Oh Boo Hoo Hoo: Then Quit Dammit! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oh Boo Hoo Hoo: Then Quit Dammit!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I am in total agreement with the idea of "exhausting" ..... and have long thought this.....

It takes incredible effort and management to stay on top for so long.... and fine tuning the program for optimal results.... John Wooden was a great coach.... but the 60s and early 70s were decidedly less competitive than today.... Pat Summit was an icon of the game... but WCBB is a different game now.... and much more competitive.... I am sure even LV fans would agree with this.....

And what about the evolution of the players coming up.... the coaching... or lack of it.... the social media.... the iPhones... etc.... the "me" generation.... it is so hard to sustain greatness in a team oriented environment no matter what the sport....

Salute to UConn coaching staff for leading the way in WCBB... very proud to be an alum and fan

It's alot easier when you know exactly who you are, what your program needs, and can sell that vision to the players who are willing to get there.

It's a lot of work on the front end. But clearly you can see the results are worth it.

What makes guys like Wooden, Geno and Belichick where they are in the pantheon of great coaches, is they have all those things lined up so well, and no player is bigger than their vision.

It also helps that each was ahead of their time with certain aspects of the game (Geno with 3pt shooting, BB with using the TE and slot WRs etc.).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Geno loves to have something to piss and moan about, otherwise he wouldn't be himself. If there wasn't anything he'd invent something.

He's also a perfectionist. Anything less than perfect and he's introspective, likely fretting over little things he's possibly not doing, or doing wrong, in his own estimation.

I think he uses his brash, wise guy public personality to mask a deep insecurity. As a perfectionist, no matter what he accomplishes, it will never be quite good enough in his own mind.

All of these things have helped drive him to the heights he has achieved.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Link?

prez-lincoln-gif.gif

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think he uses his brash, wise guy public personality to mask a deep insecurity.

Of course. He's in video speaking about this on several occasions. He's still a little immigrant boy trying to fend for himself and his parents in a foreign land and he unabashedly admits fear of failure haunts him.

Reaction Score
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! The day Geno quits is the beginning of the end of a dynasty.
Probably right! That's where the parallels with Wooden has to end. Gene Bartow????
There has to be a seamless passing of the baton. It has to be to a lifelong Husky, down to the bone. Shea Ralph?? Someone more iconic, like Sue Bird? Geno, in his final stroke of genius, has to leave the program intact.
I learned as a young manager, that the true measure of ones managing skills, is how the operation runs when you are not there. I remember feeling a bit of pressure the Fridays before my vacations. The big bosses would be watching.
Who's going to take over for Coach K. None of his disciples are near as good as he is- Amaker, Wojo, Collins, Dawkins, Capel.
Here's a good radio show topic- who is the best offspring of a famous coach in history? Any sport. Just thought of Pat Riley as a offshoot of Adolph Rupp. But he did not coach Kentucky. Maybe they have to coach at the same school.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ulysses Grant was a horrible defender!!!!

You know he worked through some horrible generals before Grant came along. Maybe McClellan was the worst. Cigars and whiskey kept Grant on course.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry Rocky, but the expectations combined with dealing with different personalities everyday, these alone would crush me.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
@formerlurker @RockyMTblue2

Thanks. I've found it interesting to how much Presidents age. Eight years is a long time, so you'd expect a President to have aged, but it is striking how much the stress of the office seems to weigh on them.

It is interesting to think about what drives hyper-successful people. Often we think it is confidence in their abilities and the decisiveness that flow from that, but insecurity and fear of failure is a powerful motivator as well.

Reaction Score
As we age we usually change in ways good and bad. As Auriemma has aged I think he became an even better coach. His insatiable thirst for new and better ways of doing things translated into better efficiencies and fewer mistakes from his teams over the years.

However, he doesn't check off many of the boxes for maintaining emotional, brain and physical health as we age. He checks off two of what recent research indicates are the most important to be sure, being social and being active. He also embraces his altruism, a healthy but scarce condition in a society where we are convinced we are supposed to be self-interested. But he lives a life of high stress, low exercise and low positivity in his approach. I don't know how much he smokes, drinks or what his diet looks like, but if not atrocious I suspect these factors are not superlative either.

On the one hand he has "mellowed." That may be a euphemism for he has "tired." Meanwhile, I do think his outlook has become more negative, what Rocky perceives as "whining." Actually, I think this has become an affliction of baby boomers as a whole; I'll hold back on the theories why I think this might be so.

Frankly, I'm a little concerned. As a person who has brought me great entertainment and even joy I wish the best for him. This may get me tarred and feathered with this crowd, but I suspect the best for Auriemma is to find a less stressful, less time consuming social activity to pursue, sooner rather than later, rather than coach the program with the greatest expectations in basketball, men, women or pros.

Only Geno knows when it's time to leave.............as far as I can tell he is still getting great pleasure from watching his kids improve on the court and off..............if he successfully recruits Jones, Bueckers, Fudd and others he'll most likely hang around for quite a while.............if he sees a drop off in recruiting due to a scarcity of great players willing to learn under his system then it will be time to move on........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@formerlurker @RockyMTblue2

Thanks. I've found it interesting to how much Presidents age. Eight years is a long time, so you'd expect a President to have aged, but it is striking how much the stress of the office seems to weigh on them.

It is interesting to think about what drives hyper-successful people. Often we think it is confidence in their abilities and the decisiveness that flow from that, but insecurity and fear of failure is a powerful motivator as well.

But Hannibal, the elephants, the mountains ....:eek: Both can get you in trouble. But relax tonight, there are no fiddles in Geno's Rome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably right! That's where the parallels with Wooden has to end. Gene Bartow????
There has to be a seamless passing of the baton. It has to be to a lifelong Husky, down to the bone. Shea Ralph?? Someone more iconic, like Sue Bird? Geno, in his final stroke of genius, has to leave the program intact.
I learned as a young manager, that the true measure of ones managing skills, is how the operation runs when you are not there. I remember feeling a bit of pressure the Fridays before my vacations. The big bosses would be watching.
Who's going to take over for Coach K. None of his disciples are near as good as he is- Amaker, Wojo, Collins, Dawkins, Capel.
Here's a good radio show topic- who is the best offspring of a famous coach in history? Any sport. Just thought of Pat Riley as a offshoot of Adolph Rupp. But he did not coach Kentucky. Maybe they have to coach at the same school.

Forget about the disciples's theory. There's no disciple to ever lived up to their teacher.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Only Geno knows when it's time to leave...as far as I can tell he is still getting great pleasure from watching his kids improve on the court and off....if he successfully recruits Jones, Bueckers, Fudd and others he'll most likely hang around for quite a while...if he sees a drop off in recruiting due to a scarcity of great players willing to learn under his system then it will be time to move on...

If you were to say: "We don't know when it's time ....," I agree. I'm only making observations and interpreting based on my experiences and research, but I certainly don't know. However, if "Only <John Doe> knows when it's time to leave ...." were true, there would be fewer cases of dementia, arthritis, heart attacks and other afflictions potentially related to stress and a compromised lifestyle.

Reaction Score
If you were to say: "We don't know when it's time ....," I agree. I'm only making observations and interpreting based on my experiences and research, but I certainly don't know. However, if "Only <John Doe> knows when it's time to leave ...." were true, there would be fewer cases of dementia, arthritis, heart attacks and other afflictions potentially related to stress and a compromised lifestyle.

I have a feeling a guy like Geno would be more likely to suffer a heart attack, depression etc if he simply retired and moved to a beautiful house on a golf course in Florida................

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry Rocky, but the expectations combined with dealing with different personalities everyday, these alone would crush me.

Know thyself. Wise man/gremlin, er ....game bot?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom