Oh how I wish Christyn would get back to | The Boneyard

Oh how I wish Christyn would get back to

Reaction Score
taking as many shots as she did earlier. Thru 14 games she was averaging 10 shots per game, and shooting 56%. Over the last 9 games she's averaging just 6 shots, and shooting 35%. Somebody( or many bodies) should just yell at her,"Shoot Christyn Shoot!!" Like all good shooters , she's got to keep shooting. Even with her recent woes she's still 2nd on the team at almost 50%.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think she has turned the proverbial corner a bit. I think she was pretty aggressive today getting into the paint a few times, making some nice passes etc, I think she will have a good impact on the SC game.

Reaction Score
taking as many shots as she did earlier. Thru 14 games she was averaging 10 shots per game, and shooting 56%. Over the last 9 games she's averaging just 6 shots, and shooting 35%. Somebody( or many bodies) should just yell at her,"Shoot Christyn Shoot!!" Like all good shooters , she's got to keep shooting. Even with her recent woes she's still 2nd on the team at almost 50%.

Agree that it would be great to see her create shots off the dribble, pull-ups and dishing to the open shooters. The ND game showcased her versatility. Christyn's alleged defensive issues shouldn't be the reason she can't be a vital part of the offense.

Reaction Score

I lamented the same phrase--if only CW would shoot when she gets the ball or at least attack the basket. I and we forget she is not the keeper of her game--Geno dictates what he wants from her. Has anyone heard, lately, any comment from Geno saying "I want Williams to shoot whenever she has the ball in her hand?"
She has nailed a couple of killer 3's in recent games--did you see the smile? It lit up Connecticut and I could see the light from here. I love that young lady, she will return to form for the 6 final games this year and shall be the go to player the next three years---her star is beginning to shine brightly again.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I lamented the same phrase--if only CW would shoot when she gets the ball or at least attack the basket. I and we forget she is not the keeper of her game--Geno dictates what he wants from her. Has anyone heard, lately, any comment from Geno saying "I want Williams to shoot whenever she has the ball in her hand?"
She has nailed a couple of killer 3's in recent games--did you see the smile? It lit up Connecticut and I could see the light from here. I love that young lady, she will return to form for the 6 final games this year and shall be the go to player the next three years---her star is beginning to shine brightly again.

He said today he thinks she's coming around and he thinks she'll get there. Where there is he left unspoken.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Agreed! She must do only what Geno tells or allows her to do. But.....as we all know, when you're in a slump, the only way you get out is to hit or shoot your way out depending on what kind of slump you're in. That's gospel my friend!! :cool:

Reaction Score
Agreed! She must do only what Geno tells or allows her to do. But.....as we all know, when you're in a slump, the only way you get out is to hit or shoot your way out depending on what kind of slump you're in. That's gospel my friend!! :cool:
I don't think she is in a slump. She missed a few, she hasn't taken many, is that because she is concentrating on those things Geno wants her to focus on or is she not shooting to not miss--I believe its the former. She is passing well, defending "well" her focus isn't on making many points. But then too I believe (I'm a believer) she will, in late March once again bring out that CW that has been hidden and improved. Just opinion--unlike your thoughts which are backed up by stats and facts. Thanks Scoop.

Reaction Score
He said today he thinks she's coming around and he thinks she'll get there. Where there is he left unspoken.
As I just told Scoop: THERE is the NCAA's in March. Unless I misjudge the prowess of Genos motivation and this confident aggressive woman of November--she will again sparkle in March and April (as another Uconn frosh once did not so long ago)

Reaction Score
I slightly disagree with this. She needs to be more aggressive and Geno wants her to. You don’t make her the focus for a game like Notre Dame and then put the brakes on her. She simple hit the freshman wall. But I think come tournament time she will flip the switch. All great ones do!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
There’s something quite endearing about CW. She has potential to be one of the all-time fan favorites. All she has to do (all?) is keep on growing her game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
They showed Geno yelling at her on the Geno Show today. Boy was he being mean!

Tough love. That's why she came to UConn. She knew that Geno would not allow her to cheat her potential.
On her senior night, they'll reminisce, think back to those moments, then look up at the wall to gaze at her jersey, then look at each other and smile. :D

Reaction Score
Tough love. That's why she came to UConn. She knew that Geno would not allow her to cheat her potential.
On her senior night, they'll reminisce, think back to those moments, then look up at the wall to gaze at her jersey, then look at each other and smile. :D
I hope you are right! He was really getting after her on the bench during today's episode.

Reaction Score
"Slump" implies a shooting slump, which is not accurate. She had a mini-slump in early Jan when she went 2-18 over 3 games. But since then she's 19-42 (45%).

Geno wants her to learn to impact the game besides scoring . She is still figuring that out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno annoyed at CW for jogging on a fast break and let her know it. Not exactly corporeal punishment. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
There’s something quite endearing about CW. She has potential to be one of the all-time fan favorites. All she has to do (all?) is keep on growing her game.

As I remember, this time last year, we were having these same observations and concerns about Megan Walker who was also #1 coming out of high school. It was painful to watch then too. Christyn is a freshman!!! She's going to play like one. No doubt her teammates are giving her the same advice their upperclassmen teammates gave them: "We know it's hard, we All went through it. Just hang in there, just get through it".

Geno said one of the very few freshmen to come in an get it right away was Maya. She said it was not as easy as it may have appeared. It was hard for her too. Maya was unique. Most UConn fans say that Dee is the greatest player to come through the program since Geno's arrival. If you look at all of the individual team records in UConn's media guide, you'll see one name at or near the top in every category, and it's not Taurasi's.

No matter how good or accomplished you are, it's a good bet that you are not going to come into to Geno's elite Div 1 program, and pick up where you left off in HS. Next year, it will be Aubrey Griffin's turn to run the freshman orientation gauntlet, including an encounter with the wall in mid January.

There are a number of dynamics that go into freshman orientation at the elite level of a MAJOR program in WCBB. Not so much at a small mid-major or a D2 program. Did you read the quote from Holly Warlick this week? She said (I'm paraphrasing) that her staff recently realized that most of her incoming freshmen lack basic basketball fundamentals. She said she and her coaches are now going about teaching their players the basics, because they can't function in games with the skill set and BB IQ they have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I just want to see her shoot more. That's how to get out of a shooting slump. After Monday, there are a bunch of creampuffs. Drive Christyn drive. Shoot Christyn shoot. If she doesn't get back to being a scoring threat, they don't win the title. Right now I think the rest of her game can wait. Been awhile since I coached my last national champions, though.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You said that to say what? Who cares?

Reaction Score
Maybe not getting conference freshman of the year, will give her a little extra motivation come tournament time.

Reaction Score
When she shots in flow of game, she is relatively steady. Other times appears much of game to be thinking too much but when you have Geno screaming at you that is understandable. Saw with Walker last year and hope Williams will follow same positive path.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom