this fan base refused to accept the AAC.

This was also about accepting the fact we had fallen in a well on football. Never going to be able to compete against two schools in Texas, two schools in FL, one in Memphis that has no academics and the second best program in Ohio.

Third, this was about womens BB. There was a legit fear it could die in the AAC, particularly when stuffed behind the ESPN+ paywall.

Reaction Score
I was at the BC game where Diaco went for a fake field goal on 4th and 18 from the 19 yard line. I mean he basically turned into a mental patient by the time he was done here.

There is nothing that could be a bigger mistake than hiring Diaco, and I was drinking the kool-aid when he first got here.

He is what he is - a defensive coordinator. He is not a program builder. Never will be.
Diaco won 6 games in one year at UConn, HCRE2.0 has won 6 games in THREE years. Easy to be fooled by Diaco (at least as fans) given his ND success but we knew what HCREDreamJob1.0 did at Maryland for 4.5 years and took him back anyway!
If HCRE2.0 is any good, why aren't other schools sniffing around to poach him after his 3 year rebuild? He's only making $1,000,000 or so and has plenty of track record as a head coach. He could even bring a TE coach as part of the deal.

Reaction Score
I was at the BC game where Diaco went for a fake field goal on 4th and 18 from the 19 yard line. I mean he basically turned into a mental patient by the time he was done here.

There is nothing that could be a bigger mistake than hiring Diaco, and I was drinking the kool-aid when he first got here.

He is what he is - a defensive coordinator. He is not a program builder. Never will be.
Spot on Viking, Some Coaches are just made for that, Crazy Bob looks like a lifetime D Coordinator, and he appears somewhat competent in that single role, not withstanding the Nebraska fiasco. Just not anywhere near equipped to be a modern HC. An offensive mind and recruiting disaster. We're still paying for him.

Reaction Score
Norvell could get FSU back. The thing about all this is that the Power 5 teams all get the same media payout but 9 to 10 teams per conference have no chance to win their league, maybe ever. Can Penn State ever beat OSU or Michigan if they get better? The SEC has Ala, Georgia, Auburn and now LSU is back. The rest? Forget about it. Forever! When will this get old for the fans with constant coaching hiring and firings and rebuilds to nowhere? Can Frost get Nebraska back to Big 8 days of relevance? For most big time college programs decades of sucking are now unavoidable.

I'll give you OSU as they are the current bell cow of The Big 10. They've put together a string of success starting with Tress and continuing to Day that has been really impressive. Michigan OTOH... They haven't won the Big 10 since 2004, and their best divisional finish has been no better than a tie for second place since the conference went to the East/West Format. Nobody in State College is sweating what is going on in Ann Arbor right now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Diaco won 6 games in one year at UConn, HCRE2.0 has won 6 games in THREE years. Easy to be fooled by Diaco (at least as fans) given his ND success but we knew what HCREDreamJob1.0 did at Maryland for 4.5 years and took him back anyway!
If HCRE2.0 is any good, why aren't other schools sniffing around to poach him after his 3 year rebuild? He's only making $1,000,000 or so and has plenty of track record as a head coach. He could even bring a TE coach as part of the deal.
Please, give us a breakdown of Disastro's final year. He did everything he could do to get fired short of committing a crime.

Reaction Score
I have little doubt that Diaco was and probably still is a good DC. He was with Kelly in Cincy and Kelly brought him to ND. Kelly does not suffer fools.........for a minute.

I has at the Husky Walk at the Virginia game which was the game after Navy when Diaco botched the end of the game. He looked like a deer in the headlights. I was also at the BC game with the fake field goal. I don't know if the poor guy lost his glue or not, but, at the very least he was not ready for the seat he was given.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he did not have a clue how to recruit at UCONN. The disaster that we've had over the last three seasons is largely due to an almost complete lack of talent. I'm not apologizing for Edsal, because I don't think it had to get quite this bad, but he had very little with which to work. Slow doesn't even begin to describe the basketball teams Diaco recruited.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Winning doesn't matter once your ticket is punched into the P5, only the money that rolls in.

If I want to root for making money, I will buy stocks. I don't see how a school making money does me any good as a fan.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. As much as I dislike the Big East, it seems that conference is set for a nasty run in men's basketball as long as UConn is a member.
basketball success does not equal athletic department success. Basketball is not at the center of the universe.

Reaction Score
If I want to root for making money, I will buy stocks. I don't see how a school making money does me any good as a fan.
Without money, maybe a school will not be able to continue to sponsor the sport that one likes to follow.

Reaction Score
The Hurricanes had a tough end of season....

...Hill....opted out of bowl...NFL
...Thomas...opted out of bowl...NFL
...Garner....opted out of bowl...NFL
...Pinckney...opted out of bowl...peparing for NFL draft

...Jennings... out for season...injury
...Dallas...out...injury
...Steed....out...injury
...Bolden....out...injury
...Linguard...knee injury

Reaction Score

...Dallas...out...injury
...Steed....out...injury

Still had more talent than all the teams they lost to at the end of the season. Talent is never the problem there. The admin doesn't bother to even pretend to try, especially when it comes to hiring coaches. They got lucky when the Dolphins remodeled the stadium. They got lucky when Richt dropped into their lap and built up a great infrastructure. Then they got lucky again when he retired buyout free. They simply don't care. If they did, they wouldn't have passed on Dan Mullen twice.

Reaction Score
Talent ? not really at QB....their major problem last two seasons.

Mullen for coach? Maybe...but Florida offered him after two other targets declined (Kelley took UCLA and Frost went on to Nebraska).

Miami still had Richt when Mullen came on the market...Mullen had already turned Florida down after they let Muschamp go and most thought him entrenched at Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
Talent ? not really at QB....their major problem last two seasons.

Mullen for coach? Maybe...but Florida offered him after two other targets declined (Kelley took UCLA and Frost went on to Nebraska).

Miami still had Richt when Mullen came on the market...Mullen had already turned Florida down after they let Muschamp go and most thought him entrenched at Mississippi State.

The QB's may or may not be busts, but they don't have a prayer in the systems they have been under. Now that Enos is gone, Miami has yet another chance to bring in a coach who will play modern, up tempo, wide open football. We will see if Diaz does so or not, although they have other problems (and he may very well be one of them).

Reaction Score
Every school above did what they could to improve themselves financially but Miami will always have a special place for bullying, cheating and ignorance. During their peak years the players did everything they could to humiliate the opposing players on and off the field. Like someone much smarter than myself once said, "Make your words soft and sweet because someday you may have to eat them".

Reaction Score
basketball success does not equal athletic department success. Basketball is not at the center of the universe.
Mens and womens basketball are the second and third most popular college sports. Not bad ground to stand on.

Reaction Score
One may down play the effect...but I do believe that losing 4 starters and experienced players to NFL draft preparation has to have an negative impact...

Miami no longer recruits a top 3 class....they were #36 in 2019....the road back starts with recruiting, as does UConn's.

Reaction Score
Mens and womens basketball are the second and third most popular college sports. Not bad ground to stand on.
Unfortunately, being great at the second and third most popular college sports and relegating the most popular sport to an afterthought, left UConn behind when it mattered most.

Reaction Score

...Dallas...out...injury
...Steed....out...injury

Please stop. They were embarrassed.

Reaction Score
They have all declined, but the school that has declined the most is UConn.
Uconn has won National Titles recently. What have those schools won in any sport that matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom